Author Topic: Goody's How To - Installing power trunk latch 72 Barracuda  (Read 2908 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Goody's How To - Installing power trunk latch 72 Barracuda
« on: April 04, 2010 - 09:39:08 AM »
Installing electronic release hood or trunk releases in you classic Mopar

*Pics, sorry due to my laptop crashing I did not recover the folders the install pics were in. This is all I have for now. :sadwavey:

Late 80's New Yorkers, 5th Aves, Diplomats and such came with electronic trunk releases. Turns out, for most classic mopars these are almost direct bolt ins, and in most cases the stock key setup can still be used. Usually minor trimming or spacing is required, but no cutting of your Mopar is needed.

Wiring:

Wiring of one of these is very simple. The case of the trunk release is the latches ground. Then there is only one wire that requires 12volts to pop the latch. Thats really it, I chose to wire mine off a relay for a consistant/confident pop of the latch. Also if you have a alarm, most times there are provisions for trunk releases, remote starts, etc. these can be used to pop the latches.

Mounting:

For use as a trunk latch, usually there will be some trimming required of the latch. If you look at the pictures with the latch off the car, and mounted in the trunk. You will see what is necessary. Most mopars with the key cylinder located in the center of the trunk will still be able to use the stock key setup to be able to pop it via key, or button. A Ebody cuda however, will require some fabrication work to keep the stock key working. Your factory bolts will work just the same and it has a adjustable height for proper closing.

For use as a hood latch, minor trimming is required for some cars. Some it is a bolt in. My e-body cuda required some trimming on the latch. Such as a challenger will be a direct bolt in. The stock release cannot be used, unless you fabricate it to do so. In a power outage incident on my barracuda a small screwdriver and be brought around to the latch from under the grille and it can be popped that way. I ran a electronic hood latch because I preferred to be able to open it from inside, and someone needs to look for it to get in. At the time I was daily driving the vehicle, slowing someone from messing around under the hood is what I was after.

These are very easy to install, work great, and add a little cool factor to your mopar without cutting it and little $!

Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Re: Goody's How To - Installing power trunk latch 72 Barracuda
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010 - 12:19:29 PM »
my 71 cuda supposedly has an electronic trunk release. How does it operate....I havent really looked under there, but shouldnt there be a remote button in the glove box or something, or is it just operated by turning the key in the tail panel?
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 - 03:33:46 PM »
Cool post ,my Challenger came with a trunk release but I haven't bothered to track down were the wire goes to yet? Can't find a switch to operate it?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010 - 06:41:35 PM »
As mentioned in the first post, the trunk release is out of an 80's Chrysler. Likely not related at all to the factory ebody release. Which I thought was vacuum operated for some reason?

Not sure, this is 100% not factory for an ebody.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link