going road racing need wheel fitment questions answered!!!

Author Topic: going road racing need wheel fitment questions answered!!!  (Read 1806 times)

Offline kowalski

• Challenger=SCCA Trans Am Homologation Special
going road racing need wheel fitment questions answered!!!
« on: October 07, 2004 - 10:58:04 PM »
I have 17x9.5 TTII wheels going on all corners of my 73 chally. the tires I plan to use are 275/40/17 all around.  possibly 265/40/17 in the front. I am NOT using a spring relo kit!  will this work?!?!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004 - 11:30:18 PM by kowalski »
1970 318 bored .060 over edelbrock performer intake ported and polished 360 J heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust double springs carter hi cap fuel pump edelbrock victor series water pump MSD 6AL flotech headers

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: going road racing need wheel fitment questions answered!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004 - 11:37:38 PM »
What is the wheel offset and total tire height?

Offline kowalski

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004 - 11:46:28 PM »
unfortunately i don't know either of those.  With all things perfect do u think it will work? total tire height is somewhere around 26" if that sounds right.
1970 318 bored .060 over edelbrock performer intake ported and polished 360 J heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust double springs carter hi cap fuel pump edelbrock victor series water pump MSD 6AL flotech headers

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004 - 12:53:51 AM »
Well....
I have not road raced (officially) but I do want to set up a car like this someday :P

It seems to me that the rear should be set up something like this

1 Very flat and thick springs unlike Super Stock set. More like what a late '70s Trans Am would have
2 You probably want to have them as far apart as possible so the stock location is fine
3 beef up the spring hangers and shackles as well as the mounting points
4 I think you have to play around with the shocks to get them right so ajustable would be a must
5 Big effen swaybar and links

As for tire size and wheel offset you might be pushing it a little close. The rear springs are in the
car diagonally at a 1.67 degrees so you have more room at the front of the wheelwell then the
back. I don't think much more then 4 inch total offset would work so the outside of the tire
gets real close to the wheelwell lip, you might need to trim alittle on that lip

This guy seems to have alot of these problems worked out on his A-body so take alook at his site

http://hometown.aol.com/pwall5/cars/2cudapag.html

He seems to have his act together  8)

Offline kowalski

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004 - 01:15:58 AM »
thank you for the input!  So if I bend that lip flush with the fender do you think I can get them to fit?  They won't hit the leaf springs

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004 - 08:30:45 AM »
I don't think you want to go flush but alittle bend might go along way

Offline kowalski

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004 - 11:11:31 AM »
How do I go about bending the lip in without scratching the paint or denting the body panels?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004 - 12:20:28 PM »
I would box the lower control arms & reinforce the steering box mount as well , have the front suspension adjusted wiith as much negative castor as possible also

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t