Author Topic: Questions on Torsion Bar Adjustment  (Read 1862 times)

Offline 7Dcuda

Questions on Torsion Bar Adjustment
« on: April 26, 2010 - 08:01:09 AM »
I need to adjust my torsion bars to level out my rear end.  Right rear is approx. 1/4"-1/2" higher than the left rear.  Is all you have to do is put the front end on jackstands to get the wheels off the ground and then turn the adjustment bolts?  Also, how many turns of the adjustment bolt will I need to make to result in a 1/4" difference at the rear?  Also, to my knowledge loosening the adj. bolts lowers, tightening raises, correct?  Info. on the above questions would be appreciated.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Questions on Torsion Bar Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010 - 08:43:45 AM »
Just use a floor jack on the k member and lift the car up some. You dont have to lift the wheels off the ground. Just lift it enough to take pressure off the lower control arms. And remember you have to bounce the front end up and down to relax it after each adjustment in for up and out for down. Then measure all 4 corners. You need the correct tire pressure in your tires , and a flat level surface. Remember that your only squaring the body to the conditions you have right now.  Say if you have tread wear on on tire making that tire a bit smaller in diameter then the others, then it affects the whole setting of your car if you think about it. To see what I mean, set your car the way you want. Then measure all 4 corners in the center in your wheel lips. Then let just 10lbs of air out of one tire and measure again. It will all change on you.  So remember you are only doing a visual adjustment on your car is all. There is actually a procedure to do it right for the settings, and if the car isnt setting level, then you start looking for worn parts like leaf spring sag, bushings, tire wear, frame twists and such. But for the most part you will be happy with what your doing

Offline 7Dcuda

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010 - 10:47:38 AM »
Just use a floor jack on the k member and lift the car up some. You dont have to lift the wheels off the ground. Just lift it enough to take pressure off the lower control arms. And remember you have to bounce the front end up and down to relax it after each adjustment in for up and out for down. Then measure all 4 corners. You need the correct tire pressure in your tires , and a flat level surface. Remember that your only squaring the body to the conditions you have right now.  Say if you have tread wear on on tire making that tire a bit smaller in diameter then the others, then it affects the whole setting of your car if you think about it. To see what I mean, set your car the way you want. Then measure all 4 corners in the center in your wheel lips. Then let just 10lbs of air out of one tire and measure again. It will all change on you.  So remember you are only doing a visual adjustment on your car is all. There is actually a procedure to do it right for the settings, and if the car isnt setting level, then you start looking for worn parts like leaf spring sag, bushings, tire wear, frame twists and such. But for the most part you will be happy with what your doing
Ok, Thanks.  Dont know that I wanna be under there with it just on a jack though.  Any idea on how many turns of the adj. bolt will result in a 1/4" change?

Offline ericindc

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010 - 12:04:46 PM »
Another quick recommendation is that you take the car for a quick spin and check the height afterward. I just installed new Tbars and even after jouncing (the manual's word not mine) the car, the ride height changed by about 1/2 inch after driving it.

1974 Challenger, 440, auto, 17s
1983 Jeep CJ7, Chevy 350, auto, 32" tires, 2.5" lift

Offline 7Dcuda

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010 - 01:45:37 PM »
Can anyone answer how "sensitive" the adj. bolts are?  i.e. How many turns will it take to adjust heigth 1/4" ? 

Offline ericindc

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010 - 02:14:39 PM »
Thats a hard question to answer.  I think it took about 3-4 full turns for my 1" diameter torsion bars to go up 1/4", but it settled a bit.  I would just measure the top of the wheelwell before and after a few turns. Then keep playing with it until it settles out.
1974 Challenger, 440, auto, 17s
1983 Jeep CJ7, Chevy 350, auto, 32" tires, 2.5" lift

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010 - 10:50:26 PM »
it would depend on the thickness of the bar , it could be as little as 1 turn or 3-4

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline duodec

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010 - 04:28:56 PM »
It could also depend on the coarseness of the threads on the adjusting bolt and anchor; my car has fine threaded pieces but I've seen coarse thread units as well on other E and B bodies; don't know if they're factory or aftermarket though.