Author Topic: What Newer Economy Sedan Do You Have. Good/Bad  (Read 2851 times)

Offline jims70cuda

• My car photos
Re: What Newer Economy Sedan Do You Have. Good/Bad
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010 - 05:17:19 AM »
Neon SRT-4...if it is still stock. I have modified mine to near track and show only status (coil overs, sway bars, bigger turbo, exhaust...), and it still gets 30mpg+ on the hwy and 22-25 in the city.

Other than that, a Jetta/Golf turbodiesel or Mini Cooper.
cuda-challenger.com's resident ricer
1970 'Cuda 340 727 w/ 3.91 "Project"
Lemon Twist, black vinyl top, Hockey Stick, Go-Wing, Louvers
2004 SRT 4 "Scarlet"
Flame red, AAR 'Cuda Stripes, 1/4 mile - 13.4 @ 109 on street tires

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010 - 08:34:42 AM »
Wade your looking for the holy craile of cars buddy, a luxury family sedan with performance spunk, combined with great MPG and reasonable price and realibility. We all I'm sure understand completely. I'm not sure if one vechicle will comply to all that. But I hope you find it. I'll just tell you my wife's 300 although not an upscaled/optioned car is close. We've only had it about 2 1/2 years but have had absolutely no problems. And although just having the 3.5 (I beleive) it is not a tire shreader but it's not a dog either. And when I (emphasis "I" as in me) drive it longer distances the car easily gets mid to upper 20's MPG, now when Pam drives the MPG may decrease.  :roflsmiley: And I understand that new Hemi engine has the tech. to run on ecco mode and then can kick into performance mode as well ?  But I have no idea what kind of MPG it is capabile of getting. Good luck and happy shopping.  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Wannabe Kowalski

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010 - 08:53:14 PM »
Performance? No love for the Cobalt?

I'll put the Cobalt against the Golf, Altima, SRT-4 (not even made anymore) and anything else remotely in it's price range. He the Cobalt SS is the fastest car under 30k and I got the car out the door for $22,700.

AND it's got 4 doors.  AND a giant trunk.

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010 - 11:16:57 PM »
Sorry, but you could not put a Cobalt through what I've put my SRT-4 through and have the car live to tell about it. Hands down the best car I've ever owned. Raced every weekend for the first 3 years I owned it. Only destroyed two axles on slicks and drove home on them both times. It's a shame this car is no longer made. They still have a strong following and hold a strong book value. Problem is finding one that has been taken care of. Most are ragged out bad by now. My car has 104k on it and if I ever sell it someone will get a good car. Sorry no love for Cobalts here. Car likes them....not as well as it likes Mustangs though... :roflsmiley:
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline jims70cuda

• My car photos
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010 - 01:18:30 AM »
Performance? No love for the Cobalt?

I'll put the Cobalt against the Golf, Altima, SRT-4 (not even made anymore) and anything else remotely in it's price range. He the Cobalt SS is the fastest car under 30k and I got the car out the door for $22,700.

AND it's got 4 doors.  AND a giant trunk.

True, I have no problems with the newer Cobalt SS Turbos (260HP/260ftlb). The older supercharged ones were dogs. It's Chevy's version of the SRT-4. Another cost to think about is insurance...SRT-4s are very expensive, not sure about the Cobalt.

But if I had to buy a car right now I would go with a diesel VW.
cuda-challenger.com's resident ricer
1970 'Cuda 340 727 w/ 3.91 "Project"
Lemon Twist, black vinyl top, Hockey Stick, Go-Wing, Louvers
2004 SRT 4 "Scarlet"
Flame red, AAR 'Cuda Stripes, 1/4 mile - 13.4 @ 109 on street tires

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010 - 09:34:32 AM »
I don't understand why MA dropped the NEON & the SRT4 , of all the econo-box Krap out there they were one of the best IMO.... At least locally they were very popular.
  Would take a huge leap of faith to get a Cobolt....looks like it may for a VeeWee as well.  Repair cost on them appears to be unreal when they need repair.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010 - 09:46:42 AM »
I don't understand why MA dropped the NEON & the SRT4 , of all the econo-box Krap out there they were one of the best IMO.... At least locally they were very popular.
  Would take a huge leap of faith to get a Cobolt....looks like it may for a VeeWee as well.  Repair cost on them appears to be unreal when they need repair.

SRT4 caliber is no better than the Neon? I know nothing about it. Don't underestimate the cost of owning a German car.  :grinyes:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010 - 09:56:45 AM »
SRT4 caliber is no better than the Neon? I know nothing about it. Don't underestimate the cost of owning a German car.  :grinyes:
    Maybe the Caliber is good, but I'm not shopping Wagons.

:clueless:  Your German car statement is ubiquitous, please clarify.

Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010 - 06:25:45 PM »

My son is big into the VW/Audi crowd.  He has an older 1.8T TT and several of his friends have either the 1.8T/2.0T or v6 in their veedubs.  The 1.8T models are probably capable of 30 mpg or nearly that if driven 'normally', but of course none of my son's friends (or him) drive them that way!  Some of the parts are ridiculously expensive ($800 tank mounted gas gauge sending units that fail regularly for one, dash gauges that regularly fail for another) but the good news is they are 'relatively' easy to work on unless you're pulling the Turbo, etc.  So I know they're always working on theirs & replacing parts but that could have a lot to do with how they drive them, too.  VW has supposedly done a lot of work on their reliability and their sales have gone up accordingly.  All & all not bad cars.  :2cents:

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010 - 11:36:16 PM »
Some mileage comparisons to chew on...never driven a Prius or any of the others but I'll match race any one of them for pink slips.   :grinyes:

Vehicle      Transmission    CG mpg    EPA city/hwy mpg
1. Volkswagen Jetta TDI    Manual    40.1    36/41
2. Honda Civic Hybrid    CVT    38.0    49/51
3. (Tie) Kia Spectra sedan    Manual    28.5    25/33
3. (Tie) Toyota Corolla    Manual    28.5    30/38

I'm loosing 1.5-seconds 0-60 but this is what else I'm leaving behind  :P
2003 Lincoln Aviator

Engine    
4.6-literDOHC 32-valve V8

Horsepower    

Torque    
300 lb feet

0-60 mph    
6.9 seconds

1/4 mile    
15.4 seconds @ 93 mph

60-0 mph    
125 feet

EPA Mileage    
13 mpg city
18 mpg highway

MotorWeek's
mileage loop    
15 mpg
mixed city/highway
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010 - 11:45:52 PM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010 - 12:08:49 AM »
There used to be a website "SRTgirl" with this chick who had a SRT4 Neon. It had 260+ runs on it when it was tore down to install a new race motor. It did a best of high 11's @120+ never having the head off the motor. No bull. Just bolt on parts and an aftermarket turbo. The site cronicaled all the mods and what they did for her ET. The $300 MP "Stage I" mod gets you into the low 13's, or about the same as a supercharged Cobra Mustang of the same vintage. The trick is to find one that isn't beat to hell  :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010 - 12:14:02 AM »
    Maybe the Caliber is good, but I'm not shopping Wagons.

:clueless:  Your German car statement is ubiquitous, please clarify.

German cars are expensive to buy parts for, and expensive to repair. Flat out. I've worked on Porsche, Audi, VW, Mercedes and BMW. The design of the cars are just not very tech friendly, help of the internet is a good thing, but some challenges would make the average mopar man's head spin. Which usually requires a fair amount of extensive labor times when it comes fixing times. In general, rotors are not turned. They are replaced. Can be every brake job on some certain cars. Maintenance is expensive (I believe VW has a half decent 'free maintenance'. Oil changes and tire rotations?). Tires? 20" factory replacement tires on a 7-series are $550 a tire. 16" replacement run-flat tires are $300-400 per tire, most places also do not patch/plug them (due to when they are run on a flat, the sidewall is severely compromised). Consider what tires come on the VW and what it is when it comes replacement time.

BMW does have true maintenance; pads and rotors, oil services, oil changes between oil services, microfilters, air filters, etc, etc etc. Now I don't have nearly the VW experience in comparison to my BMW experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

They are in general, plain expensive. That needs to be taken into consideration with anyone that buys one. Many people see a 2003 7series, for $25,000 and may think 'what a deal, that is a $80,000 car'. Well sure it is, it's also a $80,000 car to repair as well. I've seen many people get buried in a fancy car, that they literally couldn't afford to drive. Since you would be buying the VW new, you'd probably have a better idea on it.

There is much more to a car than mpg figures, cost and looks. It will break, the warranty will end, can you afford to maintain it? Just trying to elaborate on what I see everyday.

btw the shop labor rate at my dealership is $170per HOUR (after shop supplies/tax).
 :wave:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 - 12:17:11 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010 - 12:56:26 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucqz_DU_OOE

Must SUCK to be those two loosers.

German cars are expensive to buy parts for, and expensive to repair. Flat out.

There is much more to a car than mpg figures, cost and looks. It will break, the warranty will end, can you afford to maintain it? Just trying to elaborate on what I see everyday.

btw the shop labor rate at my dealership is $170per HOUR (after shop supplies/tax).
 :wave:

So True... I'm gonna be the sucker that buys the extended warranty to 100K & end up trading it off before then. 
  I'm looking at the VeeWee this way, I could have kept the 15MPG average paid for piece that I'm getting 9K out of for another 6-years, only has 66K now with no issues.
Driving 10K a year at 15MPG vs 30MPG cost of fuel savings would be $900 at today's price, more as the price goes up.  Also at the stage of life with the kids grown we would like to start traveling more so a cross country trip of say 3K at 18MPG vs 40MPG(Hopefully better I hear up to 50 but gotta keep real) saving $344....do that for 6-years at today's prices comes to $6,300.(about 1/3 of the purchase price less the sale of the Lincoln) which will take us through the warranty period.  In the mean time the Lincoln has no warranty so any service comes out of my pocket.  27K-9K-6.3K=11.7K to own for 6-years.. Adding the warranty through 100K is $2.3K    8 yr scenario   27K+2.3-9K-9.9K=10.4K to own for 8-years & have a full warranty
   Raise the price of gas from 2.70 to 3.50  27K+2.3-9K-11.9K=8.4K to own & have a full warranty. Then take into account the Aviator would then have 166K & I'm sure would have has some services by then & do you think i could get 8.4K for a 8 year old 100K TDi?   
  Yes I'm sure I'll be floored at the cost to replace the brakes & the like & no plan ever goes as expected. But there are alternatives to the dealer for service & hopefully parts. ..Tires are common 225/45R17 nothing expensive

HEY, It just occured to me IF all this is accurate & maintinence were about the same for the two & I could get 8-10K for the VeeWee in 8-years the dahm car would be free....I really need to do a spreadsheet.  :clueless:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 - 01:33:09 AM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010 - 01:34:40 AM »
You certainly have been crunching your numbers. When I bought my Jeep I was just glad it got the same mileage my 2wd Ranger did. It has factory lockers, mud terrains, rock sliders, sway bar disconnect, etc. Sounded good to me! lol. Average of 16mpg accessory/add-on money pit. Love it!  :bigsmile:

Enjoy the VW :2thumbs:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010 - 01:49:39 AM »
Actually I just did this on the fly, had already decided that 2X the mileage was gonna be good, there was one error I have now corrected, did the spreadsheet thing & all proved out.

Hey I got my 2-toys...98GT & 73Challey...enjoy the 4x4 thing a while then when all those kids of yours get in college...wish I'd thought of this 6-yrs ago.  :banghead:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 - 01:51:48 AM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!