Author Topic: 06 Charger Cooling Fan - Help?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Marty73

• '73 Challenger
06 Charger Cooling Fan - Help?
« on: April 25, 2010 - 10:14:50 AM »
Off topic but....

was at the beach this weekend and my radiator fan on my 06 Charger stopped coming on (overheated at stop and go and idle, no temp problem while at speed. Can't here the fan kicking so - so I assume it's the sensor)

Looking on the internet, seems I have a cooling sensor versus a normal relay sensor system (guess the computer turns on the fan?). Soooo..anyone know where the sensor is located at before I start tearing into it?

It's an R/T with the 5.7 hemi

Any help is appriciated  - Thank Guys!
Comin' at ya like a herd of turtles

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: 06 Charger Cooling Fan - Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010 - 03:21:25 PM »
It may also be a fuse or relay. I'd do some checking before changing parts.   :2cents:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010 - 03:45:43 PM »
it is not the sensor your fan blades have cracked at the seam and have been draging lightly on the shroud which burned your fan motors up. time for a trip to the dealer for two fan motors and yes they are different so pay attention when you take them off. one is thicker than the other. also i would get two new fan blades to match as i bet they are cracked my 06 sxt did the same thing 8 hours from home!!! open your wallet wide stealership gets bout 350 for the parts or you can buy a new shroud motors and fans on ebay that are aftermarket for about half price. i would shop ebay cause after i bought mine i found some deals on there for real mopar parts. all it tkaes to pull the shroud is 2 10mm bolts at the top the bottom sets into 2 brackets. and you will need a 8mm to pull the fan motors out of the shroud. i think it is a 13 to pull the fan blade off of the motor not can't remember exactly on that one. this is a very commom failureof the lx cars especially 06 ones! sorry it's so long brandon
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline Marty73

• '73 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 - 05:46:40 PM »
Think your right - I changed the relay, sensor and fuses (because sometimes fuses look good even when their bad) - nothing worked- fans still not turning

crap...that's just what I needed - another 500$ bill...sigh....
Comin' at ya like a herd of turtles

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010 - 10:14:43 PM »
here is a aftermarket drop in replacement all you need to reuse is your wiring harness it is easy to remove. i would have gone this route if i would have found it before i gave the dealer my 350 bucks!! it even has the same warranty as mopar parts! one year thats it for mopar or this piece. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-08-CHARGER-DUAL-COOLING-FAN-ASSEMBLY-OE-STYLE-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5191f1cab0QQitemZ350340893360QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)