Author Topic: Bad T/A Hood, choices to make  (Read 2573 times)

Offline cudazappa

Bad T/A Hood, choices to make
« on: April 24, 2010 - 10:50:24 PM »
OK, tried to install my hood today... however ran into a problem...

The cheesy 'glass hood has studs for mounting the hood to the hinges.    The studs are mounted too high in order to slide into the slots in the hinge.  I could grind out the slots to make it work... but I HATE doing that...  so I have a few choices...

This is a no-name second (third?, fourth?) hand hood that I'm using to get the look I want.  But now I regret my choice, and from now on, I think I'm only buying new body panels...

Year one has them, but so does this guy on ebay.... Ebay item 260312323857
I figure I can make an offer on the ebay one to get it as cheaply (with shipping) as the year one (ebody code + total amount)...

Do I grind the slots?
Do I make it a lift off hood?
Go with year one?
Go with ebay?

What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance

ps. and yeah, I need a hood before I can take the car to the AutoXs...
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
Re: Bad T/A Hood, choices to make
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010 - 12:46:03 PM »
Well as the saying goes  :useless: that being said, I would go for the fix first, nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010 - 12:41:57 AM »
I bought my TA Hood from the ebay guy in El Paso.  I think I paid $700 including shipping.  It's a very good hood I have had for a year or so, but just now getting around to installing and finishing it.  It looks to be well made with a good finish. 

Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010 - 06:46:36 AM »
 :iagree:
I bought the same hood too. Before I sent it out for paint I fitted it to the hindges. I had to grind some of the hood away so the hindges would sit up high enough. One side doesn't match the fender real well, but the originals didn't either.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010 - 09:56:24 PM »
I bought an AAR hood from Year One about 7 or 8 years ago and it is still sitting in my garage. The quality just was not very good. I don't know what their stuff is like now but I would try to find a hood from some one else  :2cents:
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010 - 03:14:21 PM »
:iagree:
I bought the same hood too. Before I sent it out for paint I fitted it to the hindges. I had to grind some of the hood away so the hindges would sit up high enough. One side doesn't match the fender real well, but the originals didn't either.

how fast did that ebay guy ship?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010 - 06:25:21 PM »
how fast did that ebay guy ship?

I was pretty happy with the shipping. He used forward air I think it was? Can't remember exactly? I drove down to Buffalo and picked it up, with no issues! Came strapped to a skid with lots of bubble wrap.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010 - 07:07:11 PM »
I canceled my Year One order... They told me over the phone ~ 2 weeks 2 weeks ago, and I called today to find out it wasn't going to ship until the 25th... OF JUNE!!!!  :scared:

I called Auto Body Specialties because they are just around the corner from me and they can get me a great deal on a new R/T hood and I'll have it next week.  I just wish that ebay dude answered my email when I sent him one, I don't want to get caught waiting when I should be driving!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010 - 02:15:54 PM »
What if you were to eliminate the hinges and just make it a pin on?  :2cents: just thinking weight reduction since it's a track car.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010 - 03:07:21 PM »
What if you were to eliminate the hinges and just make it a pin on?  :2cents: just thinking weight reduction since it's a track car.

actually that became this weekends project... going to grab some oaktag at staples and make some patterns for some sheetmetal brackets.  I had the epiphany at 6am this morning pulling on my pants getting ready for work.

I had convinced myself that I would have to drill into the virgin sheetmetal on my car, and the fact that a pin on hood is a PITA to deal with...

Well, it's changed now to what is the most wallet friendly, and I want to drive the car next Sunday... Hard...

I'd still rather have a hinged hood... maybe in a couple years...