Author Topic: Goody's How To - Headlight Relays - 2 bulb hi/low  (Read 7774 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Goody's How To - Headlight Relays - 2 bulb hi/low
« on: April 04, 2010 - 01:17:57 AM »
I am copying some of the 'how to' stuff I had posted on my old Goodysgotacuda.com site on here. Hopefully it sticks around for a bit, or is at least 'searchable' now.  :wave:

I installed a pair of H4 headlights on my 1972 Barracuda, which are now run off relays. The bulbs are 90watt low beams and 100watt high beam H4s (plug is identical to factory sealed beams). This makes for some serious lighting output over stock sealed beam lights. I purchased these off ebay (2006) for for about $24 shipped with bulbs. I searched under Camaro headlight conversion, at the time there were lights available for very cheap. Since the Camaros and many other cars from the day used the 7" lights, they dropped right into the stock buckets. Hella also makes a glass conversion light, I believe it is around $45 per light, and is a quality assembly.

These 'up to date' style halogen bulbs are very bright, direct replacement for stockers, and use the factory wiring if need be. I decided to make a new headlight harness which would run the lights off of relays, rather than try and get high power lighting out of 30 year old wiring. Which is not only inadequate, but also could be dangerous due to more current being run through them.

Here is the harness I made, it is certainly nothing fancy. Just measured the distance between the lights and wired it up. I used all 12 gauge wire with brand new painless wiring headlight sockets. All soldered and weather tight, wrapped. Rather than hacking my factory wiring too much, I just installed this harness in addition to the factory harness still being in it's place. The factory sockets are still there and functional if you decide to go back at some point. I did this so that the load of the lights is solely between the light, and the relay. The relays are only relying on the stock wiring for a extremely small amount of current to switch the relay internally via the factory headlight and high beam switch.

I used Painless Wiring part number #80300 sockets. They are around $15 or so.

That is basically it for the relays-out harness for the headlights. The sockets are the exact same as the factory ones, so to find which terminal on the headlights is for the high beam and low beam. Simply just turn on your high and low beams, using a test light see which terminal is hot when and that will let you see which terminal on the headlight should be hot for high and low beams. They are not both hot when on high. To wire up the relays here is a basic diagram of what wires go where on your four-post relays. I ran, I believe 15amp fuses to a mini fuse box I bought off Checker Auto's website. Anyway here is the diagram.

To connect your 'Tigger' wires to the factory wiring you can either use male spade connectors and plug them into the factory socket. Or, what I choose, was just Tap Splices. These wires are low current, which means that the load of the headlights do not pass through them. I have not had any issues with the tap splices, you could also solder and wrap any connections to the factory harness if you so desire. It just tells the relay when it should give power to the 'output'. That is all that is needed to be done to the factory wiring harness. Easily removed if need be, will not 'hack' into your stock wiring.

Low

High
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010 - 01:20:05 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Goody's How To - Headlight Relays - 2 bulb hi/low
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010 - 06:34:33 AM »
Thanks for posting! :2thumbs:
Electrical is NOT my strong point. On my stock headlamps I only have a 2 prong socket ( high beams 70 Challenger) I've been looking at headlights on e-bay and on the net and all the aftermarket stuff ( and newer stock) has a 3 prong bulb. How do or were does the extra wire for the other prong go? Meaning the 3 prong socket you show , how does that mate into the stock 2 prong socket?
Thanks Brad
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 - 07:07:43 AM »
3 prong is for the high/low beam combination and the 2 prong are for the high beam only.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010 - 09:05:05 AM »
3 prong is for the high/low beam combination and the 2 prong are for the high beam only.   :2thumbs:
Ah thanks that makes sence! But the aftermarket lights all have 3 prong bulbs, so how would one wire that up?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010 - 09:14:13 AM »
Ah thanks that makes sence! But the aftermarket lights all have 3 prong bulbs, so how would one wire that up?

You would wire your low beams/out boards like I mentioned. Then then the inboards would only be used on high beams still. You would check the resistance of the two filaments. Between common/ground and one terminal on the headlight. The one with the least amount of resistance would be the high/brightest filament. So you would wire your inboards to that.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010 - 09:16:50 AM »
You would wire your low beams/out boards like I mentioned. Then then the inboards would only be used on high beams still. You would check the resistance of the two filaments. Between common/ground and one terminal on the headlight. The one with the least amount of resistance would be the high/brightest filament. So you would wire your inboards to that.

I see now thanks!!! :2thumbs:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010 - 09:40:07 AM »
If you have all High/Low beams take 2 back and buy High only beams for the inboard lamps and get higher rated lamps, say 100 watt or more, I have a set of 150 watt which gives reasonable long distance lighting.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010 - 12:38:31 PM »
having a hard time searching the painless site. Could you tell me what part numbers I need for the headlight harness and the relays/relay bank and everything I need for a stock 71 cuda setup.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010 - 12:41:21 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010 - 02:07:29 PM »
Nice write up Goody!  :2thumbs:

I really should change out my headlights, the dim yellow glow makes it a little interesting at night. But wiring is not my forte, so this will really help.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010 - 06:39:23 PM »
having a hard time searching the painless site. Could you tell me what part numbers I need for the headlight harness and the relays/relay bank and everything I need for a stock 71 cuda setup.
Thanks.

I used Painless Wiring part number #80300 sockets. They are around $15 or so.

As far as relays and such I did not buy anything. Used what i had around, or acquired from the junk yard. 71 will be different than what I mentioned due to it having dual front lights. Only difference is the headlight high beam relay will go to all four lights instead of just two.
1976 Dodge Warlock

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010 - 05:54:37 AM »
As far as relays and such I did not buy anything. Used what i had around, or acquired from the junk yard. 71 will be different than what I mentioned due to it having dual front lights. Only difference is the headlight high beam relay will go to all four lights instead of just two.
Or you can run a 3rd relay which I have done and use it for the 2 inboard centre high beams, less load on the other high beam relay.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:31:08 AM »
Or you can run a 3rd relay which I have done and use it for the 2 inboard centre high beams, less load on the other high beam relay.   :2thumbs:

It would be about a 30a draw with four high beams going. A 40a rated relay would probably be just fine, the more common 30a relay would likely not have the longevity running all four, rather than splitting it up like you mentioned.
 :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:37:03 AM »
I am using the 40 amp relays as a precaution but the other reason is I have had relays drop out (quality ones) but for all 3 to drop out at once should never happen, over engineered maybe but safe.   :bigsmile:   :cheers:
Dave

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010 - 01:16:57 AM »
I am using the 40 amp relays as a precaution but the other reason is I have had relays drop out (quality ones) but for all 3 to drop out at once should never happen, over engineered maybe but safe.   :bigsmile:   :cheers:

Simple jumper wire will due for a failed relay. Small wire with two male spade ends. Jump 87 and 30 terminals and have whatever you want powered up. I've used paper clips before lol

Got my HIDs today and test fitted them. All plug and play, I'll find a spot to stick the ballasts and be good to go!
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010 - 06:42:36 AM »
Simple jumper wire will due for a failed relay. Small wire with two male spade ends. Jump 87 and 30 terminals and have whatever you want powered up. I've used paper clips before lol

Got my HIDs today and test fitted them. All plug and play, I'll find a spot to stick the ballasts and be good to go!

Please take some pictures as you go and instructions for us electrically illiterate? :bigsmile:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post