Author Topic: Blueprint / Marshall Engines any good  (Read 7374 times)

Offline dodge freak 2

Blueprint / Marshall Engines any good
« on: April 03, 2010 - 06:30:30 PM »
Say been a while since I was here--no fun it seems when car is in storage for the winter.

So I get my ride out mid March like always and busy then installing stuff I got off Ebay during the winter. After about 10 days I finally get on it in all 3 gears shifting at my usual 6,500 rpms. All seems all right, then exiting the freeway I hear KNOCK KNOCK--- looking at my msd tack I see the highest rpm was 6,800 so I must had missed a shift but done it last year--long story short, it seems either I spun a rod bearing or cracked a piston. Haven't opened it up but ruled out, leaky exhaust, loose T.C. bolt, trans bolts, engine mounts, etc. Lifters / rockers are all tight and move up and down as engines running.  It is fine idling but after 3,000 rpms cool and 1,500 rpms warm it knocks and gets louder with more rpms. Was too lazy to change my leaky oil pan last Dec and had my friendly near by shop put a new pan and oil pump on...can't really blame them since its from 2001 and I drive it hard and have 3.91 gears. But seems odd and I wounder if the pump pick up is too close to the bottom and hurt the flow of oil...but what is done is done. I need a new short block now.

So I'm thinking maybe its time to move up from a 318 with 360 heads and either get a 360 motor or better yet, a stoker 408. Then I won't have to turn it as tight..but likely will if not this year, neat year--ha ha.

Muscle Motors is close to me and did mill my MP 360 heads back in 2007. Am busy getting a firm price but since they closed down for Easter early last week it be Monday or Tuesday. Online they show a 390 stoker starting at $2,900 and the 408 from $3,000..och.

Then today I seen a place called Blueprint motors and Jegs and Summit used them for crate motors. They have a 408 for just $1,900 plus $175 shipping but no sales tax for me.

M.M. motor does use I beam rods and apr main studs, Blueprint uses HD Mopar rods and just bolts in the main caps..no balancer or flexplate either like M.M. has.

Then to muddy the water more a place called Speed-O- Motive has a 408 for $3,000 but uses H beam rods and forged pistons..but again bolts in the main caps. 

:screwy:

So I'm getting a headache trying to decide what to do..I am getting a price on a good 360 Short Block for M.M. and might end up getting it depending on price.

Here is the links to the 408 stokers

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-224-73-mopar-360cid-to-408cid-street-master-stroker-engine.aspx

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=74

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/short-blocks/small-block-short-block   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010 - 06:45:40 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline dodge freak 2

Re: Blueprint / Marshall Engines any good
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010 - 11:38:03 PM »
This stinks, I found Blueprint short block on Jegs but Jegs has posted its the newer Magnum style!

Blueprint has it posted as its the older LA style!

Both have the same item number BPC4080

I sent a PM to Blueprint asking WTF, lol

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BPC4080/10002/-1#moreDetails

You have to click on the More Details (you think by now Jegs could make its site more user friendly)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010 - 11:40:12 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 - 03:05:51 AM »
I've not heard good things about them in the past, but I don't have one so that's just what I've heard.

Here are a few of the threads posted on them before...

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=56938.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45438.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=51156.0

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010 - 10:17:40 AM »
That "close to me" approach would seem to have it's benefits if ya know what I mean. Go see them so they will know your for real & see if they can work up a deal for you.  :2cents:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010 - 03:08:06 PM »
Yep, what I am thinking. M.M. has seen me back in the Fall of 2008 when I scored those too good to be true MP high swirl cylinder heads from the mid 90's with 2.02 intakes plus had newer springs for $250 on a buy it now on Ebay (I seen them just 2 hours after he posted it for sale) M.M. milled the heads and checked out the heads and redid a few seats but I can't recall how much, think $300??

So the guy I am talking with over the phone was who I met last time.

I am telling him tomomrow I really like the 390 CI motor--have a new nice oil pan and a BM flex plate  for the 904 trans which BM no longer makes. Less parts to buy cause my budget is like $2,500 and they are asking $2,900 before tax just for the short block. Plus I need new oil pump, gaskets, cam and lifters--thou I might take a good look at my old cam and just use new lifters. A new timing chain thou I should get.

My gut feeling now is that Bluepoint block is the Magnum cause all their full motors are based on the Magnums.

The s.o.b.s might just be posting its a LA motor so you buy it and then not want to pay shipping costs to send it back and decide to get the Magnum heads, intake, etc.

If so its a company I don't want to do business with.

Besides M.M. motor sounds like its built better but I should get forged pistons due to my driving style.

Later on I might even get like 2.94 gears (did I just say that ???) and go on some long trips with the car. The stoker still will be hurt by those gears--3.23 would be best--but might pull better than I think but should it ping easier too.

So budget is $2,500, M.M. is asking $2,900 before the forged pistons and I need other stuff to put it together :P

Anybody wanna donate some funds :icon16:   

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010 - 11:53:57 AM »
This stinks, I found Blueprint short block on Jegs but Jegs has posted its the newer Magnum style!

Blueprint has it posted as its the older LA style!

Both have the same item number BPC4080

I sent a PM to Blueprint asking WTF, lol

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BPC4080/10002/-1#moreDetails

You have to click on the More Details (you think by now Jegs could make its site more user friendly)

This is what I got back from B.P.

Thank you for your interest in Blueprint Engines! Our shortblock 408ci
is a LA style block - we actually use the LA style on both of our
complete engines as well. Thanks Peter and please let me know if you
have any additional questions!

Dru

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010 - 11:55:24 AM »
Somthing to consider... If MM is building it, the labor and machining will be top notch. Why not do a 360? It's cheaper for parts, easier ON parts, and will do quite well. I'd think MM could do a 360 short for that $2500 pretty easy. I have not been a fan of Blueprint because I thought thier claims were too good to be true. Some found they were ok, some were/are continuing nightmares. I would stay away from them if at all possible.

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010 - 11:59:12 AM »
Yeah I phone M.M. today and told the dude I don't think I can afford the stokers short blocks but like a good 360 short block. So he is going to get back with me.

I'm not so sure my little 8 1/4 rear axle would hold up either...then I be posting how my axle broke on the 2nd to 3rd shift....if I didn't get killed, lol.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010 - 12:04:25 PM »
Well, a lot of guys don't think about the rest of the car with a stroked engine. I find it's better to get your money's worth out of a smaller engine, than try to squeeze more for less in a bigger one.

Offline fantum

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010 - 01:35:21 PM »
 :iagree:  What he said!
Mike

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010 - 01:42:39 PM »
Wow, they aren't cheap.

He says I only save a little doing a 360, like it be $2,600 plus tax and their 390's are $2,899. The 390 I can reuse my oil pan. 

To make my 318 a 390 it be $2,700....there isn't no tax on labor just parts but he like ignored me saying that. So its 6% tax on those prices.

Comes with no oil pump, cam, gaskets...but thought they all could be reused since they are a few years old or less. Well not the gaskets, ha ha.

This stinks. 

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010 - 01:53:32 PM »
Called PAW for unassable short block 360, $1800 to $1900 with cast stock compression pistons plus around $250 to ship.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010 - 06:44:08 PM »
I would see if PAW can install some hypereutectic performance pistons on the rods in that shortblock and re-balance it for a little more. I think they can do that and the worst thing about stock pistons is no compression and no valve reliefs.

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010 - 07:04:10 PM »
I ask what upgrades pistons they have, like forged. Oh they don't make forged anymore for that engine. If you want to spend $1,100 or $1,800 (I forgot what, I think $1,800 he went) you can get custom pistons made.

Speed-O-Motive is getting a good 2nd look at. Their stokers are $3,000 and has H rods and forged pistons the website is posting but I be calling to confirm.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:07:16 PM »
I ask what upgrades pistons they have, like forged. Oh they don't make forged anymore for that engine. If you want to spend $1,100 or $1,800 (I forgot what, I think $1,800 he went) you can get custom pistons made.

Speed-O-Motive is getting a good 2nd look at. Their stokers are $3,000 and has H rods and forged pistons the website is posting but I be calling to confirm.

I think I paid about a grand for forged Diamond pistons custom ground from Muscle Motors.

Before you order pistons you'll need corrected deck height, head CC's, head gasket thickness when compressed, Finished bore, desired CR. rod length, stroke.

There might be a few things more, but that's what I recall off hand.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010 - 09:11:35 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.