Author Topic: setting initial timing  (Read 862 times)

Offline guys71cuda

setting initial timing
« on: April 04, 2010 - 06:36:26 PM »
remove #1 spark plug and cover hole with my thumb.
-crank engine until thumb is blown out(compression stroke)
-notch on balancer should be lined up or close to the 0 degree mark on the timing cover
-line up rotor and the #1 wire on the dist cap
-should fire right up or need a 180 flip then fire

correct?

a few questions:
does the physical position of the oil pump drive shaft or rotor position(other than with #1 plug wire) matter?
should the vac advance hose be connected when setting timing?

issue im having is the vac advance piece on the dist runs into the coil before the rotor lines up with #1 on the cap.

i know that im making it alot more difficult than it is, just very frusterated with this truck.

thanks again i really appreciate it. would be lost without you guys

Offline dodge freak 2

Re: setting initial timing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010 - 07:32:09 PM »
remove #1 spark plug and cover hole with my thumb.
-crank engine until thumb is blown out(compression stroke)
-notch on balancer should be lined up or close to the 0 degree mark on the timing cover
-line up rotor and the #1 wire on the dist cap
-should fire right up

Yep that is how its done. But you might want to have a timing light ready and be over the motor--watch out for that fan--and check the timing once the motor starts..so keep the dist a bit loose so you can adjust it. Have the vacuum advance plug and try for around 34 degress total timing..around 3,000 rpms depending on your springs in your dist.

No the oil pump drive shaft doesn't matter, oh your dist have the vacuum can, then it does matter. Stick a big screwdriver in it and lift and turn it just a bit like one tooth at a time until your dist has enough room to adjust each way.

This is something that you get better at the more times  and more often you do it

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010 - 07:32:41 PM »
the position of the dist drive makes no difference as long as the rotor is pointed where the #1 wire is plugged in
You can move the wire one position on the dist cap & rotate the dist 1/8th of a turn away from the coil

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline guys71cuda

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:02:22 PM »
ok did the whole crank with the #1 spark plug out. notch is about 1 or 2 degrees btdc. after i put the dist in i dont have to worry about that getting changed from cranking again right?

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010 - 10:27:06 PM »
 If you want the rotor to point at #1 set the oil drive shaft slot pointing towards it. Sometimes you need to set it a little off point (center or outward can't remember) initially then rotate the motor till if meshes in place. Check it again to see if it's on the correct tooth so the slot and rotor points to #1 .

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010 - 01:40:36 AM »
ok did the whole crank with the #1 spark plug out. notch is about 1 or 2 degrees btdc. after i put the dist in i dont have to worry about that getting changed from cranking again right?

once the dist is installed with the rotor pointed at #1 wire rotating the engine will have no effect

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t