Author Topic: old drag car, anyone recognize?  (Read 1100 times)

71bronze

old drag car, anyone recognize?
« on: October 03, 2004 - 08:20:47 PM »
so anyway i was on my way home from work yesterday.......
70 challenger sitting on a trailer 1 road down from mine (1/4 mile). stopped middle of the raod and flipped a u.
"for sale"
'71 challenger"
"$???? obo" (i'll tell u later)
"303xxxxxxx Jim"

needless to say. i whipped out the cell phone and called. bought it on the spot. guy came down and we started bs'in. mopar guy, and we're neighbors. hooked the trailer up, drove the 1/4 mile to my house and he helped me roll it into the garage, right next to the 70 deputy i bought 2 weeks ago. went over to his place to pick up some "other parts" that he threw in with the car. perfect 2 spoke  black steering wheel from a '72 cuda (wifes drag car), a power steering pump, and a 2v carb that appears to be the center carb out of a 6pak setup by looking at the linkages. also going to bring me the power brake booster, a power steering box, any of the chrome that he didn't throw into the car, and whatever eles he thinks is from it.

opened trunk, all 3 rear lights, some new front spindles, and..... a flip top gas cover that is in excellent shape.
opened door, grill in relatively good shape, rear valence, and fornt/rear bumpers that are beautiful.

so how much would you pay for all this???

I gave $500, yes five Hundred.
it's actually a 70, and there isn't a title
he also has a 72 swinger i am going to pick up this week after payday. real straight car, good interior, no motor. $300. :)

so anyway, here's a pic of the car, pretty wild '70's style paint job. supposedly raced in the 70's in and around the denver area running a 440.
might end up getting me in trouble, already has the roll cage. just might have to return it to the track. ;)

would like to know any history, and any pics of the complete paint job.
Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
Re: old drag car, anyone recognize?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004 - 08:38:19 PM »
verrrry schweeeeeet!!!!!!
70 Barracuda

Offline budrinker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004 - 08:42:45 PM »
how much ya want for the brake booster?   lol

very nice for the price

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004 - 08:49:02 PM »
Very nice purchase  :)  I never seem to come accross any deals like that. :'(

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004 - 10:18:12 PM »
Go buy a lottery ticket right now!!  $500??  Are you serious??
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004 - 10:21:57 PM »
Wow, congrats!!!! :o :o 8) 8) 8)  That's one nice deal you don't see happening everyday.  As for any info. on the car, I don't have any. ::)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline purple6popper

• pics of my projects
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004 - 04:25:08 PM »
added a bunch of pics to http://photos.yahoo.com/tschmal  look under album typos. album tppos has (will have) pics from the '70 deputy I bought a couple weeks ago.
I found the meaning of life once, but forgot to write it down.

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004 - 05:27:35 PM »
Sounds like you're on a roll!
That old drag car was a STEAL & the 6-banger looks very restoreable!

Congrats! :)

'70 Charger 500

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004 - 06:07:49 PM »
what are the plans on the /6. Id keep the six if its a #'s car and race the help out of the new one looks like a killer deal.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004 - 06:38:40 PM »
Wow, after checking out both of your projects, all I can say is what a deal on that '70!!!!!!  That slant 6 '71 is pretty cool too, but the ex drag is too sweet!!!!  Keep us posted as you get work completed on each car. ;) ;D ;D
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline purple6popper

• pics of my projects
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004 - 11:53:23 AM »
first, I started the topics under 71bronze, but now I'm purple6popper.

i plan on restoring the 6 up to a point. the only intersting things about it are the paint and the interior. original purple deputy with a 2 color interior. seats, door panels, headliner were white. dash, carpet were black. if anyone has more details about the 2 color interiors, i would appreciate it because as you can see in the pics there's not much to go by. (also have a bunch of pics of the frame/pan i'm going to put on yahoo)

i think it's #'s match, and therefore the /6 and 3speed are coming out, and will be living in my shed until 6's are collectible. i was planning on a 440, but after reading some more am leaning towards a 451 (400 with 440 crank). plan on upgrading to power discs and power steering. with either auto or 4 speed. already bought the bracket/pedal for the auto off ebay.

already have the trunk and most of the roof sanded down. was going to rattlecan bare metal primer on it as i went, but the drag car has had the rear naked for a couple years and not rusted yet. going to sand / media blast everything first now and spray the whole car with a real gun. love the low humidity here in denver.

bought: grill, headlight parts, pass headlight bezel (really rough), missing pass glass, door handles, d&p front floor pans, all from ebay.

may end up selling the car if i actually track down the 71 383 vert i'm chasing.

bought the yellow one for parts.....

scared you didn't i. that was the original plan anyway. it's in too good shape to part out though. going to see if i can get the title for it. would be nice, but don't need a title to drag race. going to take detailed pics of the paint, and finish taking it down to bare metal also, then put back into primer. probably going to sit that way for a while $$$.

will be adding pics to yahoo as i make progress. will be sporadic though.

ps. they're both '70's
I found the meaning of life once, but forgot to write it down.