Author Topic: Anybody here use an industrial coating type paint on their cars?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
I was thinking about using an Acrylithane type coating, instead of a regular paint on my car. The reason is it tends to be more durable. I know it doesn't look as good, but I figure with a good amount of prep work on the primer I should be able to get a decently smooth coat on the car. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before, or any other type of industrial coating. I have seen the powder coated Year One car, but I know that has to be really expensive. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Anybody here use an industrial coating type paint on their cars?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010 - 07:19:50 PM »
Well, an interesting concept.Can you get it in the color you want, and I was wondering about the UV protection. I personally dont think I would try it, cause if it doesn't work out well then It would be a bear to remove. :2cents:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010 - 07:27:25 PM »
The brand I was looking at is called Jones Blair. I used it at a company I used to work for on all of our Oilfield equipment. I haven't contacted the company about specific colors, but I know they matched our paint for our equipment. It did fade some on our equipment, but we washed it at least twice a week with a very high pressure washer with a strong detergent to get the oil and grease and chemicals off our equipment. I would imagine that if used on a car and with a good wax it would retain it's shine for a long time. It is a two part system that has to be mixed. Here is a sheet for the one that I am thinking about using.

http://www.jones-blair.com/NEWJBITD/AcrylithaneHSTD.pdf
Kevin

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010 - 12:15:27 AM »
I've done few cars in DuPont Imron,automotive  single stage urethane paint is very durable and I'd rather use that over some industrial coating that you know won't look all that great, why even do it? is it free? do you want a crappy finish? 
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010 - 12:45:44 AM »
I've done few cars in DuPont Imron,automotive  single stage urethane paint is very durable and I'd rather use that over some industrial coating that you know won't look all that great, why even do it? is it free? do you want a crappy finish?

Imron is very durable when it comes to lasting a long time. Yet is easy to chip. My car was painted black Imron back in the early 90's. It didn't take long for small chips to form prbably from small stones kicked up while driving from cars. The paint on my roof still shines quite well even  now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 - 05:22:34 PM »
I'm not looking for a show finish, just a good tough finish. I plan on running the car at the strip alot, and I wanted a cheaper paint that would hold up well. It might not even be cheaper though, I have never had to buy it, the shop always paid for it. But they make a clear coat as well. We used it without a clear coat and even without any type of sanding it still looked fairly smooth on our equipment.
Kevin

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010 - 11:24:05 PM »
I have a little story....Buddy of mine made a deal to paint a friends car, turned out to be a lot more work & expense due to hidden rust so when it came time to paint he looked for the lowest cost paint he could find....International Harvester Red implement paint matched up well & looked great. I saw the car from time to time for several years & it held up well.  $32 a gallon at Tractor Supply.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010 - 07:34:07 AM »
It`s an acrylic urethane which is also used in automotive paints so I don`t think there is any benefit unless it`s less expensive.
PPG`s-Concept 2K Urethane (DCC)
Concept Acrylic Urethane is a direct gloss, 2-component refinish system that delivers exceptional gloss and color match for today's sophisticated finishes. It is available in conventional single-stage solid and metallic colors and can be applied over all properly prepared OEM finishes, and cured, air-dried finishes. Concept CLV is a 3.5 VOC direct gloss system that meets high quality demands in VOC-regulated environments. It meets or exceeds OEM warranty requirements and is part of the PPG Lifetime Guarantee program.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010 - 11:41:32 AM »
Oh, I didn't know that regular car paint was acrylic urethane as well. I guess if it's the same thing I will just use the PPG; that was gonna be my first choice anyway. Thanks for the help yall
Kevin

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010 - 08:21:45 AM »
Imron is very durable when it comes to lasting a long time. Yet is easy to chip. My car was painted black Imron back in the early 90's. It didn't take long for small chips to form prbably from small stones kicked up while driving from cars. The paint on my roof still shines quite well even  now.

Imron is one of the toughest coatings avaliable to general public.Small stones will chip glass, do you expect paint to be harder than glass? :dunno:  Any paint over time will get blasted by small rocks , take a look at real racecars,most race teams use the best finishes on the market and get sponsored by paint makers.The areas that will be exposed to road debris should be protected by clear film or chip guard
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010 - 05:38:44 PM »
I got a gallon of Black single stage industrial enamel for 20 bucks. Don't tell anyone... It's the hood'fender black out on my car right now. It's just temporary.Holds up pretty good considering.And buffs up good too. IMO nothing beats a good sealer/color/clear job for durability.  The important thing in regards to chipping is proper adhesion on the first prime. 100 grit really holds on to the primer/sealer.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010 - 03:32:32 PM »
 :nono:

I'll NEVER understand it. I painted my first car when I was 14 in my father's shop. I'm 47 years old at the present time. People wanting to put cheap paint products on their fine cars. Why skimp? Sure good paint is expensive. So wait a little longer, save your money, and buy the good stuff. I have shot every type and brand of paint under the sun in my younger days for customers who wanted to save a buck. That's no longer the case. I shoot nothing but Deltron and House of Kolor. It's not cheap but it will last as long as you maintain and take care of it. If you own a Challenger or Cuda paint it right. It's well worth the investment.

Todd

Oxford Motor Sports

New York Customs