Author Topic: Somebody Stop Me...considering a GULP........Import..  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Somebody Stop Me...considering a GULP........Import..
« on: April 05, 2010 - 03:16:33 PM »
I've always sworn off the Imports but several months ago when there was a possibility that VW would be locating a plant here I studied up on their offerings thinking this is one affordable import I could tolerate.  Well the plant went to TN so I forgot about them but several recent events keep turning my head toward their turbo diesel models, most recently my sons best friend has taken a sales position at the local dealership.  When I found out we did a search for the TDI models & I was surprised to see how affordable they are used.  Having suffered with a Lincoln Aggrivators 13/18 MPG for a few years & wanting to start traveling more now that the kids are off to college I'm thinking these 30-40 MPG machines would make sense.  Haven't driven or even sat in one yet but plan to go by the dealership today or tomorrow.    Someone please stop me.....Ieeeeee .....I can't sop myself.   :woohoo:

http://www.vwaudihuntsville.com/web/1887/vehicle/389302/2006-Audi-A4-2.0T-Huntsville-AL?condition_id=10426
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Somebody Stop Me...considering a GULP........Import..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010 - 03:37:18 PM »
my friend owned a A4 avant ( wagon) V6  2.7 tdi .  It drives great, and fast too.  He got rid of it for maintenance costs though.  I don`t know about shop wages in the us. but here VW charges about 90 euro`s an hour ( $ 120 )+ tax. 
*** Bart ***

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010 - 04:24:55 PM »
My mom has a Passat (gas engine) and the maintenance costs have eaten her alive over the years.
She is in the market for a new car now because the Passat has a low oil pressure problem even though the car only has 72,000 miles.
She likes the car, but says the only way she'd consider another VW is if she got an extended warranty, and she'd sell the car immediately as soon as the warranty ran out!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010 - 04:29:18 PM »
I must say that I've driven my cousin's modified Jetta TDI (large turbo, chipped by him, etc.) and I was quite impressed with the amount of power it had for a four cylinder with at the time 245,000-250,000 on the odometer (& it still gets really good fuel mileage). :faint:  I think most German automobiles come with a higher maintenance cost, but they are well-designed & usually hold out quite well. :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010 - 06:27:27 PM »
A Jetta TDi should be a perfect cruiser.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010 - 07:59:00 PM »
Gofish came over to my shop in a vw diesel. He drove from Oklahoma to me with the family in the car. He said he got 49-51 mpg in that diesel crusin at 70 on the interstate.  Made me think about getting one.  John said he had 300 k miles on the car and had to put an alternator on it was about it, and was considering buying a new VW.    FWIW

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:22:05 PM »
Bullitt,

Its your money!!!  All I can say is that I COULD NEVER do it.  I have to support the American Brands......being assembled in America (in my opinion) does not make it American.  Dont get me wrong, I am not criticizing your choice just reminding you to think about.......

Good Luck with your decision!!!

T1971Chally
Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:22:26 PM »
Gofish came over to my shop in a vw diesel. He drove from Oklahoma to me with the family in the car. He said he got 49-51 mpg in that diesel crusin at 70 on the interstate.  Made me think about getting one.  John said he had 300 k miles on the car and had to put an alternator on it was about it, and was considering buying a new VW.    FWIW

:iagree:

Right now the VW Diesel is the most efficient running car. Albet it'll outlive a Prius too. Diesels cost more but they go forever. You get what you pay for.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010 - 09:36:07 PM »
Bullitt,

Its your money!!!  All I can say is that I COULD NEVER do it.  I have to support the American Brands......being assembled in America (in my opinion) does not make it American.  Dont get me wrong, I am not criticizing your choice just reminding you to think about.......

T1971Chally

Not to hijack this topic, but I would still rather buy a vehicle made in the States even if the parent company is based somewhere else.  Too many "U.S." companies have all their stuff made in other countries.  That is one of the major reasons I will support Edelbrock, even if their stuff costs a little more.  Things made in the States employ people in the States which helps to keep the money here in the States.  Like I said, sorry to hijack this thread.  I don't have any problem with anyone buying what they want, foriegn or domestic.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010 - 11:45:41 PM »
Bullitt,

T1971Chally
Buddy I been living this as best I can for most of my life...But where's the BEEF... Damn overpaid union jobs, under performing POS cars, now the GD unions own the company & who do they keep voting for? WTF am I supporting? .. I was looking at the Dodge site the other day & the best MPG they had was maybe 30 out of their puny I4, anything with any power was under 25, Hell my 91 Jeep got 25 MPG. Between me, my parents & our business we have purchased dozens (probably a better than a Hundred) of new American models, some actually made here & gennerally have been happy  but damn it...if I'm going to spend my dallahs for economy I want all I can get...Economy & Power & I  found both tonight... Save for a slight perceived turbo lag these SOBs move.  I finnaly figured out there was less lag & more butt kick when the turbo does catch hold, had to watch the speedo & not listen so much to the motor... Wife is enthused, only problem is there are no used units avial. I was under the impression that 2.0-Turbo was the key...wrong they have a gas 2.0T..The Red AUDI I linked to was such an animal...drove OK but the power was nothing like the Diesel TDI  nor is the economy..... IF & that's a good sized IF we get one it may have to be new...crap crap crap. Bottom line, & this is a good thing...no ones trading them in..their keeping them.. Our Friend is going to search his network for a used one tomorrow.
   Well new ones get a $1300. tax rebate.   

OK ...Going to take my little pill now ....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010 - 11:48:53 PM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010 - 11:54:33 PM »
Hey Bullitt,

Like I said earlier....I was not criticizing.....just stating that I couldn't do it.  Like I also said its your money and your decision that as an American you earned.....

BTW...Like your title requested ""(Someone please stop me)""......I was just trying to stop you... :roflsmiley: :cheers:

T1971Chally
Ted

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010 - 12:01:31 AM »
Hey Bullitt,

Like I said earlier....I was not criticizing.....just stating that I couldn't do it.  Like I also said its your money and your decision that as an American you earned.....

BTW...Like your title requested ""(Someone please stop me)""......I was just trying to stop you... :roflsmiley: :cheers:

T1971Chally

Thanks for your support.....Well the balls kinda out of my court now that the lil lady is in on it....We'll own one before the week is out I imagine  :banghead:    :smilielol:
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010 - 12:12:51 AM »
Bullitt,

Just remember....all that matters is that she(and you) is happy!!!  If mama is not happy then no one in the house is happy.....

I understand the attraction to the diesel models....I use to drive a Jeep Liberty Diesel that got close to 30mpg.  Not great but for a box on wheels that is NOT aerodynamic by any means....it wasnt bad.   Unfortunately, diesel prices went up(2005/06 timeframe) and did not survive very long in the US market.

Anyway, I am sure you guys will enjoy it.

T1971Chally 
Ted

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010 - 01:22:08 AM »
I got sucked into that trap , I simply love diesels way more powerful & efficient & last for ever but when I had to get a Rabbit to afford the commute , it was getting 60MPG on the Canuck Gallon & I drove to Vegas & back for $80 , it was 2599 miles round trip which is awesome But I had to replace every single part of the car over 3 years , engine [drain plug fell out of the stripped oil pan], tranny , CV shafts , seats , shocks , tires , exhaust , shifter , fuel sender , mirrors , glow plugs , I ended up buying a spare rabbit for parts fortunalty but it was a total piece of crap & killed me in down time keeping it running , it is the Only Import I have ever owned

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010 - 08:22:18 AM »
VW is one vehicle I cannot buy, ever, I reckon they are over priced junk.    :stomp:
Maintenance and parts are very expensive, they have a habit of breaking down over here and unless you have their readers you cannot access the codes even with the best Diagnostic equipment.   :villagers:
Dave