Author Topic: What Newer Economy Sedan Do You Have. Good/Bad  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: What Newer Economy Sedan Do You Have. Good/Bad
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010 - 09:17:35 PM »
wade, when we talked I meant 302 not 306     long day buddy

YOUR PM BOX IS FULL TOOOOO

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010 - 09:25:51 PM »
Chrysler 300c best was 32 mpg at 75 mph flatroad. I love it. lights them up too.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline priderocks

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010 - 11:01:40 PM »
I would prioritize it this way; 1) function 2) reliability 3) mileage. Here's why.
You will never be happy if the car is too small, rides too rough, or is unsuitable for long trips with more than two people in it. If you drive 15,000 miles a year at 30 mpg with gas costing $3.50, you'll spend $1750 per year. A larger, nicer, quicker car that gets 15 mpg will cost you $3500 per year in gas, or about $150 more a month. That's not much to pay for a comfortable, quieter bigger car you will enjoy driving more. Lastly, an unreliable car will obliterate any savings you might realize in gas mileage.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010 - 09:01:10 AM »
wade, when we talked I meant 302 not 306     long day buddy

Alan, Thanks for thinking of me Buddy.. SCHEDULE some time off & I'll come help you for a day.   :thumbsup:

Chrysler 300c best was 32 mpg at 75 mph flatroad. I love it. lights them up too.

Those are sweet, test drove a HEMI when the first came out...wifie wanted one but we held off.   32 on the road ain't bad...Vee Wee should get upwards of 50 , 30 around town.

I would prioritize it this way; 1) function 2) reliability 3) mileage. Here's why.
You will never be happy if the car is too small, rides too rough, or is unsuitable for long trips with more than two people in it. If you drive 15,000 miles a year at 30 mpg with gas costing $3.50, you'll spend $1750 per year. A larger, nicer, quicker car that gets 15 mpg will cost you $3500 per year in gas, or about $150 more a month. That's not much to pay for a comfortable, quieter bigger car you will enjoy driving more. Lastly, an unreliable car will obliterate any savings you might realize in gas mileage.

Go drive one, that's what we did, ended up fitting my ample backside just fine & I'm particular about the comfort of my backside, just ask my wife.. Nixed the Chrysler Pacifica because of the seats.  When we went to the dealership Monday I had no idea of what to expect...Drove a '06 Audi ?? gas burner & it was OK but noisy & a bit underpowered.. The '10 Jetta (redesigned in 07) while basically the same car is miles ahead in the suspension & the TDi Diesel blows it away performance & gets 10+better MGP.
  Plenty of room for 4-average adults, I would not want to go cross country in the back. Rides better than anything I've ever owned, has the firm German seats, the longer you sit the better they feel.  Diesel models are actually quieter than the gas models, not quiet like my Dads S500 but reasonable. We've had the larger sedan,94 LHS & loved it but it was not quicker, mini vans were the most comfortable as far as I'm concerned but there will just be the 1-2 of us most of the time now.  Reliability & cost to own are the wild card... I'm shopping extended warranties with maintenance. Maintenance is pricey on these & while the factory warranty is good I'd like to be covered just-n-case we were unlucky enough to have one of the biggies fail.... I have not had a biggie in 30 years on any family/personal cars. (plenty in the business fleet) Word is the 6-speed auto is 6K to rebuild, but finding anyone that actually had one fail is difficult.

Standing behind it last night at the dealership i bent down to check the exhaust...couldn't smell it..  :clueless:  Clean Burn Diesel...
  I know,  I need to go hug a tree  :roflsmiley:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010 - 07:54:03 PM »

Standing behind it last night at the dealership i bent down to check the exhaust...couldn't smell it..  :clueless:  Clean Burn Diesel...
  I know,  I need to go hug a tree  :roflsmiley:

Diesels have gotten seriously clean the last few years.  The old days of black soot are going, going gone.  Our newest coaches have '07 compliant engines (CAT C13) with diesel particulate filters that capture soot and periodically incinerate it.  The tailpipes are stay absolutely clean.  The 2010 engines, with SCR (aka Blue-Tek, like your VW) or advanced EGR are cleaner still.  :2thumbs:  Go hug that tree - it might hug you back!   :smilielol:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010 - 10:27:31 PM »
Busted, broken, worn out, raggedy, 1984 Subaru GL Wagon, with over 475K miles on it and counting...
Needed a clutch about 2004 when I bought it..haven't put one in it yet luckily..Engine oil pressure gauge looks like a tacometer.....Gear to gear timing so no chains/belts to replace....Engine will outlast the car...Don't have no throttle sticking, drive by wire crap neither...Gets around 32 MPG on the highway, and about 19-22 Round town.....Smells bad from a 8 3/4 chuck spill in the hatch....Looks like Pure "D" sh*t....Axles click upon every turn...today I had to tighten up the left front wheel bearing as the wheel was loose....Scared to replace the radio/CD palyer (Been out of service for over 4 years), cause I'm afraid it will blow up as soon as I do...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)