Author Topic: 71 Cuda paint question: how was car put together?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline antonellomopar

71 Cuda paint question: how was car put together?
« on: April 08, 2010 - 01:53:40 PM »
Hello
have just brought my 71 Cuda conv home from being painted , and am starting to put her back together. Car had been completely taken apart and painted a wrong color by previous owner. I had the correct B5 sprayed . How was car painted? I mean, was the valance put on after the car was painted? How were the fasteners finished? Were painted together with the main body or were put on after car was painted? If so finish was natural ? Car had been painted many times, so correct finish is not easy to understand.

Alaskan_TA

Re: 71 Cuda paint question: how was car put together?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010 - 10:15:59 PM »
The entire body was assembled, then dipped, then painted.

Valences were removed after painting, then put back on after the bumpers were installed.

The page at this link has some info;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1972/72_Dodge_Engineering0010.jpg
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010 - 10:18:14 PM by Alaskan_TA »

Offline antonellomopar

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010 - 02:17:28 AM »
Thank you Barry. So, if I understand correctly, all bolts, fasteners and cage nuts should be body color.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012 - 12:21:25 PM »
 :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:

Thank you Barry. So, if I understand correctly, all bolts, fasteners and cage nuts should be body color.
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012 - 12:25:52 PM »
Barry renounced his c-c citizenship, but you can reach him through his Hamtramck history and TA websites.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars