Author Topic: Broken rear wheel bearing  (Read 777 times)

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
Broken rear wheel bearing
« on: April 21, 2010 - 05:39:28 PM »
I have a broken rear wheel bearing on the passenger side of my '72.

Is this something I can fix with some standard tools at my house or will I need to take it into a shop?

I can buy all the parts necessary at my local auto parts shop but they had no idea how difficult it would be to swap out.

Any input?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010 - 06:41:04 PM by cudadude013 »

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
Re: Broken rear wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010 - 07:05:51 PM »
I did some more looking around and was able to answer my own question. It looks like I would need a press to install the bearing. I really prefer to do my own work but sometimes I just don't have the necessary tools.

Thanks

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 - 07:44:58 PM »
I'd recommend at least just pulling the axles and taking them into somone to pop the new bearings on. I'm the same way when it comes to my vehicles.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010 - 08:56:08 PM »
The bearing itself slides on and off easy enough. The lock retainer is the piece that is pressed.  I cut my retainer off with a die grinder almost all the way through, then, I use a chisel and crack it in half.  I have a press now, but back in the mid 80's I didnt. I used a thick 2.5 inch pipe that was cut off square and just slipped it over the axle and hammered the retainer on by sliding the pipe up and down. I never had a problem. I dont recomend cutting the retainer off with a torch. Some do it, but you could cut the axle easy or get it to hot and it could get brittle on you.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010 - 10:25:20 PM »
 :iagree:
The bearing itself slides on and off easy enough. The lock retainer is the piece that is pressed.  I cut my retainer off with a die grinder almost all the way through, then, I use a chisel and crack it in half.  I have a press now, but back in the mid 80's I didnt. I used a thick 2.5 inch pipe that was cut off square and just slipped it over the axle and hammered the retainer on by sliding the pipe up and down. I never had a problem. I dont recomend cutting the retainer off with a torch. Some do it, but you could cut the axle easy or get it to hot and it could get brittle on you.
Also before using the pipe like a slide hammer fit the old lock ring and hammer on that to protect the bearing and the new lock ring.   :working:
Dave