Author Topic: Tools!  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Tools!
« on: April 09, 2010 - 03:47:01 AM »
I have a decent set of tools over at my folks house where I stored my car.   I am a woodworker type by trade so I don't own many mechanics tools. 

Now my car is at my place and I need a complete set of mechanics tools.  I work on my Harley quite a bit so I need plenty of metric tools 12 pts and Torx+ Then I need some good tools for working on the Challenger. 

What is the best bang for the buck way to get a good set of tools?  I don't have a fortune to spend, and prefer made in the U.S.A.  Matco, Snapon, Mac are out of the question as I don't have the $$   Are craftsman any good?  That seems to be where i go whenI need somthing one off.   Maybe used off CL?  I can't stand crappy tools but I don't have the budget for good ones either!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Tools!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010 - 05:15:25 AM »
S&K is a good brand, so is williams, and you can go to pawn shops and yardsales to get snap on, mac, and matco at lower prices. Even ebay . I have found snap on tools there at bargain deals

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010 - 07:14:45 AM »
Along with Alans suggestion I have found too that Harbor Freight has some decent tools at really good prices. For instance, they sell a composite 1/2" and 3/8" ratchet that might look cheap but its tough as hell, I have a couple of them working for my underground in an industrial setting and neither one has failed. Allen sockets, all kinds of specialty tools can be had for a steal.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010 - 08:18:00 AM »
There are some good and reasonably priced tools around. I personally have always used Craftsmen, they are getting better in feel and design. And one thing about Craftsmen once you buy one of their tools you'll never have to buy another, just take the broken tool in and they will give you a free replacement. They even replaced a 25' tape measure for me once, but I guess they no longer replace those kind of items. I also belong to what they call "Craftsmen Club", periodocially they send out flyers with special (10%) discounts. Works for me, but to each their own.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Blue Stone

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010 - 08:21:58 AM »
 Craftsman will probly be just fine  but if you can find a used set or singles in Snap On or Mac buy them cause they are way way better than the any of the competition.....

BTW Harleys are metric now  :dunno:,  I used to own a 85 FXST and was a mechanic at an H-D dealer and nothing was metric.

After more thought I remember the front ends and rear suspension and axles were metric the Evo engines were all standard same for the frame too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 - 10:20:03 AM by Blue Stone »

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010 - 09:05:18 AM »
Craftsman all the way.  exchange forever.

I go to Auctions and find lots of tools for cheap.

I work wood for a living also and usually go to the auctions for the wood working tools.
Usually i end up with garage tools.

sucks that Harley is metric now.  Just like my Suzuki !

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010 - 10:55:45 AM »
Husky Tools are good too with lifetime warrenty through Home Depot
 Mac & Snap On are the best Period but not worth the cost for a hobbiest unless you get them at a pawn shop

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010 - 10:59:16 AM »
Craftsman is what I usually buy. You can get them on sale a lot of times, like around fathers day, thanksgiving, christmas, and lots of other times. Just keep going in every couple weeks until they have their stuff on sale. You can probably ask them when the next sale is. You can get a a basic mechanics set for around $200 and it wil have your 12 pts, metric and standard, and a few other stuff. Then just get yourself a good set of wrenches, some pliers, etc...

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00983227000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Hand+Tools&sName=Mechanic+Tools
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00934260000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Hand+Tools&sName=Mechanic+Tools
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010 - 11:16:16 AM »
Husky Tools are good too with lifetime warrenty through Home Depot
 Mac & Snap On are the best Period but not worth the cost for a hobbiest unless you get them at a pawn shop

Having I own the Snap on 80 tooth ratchets, I would honestly say that everyone who wrenches relatively often. Pay the money, buy the Snap on long 1/4", long 3/8" and long 1/2" drive ratchets. You'll spend a bucks, but man they are the cats me-ow! Go with Craftsman sockets and such, the ratchets are worth the money. I even bought them for my 'off-road'/'junkyard' tool kit.  :grinyes:

I've hit (and not love tap) my 1/4" with a 2lb deadblow to break a trans fill plug loose on a BMW. Where as the Craftsman 1/4" 'breaker bar' sheared off. (yes, only a 1/4" drive would fit in the spot). Worth the money!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010 - 12:27:54 PM »
Those Snap On 80 tooth are pretty damn nice! I have the GM Goodwrench 72 tooth ratchets like you buy at Oreillys and they are pretty great ratchets for being only 20 bucks a piece. I don't think I could bring myself to hitting them with a hammer though.......
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010 - 02:15:43 PM »
I've been using Craftsman for years doing woodworking and now on the Cuda resto.  Never had a problem with them. 

My  :2cents:
Sean

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010 - 03:25:45 PM »
All my wrenches and sockets are Snap On.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010 - 03:53:57 PM »
Those Snap On 80 tooth are pretty damn nice! I have the GM Goodwrench 72 tooth ratchets like you buy at Oreillys and they are pretty great ratchets for being only 20 bucks a piece. I don't think I could bring myself to hitting them with a hammer though.......

Some of those other fine tooths take a lot more effort to let is 'freewheel'. Which i would find on some fasteners to be a pain. The snap on ones free wheel with minimal effort allowing me to ratchet in tight spaces with one hand. It's  a big difference when you do it everyday.  :2thumbs:

Paid the money for quality and warranty, it'll take a hammer blow or two  :grinyes:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010 - 03:54:58 PM »
Along with Alans suggestion I have found too that Harbor Freight has some decent tools at really good prices. For instance, they sell a composite 1/2" and 3/8" ratchet that might look cheap but its tough as hell, I have a couple of them working for my underground in an industrial setting and neither one has failed. Allen sockets, all kinds of specialty tools can be had for a steal.

I buy Harbor Freight stuff, but generally only when a) the name brand tools are prohibitively expensive, and b) I only expect to need the tool once or maybe twice. The HF stuff I've bought has had a tendency to only last once or twice.

That having been said, I bought a set of no-name combo wrenches from China some time back in the early 80s. I figured they'd be gone ina year and they're still going strong, still my main non-ratcheting wrenches. To give you an idea of how tough they are, I put a 6 foot piece of pipe on the 3/4" to use as a breaker bar when pulling a k-frame. the wrench developed a 10-20 degree bend, but refused to snap.

So maybe, HF not so bad.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010 - 05:02:50 PM »
I agree you have to pick and choose wisely with Harbour Freight but they have some good quality stuff at a decent price. They also have junk at a decent price.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*