Author Topic: Fiberglass front end... any help with how much weight i am saving would be cool  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Brewster_440

I have fiberglass fenders, fiberglass R/T hood, fiberglass bumper, fiberglass front valance - no metal body parts forward of the cowl. the inner fenderwells and braces are gone. I built a cage the fenders and hood hang on, and the hole front end tilts open. stock headlights, but fiberglass headlight buckets. no radiator support, no bumper brackets. the hood, fenders, bumper, valance have all been glassed together so that it is a one-piece tilt front end.   so.......

how much weight do you think im saving?  if you know how much a fender weighs that will help, same with a hood, or a valance or even the inner fenderwells and radiator support. how much does a steel front bumper weigh? my glass one is about 5 pounds.  if i can get some idea of these pieces i can do some of my own addition/subtraction.

and Thanks Guys!!!
1968 GTX 426 Hemi - gone
1967,65,72 Darts - gone
1970 Challenger - current project
First time behind the wheel of a car was in a 1973 Chrysler Town & Country w/440 on Daytona Beach

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
just guessing, but around 75 lb diff.  Loosing the doors and glass is even better for weight savings.  K members, tortion bars, and the steering sytem would save a bunch of weight if you did a rack n pinion and other mods.  There is a difference in race fiberglass and street fiberglass too

Offline TROUBLE987

maybe a 100-150 tops how fast are you tring to go?..you could have kept the stock frontend and went with a after market k-member and had the same weight loss..

Offline Brewster_440

Oh yea. I still have the stock front end, all OEM chrysler - with energy suspension stuff and some AVO adjustable shocks. I have a 12 point Alston roll cage, with the front supports coming through the firewall and welded to the shock suports and then off to the tip of the front frame rails.all the OEM framerails have ben boxed with 1/8" plate steel, and i have a back-half set-up with subframe connectors. I can lift the car from the driver's side, and the passenger's side comes off the ground just as much. the car is rock solid.  The hood is an R/T style and is race fiberglass, the doors are race fiberglass. i got the fenders with the car so i don't know.

I have fiberglass doors, fiberglass decklid, fibergalss rears valance and bumper also.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010 - 12:32:49 AM by Brewster_440 »
1968 GTX 426 Hemi - gone
1967,65,72 Darts - gone
First time behind the wheel of a car was in a 1973 Chrysler Town & Country w/440 on Daytona Beach

Offline TROUBLE987

Oh yea. I still have the stock front end, all OEM chrysler - with energy suspension stuff and some AVO adjustable shocks. I have a 12 point Alston roll cage, with the front supports coming through the firewall and welded to the shock suports and then off to the tip of the front frame rails.all the OEM framerails have ben boxed with 1/8" plate steel, and i have a back-half set-up with subframe connectors. I can lift the car from the driver's side, and the passenger's side comes off the ground just as much. the car is rock solid.  The hood is an R/T style and is race fiberglass, the doors are race fiberglass. i got the fenders with the car so i don't know.

I have fiberglass doors, fiberglass decklid, fibergalss rears valance and bumper also.
you got a mild steel cage?or chrome moly?

Offline Brewster_440

maybe a 100-150 tops how fast are you tring to go?..you could have kept the stock frontend and went with a after market k-member and had the same weight loss..

I got the car with the fiberglass fenders. and those aftermarket k-members arn't cheap.
1968 GTX 426 Hemi - gone
1967,65,72 Darts - gone

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
in my experience the hood & bumpers make a big difference but the fenders are only slightly lighter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TROUBLE987

I got the car with the fiberglass fenders. and those aftermarket k-members arn't cheap.
Yea they arn't..but they help in so many differant ways,if you get one you want ever want a stock one again..i have had two front ends both magnum force..one in a demon,and one in a duster..and man they are so nice..it just cleans everthing up..and oh man so easy to drop the oil pan and inspect and alot easier getting headers in and out with the torsion bars,steering box..they are price but you get what you pay for.. :thumbsup: