Author Topic: what brake fluid?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Canadian Cuda

what brake fluid?
« on: April 14, 2010 - 12:45:15 AM »
i've got all my brakelines and stuff all hooked back up and have a couple questions. 1st i didnt put in any new lines, so they are half full of fluid, the thing is i dont know what type of fluid they are. i'm guessing dot3/dot4. would it matter if they are mixed or do i have to flush the lines.2nd in which case should i got to something better? also I wounldnt mind if it didnt peel my paint.

Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline acudanut

Re: what brake fluid?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010 - 02:43:55 AM »
 Are you kidding ?...Any brake fliud.  :2cents: :screwy:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010 - 04:30:30 AM »
What I would recommend is to disassemble the rear wheel cylinders to clean them out , blow out all the lines & invert the calipers to get all the fluid out & clean out the master as well if possible & use DOT 5 Fluid , DOT 5 is NOT compatable with dot 3 or 4 , but it will not eat paint either

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010 - 02:37:35 PM »
thanks chyrco, is there any performance advantage to dot 5 other than it not eating paint?
Geoff

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010 - 04:10:29 PM »
I'm going the DOT 5 route myself.  I've got too much money in the body to risk ruining the paint.  Like was said above, the DOT 5 fluid is not compatable with other fluids.  You will need to clean out your lines and such.  I've got all new components so it's a no brainer for me.

I have heard people say that the DOT 5 fluid gave them a softer pedal though.  Some say to put the fluid out in the sun for awhile before dumping it into the brake system.  Apparently if the DOT 5 fluid is shaken, it will develop a lot of air bubbles.(more so than the other fluids)  Putting it in the sun is supposed to reliece the trapped air.

As for a performance gain...isn't the DOT 5 supposed to have a higher boiling point?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010 - 04:23:09 PM »

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010 - 04:55:39 PM »
thanks burdar

so from what i've read if i remove as much old fluid possible and run the dot 5 through it should remove any last traces of the old stuff. instead of flushing it with alcohol before which could leave other residual.
Geoff

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010 - 09:41:47 PM »
After having DOT 4 eat some of my underhood paint on my $17K paint and body job I am going to change to DOT 5. As my entire brake system is brand new there is no problem from that side. Just wondering which fluid goes to the top - silicon DOT 5 or DOT 4? What i am thinking here is that the good fluid may "push" out the bad through the bleeder nipples if the viscosity goes in my favour.
Barry (Salmon Arm)