Author Topic: Popped hood.  (Read 3981 times)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
Popped hood.
« on: April 19, 2010 - 03:14:22 PM »
I have been working for the last few days to get my hood aligned. I see to have it but once I open and shut the hood again it remains popped in the rear. I have to physically go over and push down both sides ( in the rear ) What might be causing this? Bad springs? Still needs more adjustment?

Any help would be great!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Popped hood.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010 - 03:18:29 PM »
I don't know the answer, but I have to push down one side on mine sometimes as it might be up an 1/8 inch or so. Could be the springs. I am sure someone here has a good answer. So I too am curious to the right answer. I've heard other folks talk of the same thing, so it must be something that "pops up" often. No pun intended! :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010 - 04:13:53 PM »
Its your hood hinge.The bushing is worn and has play in it.I have the same issue.I knew the hinge had some play in it but I took a chance if it would work right.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010 - 04:30:52 PM »
Your hinges need to be rebuilt.  I believe Resto Rick has a rebuild servise for the hinges.  He installs the springs too, so you don't have to worry about those.

Some have had luck by cleaning the hinges really well and lubing them up.  Sometimes dirt can get stuck in the hinge and cause it to bind up a bit.  This would only be a temporary fix since the bushings are most likely worn too.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 - 04:32:19 PM »
you may have to lower the front bolt on the hinges.  Good chance the rivets of the hinges are worn though.
I had the same problem and rebuilt them. works fine now.
*** Bart ***

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010 - 06:49:52 PM »
you may have to lower the front bolt on the hinges.  Good chance the rivets of the hinges are worn though.
I had the same problem and rebuilt them. works fine now.

:iagree:    Adjusting the hinges usually will fix the problem

wagesofsin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010 - 06:59:14 PM »
try raising the rear , maybe the front as well of the hinges, they may seem worn out, but are most likely ( as was mentioned ) out of adjustment.
whats happening is the spring isnt compressing fully to hold down the rear of the hood.thats why when you push it down it stays.
you cant lose by trying, it was my issue as well.
works fine now.

good luck.   :2thumbs:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010 - 07:17:22 PM »
I got lucky in that I only had to oil my hinges.    :naughty:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline A110235

• '71 Challenger JH23G1B
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010 - 11:34:05 PM »
My car had mismatched hood hinges and it would stay popped up in one corner.  One of them was probably original because it was the same color as the car, the other one was clearly not right and looked totally different.  I bought new hood hinges and installed them both this weekend.  I almost had it looking good, but the back of the hood stayed popped up about 1/4" on both sides.  After I messed with it for an hour I made it look worse.  :pullinghair:  Is there any step by step logical way to adjust a hood???  :banghead:

Sorry to thread hijack...

Nashville, TN         Member since October 09, 2004

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010 - 11:08:30 AM »
 Don't hold me to this as I don't guarantee it, but it did work for me.  No this isn't my idea, I got it from a moparts post a couple of years ago. You start by adjusting the back of the hinge at the firewall all the way down, and I believe the front is all the way up, but make sure the back is all the way down first.  Remember when closing the hood do so slowly and watch not only the gaps but underneath at the back so the hood doesn't scrape the firewall. Then just adjust accordingly.   Pete

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010 - 11:37:58 AM »
all you need to do is loosen the hinge bolts & push up on the front of the hood lifting the front of the hinge , have someone else help you & tighten the hinge bolts with the front of the hinge raised & it will pull the rear of the hood down

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010 - 09:43:44 AM »
Time to get to work. That is great info I will start trouble shooting those responses with the car and let you guys know. I think many of you are right that the hinge might just be warn. But I will try these other solutions first.  :cheers:

Offline nick68

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010 - 10:35:58 AM »
What chryco said does work. It is how i did it and was amazed.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010 - 11:56:22 PM »
Well today I greased the hinges and it almost fixed the issue. I think they are a little warn and the springs need to be replaced, but for the most part it was 75% better to just lube them. I sprayed them both and the hood seemed to drop slightly(Almost relaxed more then dropped). Then when I closed it is was very smooth. Where it use to hang up a little. It is still popped, but it is a great deal easier to close and seems to relax down a little better. I think a new set is in order but for the mean time that really helped.  :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010 - 01:04:18 AM »
Trust me on this , your hinges are not worn , before adjusting they all do this , just loosen the hinges & raise the front of the hood up so the front of the hinge is raised & re-tighten the bolts , the hood will then drop down correctly .
this does require 2 people !!
If you really want to spend your hard earned $ buy some new or rebuilt hinges & bolt them on then you will still have to make the same adjustment to get the back of the hood down
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010 - 01:08:33 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t