Author Topic: Anyone making a lowdeck 400 block?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline TROUBLE987

Anyone making a lowdeck 400 block?
« on: April 16, 2010 - 10:15:10 PM »
i see a lot of 440 and hemi blocks..but are they making a lowdeck blocks yet?

Offline TROUBLE987

Re: Anyone making a lowdeck 400 block?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010 - 01:53:44 AM »
KP Koleno is supposed to have them out soon (iron).......... I think indy has the aluminum 400  :working:

PM Big Bear on moparts  :2thumbs:
cool deal..i hope so the lowdeck motors are the best motors to build..they have the best rod to stroke ratio too..when you use a 3.75 stroke crank..cant beat them..just my :2cents:

Offline challydust

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010 - 09:25:50 AM »
I agree...when i started my project a while back..there were too many combos other than the 451.....now theres all kinds...but i do love the torque my lil 451 makes...i went all copm roller , with a cam motion grind cam,...10.5 to one  with diamond slugs...m1 single plain, 850 quick fuel tech carb...Love the way it pulls, im sure there badder set ups but for me and what i have in my car, Im happier than a pig in poop :ylsuper:

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010 - 03:13:47 PM »
I agree...when i started my project a while back..there were too many combos other than the 451.....now theres all kinds...but i do love the torque my lil 451 makes...i went all copm roller , with a cam motion grind cam,...10.5 to one  with diamond slugs...m1 single plain, 850 quick fuel tech carb...Love the way it pulls, im sure there badder set ups but for me and what i have in my car, Im happier than a pig in poop :ylsuper:
well i wasnt sold on the 451 combo untill i had one..i had a 500inch indyhead motor that hensley built for me..and motor to motor the 500inch was a hair faster..but the 451 also was a nitrous motor...the 500inch motor went 1026..and the 451 with a tighter convertor went 1049..now i had almost 2800 more in the 500 inch motor and only seen 2 tenths..so when i shot 200 on the 451...it sold me on them..here is something guys dont think about..you take a 500inch motor or any stock block big block build and spray nos on it,its going to beat itself apart..the rod to stroke ratio is not good on them..and the mains will not hold up..I KNOW..they cap walk so bad its not funny..ask any racer..not guys like us your true racers and they will tell ya the samething..the 400 230 blocks have thick web mains..they have a better rod to stroke ratio..that means you can turn them..i use to turn mine 7200 rpms and it was still pulling..and i have friends thats built these motors for 10 years and turn them 7800 one guy has had his 451 for 7 years and turned like that everytime he races..and sprays 375 on it..the other thing is if you by the big heads,and the big cams you need to turn them to use the heads and cams like they are suppose to be..every 500inch build up i have seen they do them the same way they put the smaller cam in the motor to limit the rpms..and if they put say a 750 roller in it with a set of 440-1 fully ported..then they better have a after market block..and if they don't it want last..this is what i have learned thru the years and im sold on the 451..ill take a 451 and go up against anymore dollar for dollar and kill it...just my  :2cents:

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010 - 07:35:16 PM »
To start with i know all 230 casting blocks dont have thick webbing,and far as big bore the 400 blocks have the biggest..and the reason there only making the 440 and hemi motors is because thats what came in more muscle cars,the 400 isnt a motor that you would put into you 70 cuda to sell or hold value..the 400 was a motor we found when there wasnt any blocks out there to be had...and with the combo of a 440 crank..its a nice race motor...when you use the 440 block in a race motor they seem to have too many down falls..they are great for a weekend worrior..but for all out racing i want have another one unless its a aftermarket block then i still might not..i just have had problems building them..and its not me either..i built one,barrnett performance,hensley racing,then lenny melton built my 451 and i loved it...look you run what ever you think works for you..i just seen the money i spent in the other build ups...and what i got in return,the cap walk..cracked blocks..webbing coming out the bottom with the main caps still bolted in it..then i seen what i put in the 451,stock crank,stock caps,eagle rods,wisco pistons..-1 heads fully ported 12.5-1 compression roller cam..and the car was a 8 sec car with 325 on it all day long..just my :2cents: oh and reher-morrisons a chevy man..dont bring that chevy guys quote in here... :nono: :grinno:

Offline challydust

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 - 09:47:44 AM »
EEWWWW a chevy guy...lol.....well trouble youv made me feel pretty good about my lil 451 lol....funny thing is ive been a lil leary in spinning that thing much more than 6 grand on the street,...lol....guess maybe i can stuff that 7200 mds  chip in it huh?...lol....I have over 7 grand in my motor, i dont know if thats alot or not but its alot for me..lol....actually the guy that did the machine work, i took him a 70 or 71 i forget 440 6 pack motor i stumbled onto years ago...and he said forget about them heavy rods, find me a 400 and we'll build a kick ass torqy street chivvy eater.... :smilielol:...never heard of the combo back then....but i gues im glad i did....thanks for the input guys.....

Offline challydust

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010 - 09:57:19 AM »
hey trouble since u had a 451 set up, what kind a fuel delivery did u have man?....mechanical or elec...how much fuel pressure did it have...im runnin about 5 to 6 pounds now....runnin a 850 quickfuel....vacu secondaries,  72 or 73 jet up front with 84's in the rear...just curious......and by the way im runing just a mech setup with 3/8 fuel line.....thanks man

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010 - 12:33:20 PM »
well just so i clear somethings up!!!im not saying every other motor that mopar made is not good..in all out racing where money is no object,HEMI is KING..there is no other to me...tell ya what ronnie sox told me oneday..and i quote"there is two kind of people in this world people that have hemis and people that want them"..and its so true..but anyways..when money comes into play..then there is two things that matter..we want to go as fast we can with a certain amount of money..and we want it to last...thats what matters bottom line..and thats where this motor falls in real nice..the bore is bigger,so it unshrouds the valve on big valve indyheads..its a low deck so everything is compact..cylinder walls,push rods...and that means its lighter..also the rod to stroke ratio is great on it...now whats rod to stroke ratio mean to me and you ill tell ya..Basically we want a Rod to Stroke ratio of 1.55:1 or higher to reduce side loading force on the thrust side of the piston to minimize friction. This becomes more critical above 5500rpm..to say 6000rpm..well since most street stroker motors we build is going to tap out by then anyway then its not that big of a deal..now where it becomes a huge deal is on all out race motors we put together..not 706 mountain motors..and stuff like that cause the have some of the worst ratios out there..and they are built to be worked on..you might get a 150 passes and tear it down to fresh it back up..so that dont apply here..we are talking about how it helps make the motor last,the better it is..the less side wear in the block..its for durability reasons thats it..now why do i think the 451 is the best its not just the ratio..its bigger bore,lighter rotating assembly..and its compact so it handle rpms..so if you decide to say put a 750 roller in it and set of -1 fully ported,and 13.5 on the compresson..and your on the dyno and it turns up to make its most hp at say 7200 then you will be sleeping nice knowing hey i got a short stroke big bore,thats lighter,so it will live at those rpms a long time ..the motor to me is like a small block with huge bores..that halls butt..thats just my  :2cents:

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010 - 12:45:15 PM »
hey trouble since u had a 451 set up, what kind a fuel delivery did u have man?....mechanical or elec...how much fuel pressure did it have...im runnin about 5 to 6 pounds now....runnin a 850 quickfuel....vacu secondaries,  72 or 73 jet up front with 84's in the rear...just curious......and by the way im runing just a mech setup with 3/8 fuel line.....thanks man
well i had a eletric bg 400 feeding my carb and nitrous system..but you should be fine with 5.5 to 6.0 on the pressure..well what you got in it..oh the 3/8 line will be ok..but i would step it up for you start turning it anymore..see it all depends whats in the motor really..it may not need to be turn much more..as far as the carb you street driving it a lot?if so it will be fine also..you running stock tank? what kind of car is it in?

Offline challydust

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010 - 12:50:18 PM »
73 chally small blk car...stock tank....mech pump.....451 stroker with a mid to high 5'ish lift roller (cam motion grind) cant remember the exacts on the cam, written down at home,....diamond 10.5 to 1  slugs, mopar perf crank, comp roller rocker set up at 1.5, on ported and polished 452 steelies, that flow 285.....m1 intake single plane, 850 quick fuel, 6al msd, billet mopar perf, dizzy set up by F.B.O,.....727 reverse valve body , cohen 3200 stall, built by abbruzio racing trannys, 8 3/4. 391 gears.....thats about it...have any idea what this car "should run" in the 1/4 on 10.5 rubber?...super stock springs with adj snubber too....thanks

Offline TROUBLE987

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010 - 02:59:09 PM »
Im going to say mid to low 12s..id depends to if you have drag raced alot?if not you may go out and lay down 13sec passes..but i would say if everythings working like it should mid 12 should be a breeze..and im sure there is other guys on here with a similar build that can chime in and give there guess on it..and be closer to what im telling ya..but you should have any trouble doing this..lol..http://www.streetfire.net/video/dodge-challenger-rt-70-451-stroker_110847.htm

Offline challydust

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010 - 06:28:37 PM »
not on a track i dont....street racing a lil...;)  I didnt say that did I?...lol.....but i would certainly hope i could get in the mid to low 12's with my combo....what were bone stock 440 with 390 hp runnin on ole bias plys back in the day...lol.......i thought 14's high 13's.....id be pretty disapointed if i ran 13's with over 500 hp motor with modern suspension and rubber...ya know what i mean

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010 - 06:47:24 PM »
It sounds potent, hooking will determine the et times.  Making a 3600 lb car hook and go is tricky, as with launching the car with that weight. Your mph will give you a clue as to what suspention mods you need to do.  400 hp at the wheels will give you a solid 12 for a base line, getting a heavy car into the 11's will take more. But it is still possible with the combo you have and with a good tune and suspetion tune to see the 11's,  Your 60 ft will need close to a 1.5 to very low 1.6  to get a decent et out of it.  How tall is the tire and what kind of decent rubber?

Offline challydust

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010 - 09:47:07 AM »
nittos 555 10.5   27 inch tall  391 gear...ss springs.......im not sure that the big wheels and tires help me though...?????.....ive seen in mopar mags though....guys running pretty quick times with em....and the editors being impressed so i figured it was a negative....