Author Topic: Please identify these Barracuda rear valances  (Read 1349 times)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Please identify these Barracuda rear valances
« on: April 18, 2010 - 09:27:29 AM »
Can anyone tell me why the pictured Barracuda rear valances are different. I suspect that the top one is a '70 only but not 100% sure. If it is, does AMD reproduce that style?

John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: Please identify these Barracuda rear valances
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010 - 10:21:59 AM »
I am no expert but I belive that you are right.  The last picture that shows the marks on the back and those would be brackets used on the 70 model.
Looks like the other spot has just been worked a little bit, maybe dented? ? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010 - 11:14:57 AM »
On the upper one, you can see the shadows on the rust where the braces once were.

It was modified by someone before.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Slotts

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010 - 11:23:07 AM »
Hey JayBee,  :wave:

Not to hijack your thread, but if you make a reply here, you will then become a Sr. Member here! :2thumbs:

Congratulations!  :clapping:

Slotts

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010 - 02:29:12 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses but I think this mystery still continues.

Looks like the other spot has just been worked a little bit, maybe dented? ? 
I have 2 other valances in the basement that look identical to the bottom one in the the top picture, odds are all 3 couldn't have been worked/dented the same way. Also both ends are the same, that can be seen in the bottom backside pics.  :dunno:
On the upper one, you can see the shadows on the rust where the braces once were.
I know it may seem like that in the pictures but I took a real close look of the back and there's no evidence of braces ever being there.  :clueless:

Slotts - thanks for the recognition, now I can start reaping all the benefits that seniors get  :lol:

John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010 - 02:34:00 PM »
the top one is 70. Mine has cut outs, but the shape is the same.  No clue why the other is different though... never knew other years had a different shape. Maybe aftermarket?
*** Bart ***

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010 - 08:28:08 AM »
Thanks Dutch, that's what I thought because the top one is so full of bondo that it must have been the original one on the car eons ago. None of my other 3 (shaped like the bottom pic) are aftermarket, they're used ones that came off of cars. When I went to AMD's and Roseville's websites all I saw was the bottom shaped type being reproduced too. A long time ago I think I read or heard that after 1970 they were re-shaped, something to do with the leaf springs. Man, I gotta start writing things down.

Anyway, looks like we can add another part to that "unique for '70 only" list.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010 - 11:56:31 AM »
I stopped writing stuff down a few years ago... kept forgetting what I wrote where...  :screwy:
*** Bart ***

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010 - 02:48:35 PM »
A long time ago I think I read or heard that after 1970 they were re-shaped, something to do with the leaf springs. Man, I gotta start writing things down.

Anyway, looks like we can add another part to that "unique for '70 only" list.

That is correct
The bottom was reshaped because the rear spring shackles were more likely to hit and bend up the valance on the '70s. I think the change was made in the mid '70 model year.
 Kind of like the hood changes that were made in '70.
You may  find a date stamp on the '70 one. In the middle at the top on the flange.  I have seen several that have 1969 dates on them.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010 - 05:34:47 PM »
That is correct
Thanks for the added confirmation and info. There is something stamped where you said but the back side is too rusty and the front side has too much paint on it to make out the numbers clearly. I might get it sand blasted to see if it's salvagable and if the date can be read.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon