Author Topic: she died again........@$^@#^...just need to vent a little  (Read 8566 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: she died again........@$^@#^...juat need tro vent a little
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010 - 07:23:40 AM »
How did you know the ammeter was bad?

No power anywhere to anything. After checking all of the usual suspects I findally pulled the instrument cluster and one ammeter terminal had melted.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: she died again........@$^@#^...just need to vent a little
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010 - 07:37:32 AM »
Yeah, see that makes sense.

In my case, I still have power to the dash, radio etc.  Thats why I have ruled out ignition switch and its connectors in my head for the most part.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010 - 09:01:51 AM »
I haven't followed this whole thread and I'm not a really great electrical guy. With that in mind...

Does all power run through the fusible link? Or does the dash bypass that?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010 - 09:40:33 AM »
I tried to keep up with this thread. So you always have had spark now that you've checked it twice, right after it died?

Is your fuel tank venting? Trying to think of something odd that is causing your issue, I think jiggling the wiring is just coincidence since you seem to be having spark.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010 - 11:42:10 AM »
Well, I seem to have spark while cranking.

But no idea if the spark is still there when the key goes back to "run" from "start".

As described earlier, seems like she wants to start.....it doesnt just crank and crank and crank...seems to want to run...then, release teh key from "start" and she dies immediately.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010 - 11:58:10 AM »
I haven't followed this whole thread and I'm not a really great electrical guy. With that in mind...

Does all power run through the fusible link? Or does the dash bypass that?
I think the fusible link is the whole enchilada....

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010 - 12:28:07 PM »
I think the fusible link is the whole enchilada....

I think you're right. I've had that one too, but I couldn't remember its sypmtoms.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010 - 12:29:58 PM »
Well, I seem to have spark while cranking.

But no idea if the spark is still there when the key goes back to "run" from "start".

As described earlier, seems like she wants to start.....it doesnt just crank and crank and crank...seems to want to run...then, release teh key from "start" and she dies immediately.

I know you've addressed this, but this description really sounds like a ballast resistor issue.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010 - 12:50:50 PM »
Well, I guess my plan is to get the harness back from BE.....while waiting for that, replace the ballast witha new one...gonna try for an AC Delco this time maybe...add the screw to hold the ECU plug on for sure.....pull the ignition switch plug apart and double check there is nothing goibng on in there (looks good on the outside)......and see what happens when I reinstall the harness.

Was also thinking about replacing the pickup in the distributor (although i replaced the whole distributer, incl a new PU, last season).....and maybe going for a mopar performance ECU just for kicks....I have to do some research on that though as werent people having issues with some of them?  I am running a stock type box right now.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010 - 01:20:35 PM »
You were asking a way to test the spark while key in run position. One way would be that you remove the dist with the spark wires still attached and while the key is in run position just rotate the dist shaft around with your hand and see if it is giving out a spark.

I started my engine first time last weekend and my "new" orange box died after bit less than 2 mins break in running. Swapped in a summit CDI box (mallory unit with summit tags) and had plenty of spark after that. After few more mins of running one rocker arm adjusting bolt split in half (luckily no extra damage) and my starter didn't like to disengage anymore so that break in was kind of busted. Hopefully my camshaft is still alive.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline tman

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010 - 01:34:41 PM »
Man, I did the same.  When I had your problem, bought a new system with distributor, ECU, ballast kit.  It did not solve it.  Had to go back to basics.  When it starts in the "start" position of the ignition switch, that is the primary system.  This bypasses the ballast resistor.  When you go to the "run" position or let go of the key, it is in the secondary system which goes through the ballast resistor.  Once I figured that out, I had to check my wires to ballast.  Mine is the 2 prong ballast.  When I pulled on one of the wires, it completely came out of the terminal.  That was my "aha" moment.  Maybe the wire in yours were tight, but how much copper was actually crimped in the metal terminal?  Was this part of the new harness you got? 
When I got my car, it was running like a gem.  3 yrs later, i started to get your exact problem.  I to was getting frustrated as to what happened from the last season of working great to the intermittent problem, then it was dying all the time after I release the key to "run."  So it sounds to me it is your seconday circuit that is having problems.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010 - 01:55:29 PM »
You were asking a way to test the spark while key in run position. One way would be that you remove the dist with the spark wires still attached and while the key is in run position just rotate the dist shaft around with your hand and see if it is giving out a spark.

I started my engine first time last weekend and my "new" orange box died after bit less than 2 mins break in running. Swapped in a summit CDI box (mallory unit with summit tags) and had plenty of spark after that. After few more mins of running one rocker arm adjusting bolt split in half (luckily no extra damage) and my starter didn't like to disengage anymore so that break in was kind of busted. Hopefully my camshaft is still alive.

WOW! You seemto have the same luck as me!   Its good to know that I am not the only one in despair right now...LOL      :wave:

It took me  minute to see that you said "remove the distributor" when talking about rotating the shaft.

Thing is, it seems that after just a few minutes the car will fire up again.....so by the time I would get the dist. out it would be past that time frame and the test would be moot.

If the damn thing would just QUIT for good, then it would be easier to test...but the intermittant nature of my problem is what is driving me nuts I think....

TMAN, I think you are right and its in the secondary system "somewhere".  I am hoping that the harness builder will find a problem and this will all be a memory.  LOL

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010 - 01:57:04 PM by shadango »

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010 - 04:38:37 PM »
WOW! You seemto have the same luck as me!   Its good to know that I am not the only one in despair right now...LOL      :wave:

It took me  minute to see that you said "remove the distributor" when talking about rotating the shaft.

Thing is, it seems that after just a few minutes the car will fire up again.....so by the time I would get the dist. out it would be past that time frame and the test would be moot.

If the damn thing would just QUIT for good, then it would be easier to test...but the intermittant nature of my problem is what is driving me nuts I think....

TMAN, I think you are right and its in the secondary system "somewhere".  I am hoping that the harness builder will find a problem and this will all be a memory.  LOL

I can really understand that. Our 67 Mustang is acting the same way. Intermittend dying and I haven't found anything that causes it. Once the car died 150 miles from home at two AM when we were coming from my soon to be father in law. I tried to do everything in my power and knowledge until our battery died out. We waited for couple of hours on the side of the road in constantly increasing rain for my father to come with a car and trailer to pick us up. On the next morning at home it started right up  :banghead:

On the next summer same thing, this time it totally died for mayby 10 secs or so in a traffic. So far I have changed spark wires, plugs, condenser, points, coil and I "rebuild" the distributor. No luck. I've been also wigling the wires all over and nothing, runs like a champ, until it abruptly dies without me touching anything. It kind of feels like a sulking Herbie the beetle from the movies  :rofl:
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010 - 05:48:50 PM »
runs like a champ, until it abruptly dies without me touching anything. It kind of feels like a sulking Herbie the beetle from the movies  :rofl:
Funny you said that...i was wondering if maybe I hurt my car's feelings some how and this is payback...LOL

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010 - 07:09:03 PM »
Funny you said that...i was wondering if maybe I hurt my car's feelings some how and this is payback...LOL

One time I stopped to get a Coke, in very hot weather, on my way to a job interview. Got back to the car and nothing, ignition, lights, radio all dead. Started tracing wires, checked the fusible link, pulled the dash, nothing. I'm already late for my interview, and covered in sweat and road filth. I started yelling at the car "You *****! Your whore! You slut! and pounding my fist on the steering wheel.

A couple of minutes later I put my head on the steering wheel and said "I'm sorry I called you all those names. I really have to go. Please start." I turn the key and she fired right up.

Things to think about  :sly:

- Han Solo, Star Wars