Author Topic: What kind of steel for rotisserie?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
What kind of steel for rotisserie?
« on: April 23, 2010 - 06:24:29 PM »
Hi Folks!
I getting ready to email a couple metal retailers to get quotes for a rotisserie I'm going to build.  I have a bill of materials, but I don't know what kind of metal to ask for.  I've seen carbon, 4130, rolled, A500, etc...

When I send my materials list to them, what kind of steel would I ask for?

I got the plans for the rotisserie from:  http://www.shoalwaterbay.com/coronet/pdf/rotisserie_plans.pdf

Thanks!
Sean

Offline CudaNut

• She's so fine ain't no tellin where the money went
    • CUDANUT.COM
Re: What kind of steel for rotisserie?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010 - 08:34:05 PM »
Chances are your only real choice will be A36 which is the most common hot rolled steel. Its inexpensive relative to the other steels and will be plenty strong for this application. If you have a local pick yard you may be able to find most of the steel you need for less than 1/2 the cost of retail. Our local yard here is 36 cents a lb for all steel over 100lbs. There are charts on the net that will give you the weights of different steels based on length/diameter/thickness to give you a ballpark as to how much you will spend. I am not too fond of the design, mainly the center rotator tube appears too small for my liking, I used a 3.5" sch 40 tube on mine. The center is where the load is distributed and I want overkill there...
"If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber."
  Albert Einstein

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010 - 08:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!  Whe you said you used 3.5" sch 40 for the tube, what does the 'sch 40' refer to?  The wall thickness of the tube?

I did a quick google search and found a few places in the local area (St. Louis) that sells scrap metal.  When I get home, I'll be sure to check them out versus buying new metal.   

Thanks again!!!   :2thumbs:
Sean

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010 - 09:01:01 PM »
Time spent to build one will vary. But at least 2-3 days to build it.

If I were to build one, I would look into putting bearings inside the main cylinders to distribute the weight load better thus help it's spinability.

I also have seen engine stands that have a crank handle for spinning.
That would be pretty slick too.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010 - 09:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!  Whe you said you used 3.5" sch 40 for the tube, what does the 'sch 40' refer to?  The wall thickness of the tube?

I did a quick google search and found a few places in the local area (St. Louis) that sells scrap metal.  When I get home, I'll be sure to check them out versus buying new metal.   

Thanks again!!!   :2thumbs:

Sean

Mine is about a 1/4" thick.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline CudaNut

• She's so fine ain't no tellin where the money went
    • CUDANUT.COM
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010 - 09:39:04 PM »
See this site for info on Sch 40 tubing and other neat stuff on steel. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ansi-steel-pipes-d_305.html
Checking the chart you will find sizes that will fit neatly inside one another, put a grease fitting in the tubing and it will spin really nice... The yard I am talking about around here sells "drops" from a local steel plant, many are 6-8 ft long cut from 20ft length stock. New stuff at scrap prices...
"If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber."
  Albert Einstein