Author Topic: Changing front shocks on 71 Cuda  (Read 738 times)

Offline DocMel

Changing front shocks on 71 Cuda
« on: April 10, 2010 - 11:20:04 PM »
Walk me thru the steps on changing out the frOnt shocks on my 71 Cuda.  Thanks

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: Changing front shocks on 71 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010 - 12:30:07 AM »
Nothing to it really. Unbolt upper bolt going through the shock tower, jack up car, remove wheel, unbolt lower shock bolt on the lower control arm....if the shocks are old, then they will fall right out. If they have a little life in them, then you may need to pry them out. Then just do the same thing in reverse and you're done. Just note that the upper bolt may have two nuts on it (one for locking) and you may need to hold the shock to keep it from spinning (with the hex end of the shock on the topside of the shock tower).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010 - 12:32:11 AM by Killer_Mopar »
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010 - 08:30:18 AM »
You will have to compress the shocks with your hands which will give you a few seconds to pull them out. It's pretty much the same sliding them back in there too. Oh, one more thing...if you have a front sway bar, you'll need to take off the end links to get at the bottom shock bolt.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline djwhog

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010 - 12:12:40 PM »
Only issue I had was that the edlebrock gas classic shocks seemed a lttle shorter than the old shocks, but I had the tires off and the car supported under the frame, show that lets the controll arm hang.

Anyone else on this?