Author Topic: Steering box.  (Read 3162 times)

Offline punisher72

• 70Challenger 440 4 speed yeeehaaaaa!!!!!!!
Steering box.
« on: April 27, 2010 - 08:36:44 AM »
How can i check my power steering box to see if its worn :dunno:????? Im still not happy with the way my car steers!!! I still may go the firm feel 3 box if i cant sort it all out?????? No good dropping in the 440 if i cant steer straight  :clueless:

Offline ericindc

Re: Steering box.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010 - 09:57:42 AM »
Yeah, I am in the same position. I changed out the front suspension components, but no help. I am going to adjust the alignment based on recommendation by Chryco in an old post, but with the steering so loose, i  really dont know what else to do. Hell, my CJ7 feels like it has more of a sporty steering.  Then I get in my GF's new GTI and its like wow.... so this is what good steering is like! Wish Unisteer's rack got better reviews, I would just get that.

I did hear that Hotchkis is going to come out with a new steering backage for e-bodies based on what they have on their E-max challenger.  I dont know when though.  Everyone who reviewed that thing said the steering is phenomenal.
1974 Challenger, 440, auto, 17s
1983 Jeep CJ7, Chevy 350, auto, 32" tires, 2.5" lift

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010 - 12:32:46 PM »
with the wheels straight is there play in the steering wheel ? if so the nut on the top of the steering box can be tightened just do not tighten it too much or the steering will get stiff over center . Check for play in the coupler as well . Wheel alignment can make a big difference in the feel as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010 - 12:37:46 PM »
with the wheels straight is there play in the steering wheel ? if so the nut on the top of the steering box can be tightened just do not tighten it too much or the steering will get stiff over center . Check for play in the coupler as well . Wheel alignment can make a big difference in the feel as well

:iagree:

It could also be in the pitman and idler arms if those pieces weren't replaced in the suspension overhaul.

Offline punisher72

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010 - 05:39:36 PM »
The shaft leading into the box from steering wheel end,moves in and out about 3mm!!!!! Is that what the nut and screw on top adjusts?? Im told its adjusted as far as it can go???? Is there a way i can fix this without buying a new box from firm feel? Any help really appreciated  :2thumbs:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010 - 05:46:58 PM »
no if the shaft is moving up & down in the box it needs to be rebuilt or replaced

Offline punisher72

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010 - 06:40:57 AM »
Ive seen somewhere that you can buy new gearing for a manual steer box. Are these the same as the power ones? Im wondering if i bite the bullet and just go the new manual steer box? Anybody have an opinion on this?? I sure would like to buy a firm feel box but i think the $$ will add up especially if they want $180 just for a core!!!!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010 - 07:45:39 AM »
I himhawed on what to do too, last fall....My steering box was leaking and I knew it needed to be addressed. Plus the steering was SOOOOOOOO loose.   :22yikes:

I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $$ on a FF stage 3.    LOVE it so far. At first I thought I might have a little looseness still but seems fine now.....it took a little getting used to since the stage 3 is night and day different from the stock setup.

You wont pay a core charge if you send them the one you have....they rebuilt my actual unit.

Lucky for me I get a reduced shipping rate at work , cause shipping that heavy lump of metal across the country aint cheap!  :money:

But it was worth it.   Steers great...like a sports car.....and no more leaks....and hopefully years of service ahead for it.

Offline punisher72

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010 - 08:52:49 AM »
Thanks Shadango. I live in Aussie so I can't ship my box ova there! I want the firm feel 3 as well,it's just the cost of it all???? But it will be way cheaper than rebuilding in Oz. Be good if someone ova the USA could help a bro out  :2thumbs:

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010 - 09:08:52 AM »
I looked into the cost of a rebuilt unit here (local auto store type) and the cost was high.....another $150 or so and I was able to get the FF unit (shipping not considered in that though).

Yeah, it'll cost ya.  But you wont be sorry.  So far, like I said, very happy with mine.  Between that FF3 and the rebuilt front end with 1" bars, the car handles like its on rails, at least compared to what it WAS handling like. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010 - 11:01:41 AM »
I axctuially like the feel of manual steering but the steering speed is even slower than power , the only oither time it sucks is when you are parking

Offline ericindc

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010 - 11:27:34 AM »

Some info on hotchkis' supposed new steering system. I would like to hold out for this, but man, i hate the way my steering is now.

Just as an FYI, the hotchkis article is here:http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/12/hotchkis-track-day-proves-after-much-better-than-before/

The quote about the steering:

"All that you'd be missing are the low-pro wheels, massive four-wheel disk brakes, MSD ignition and, of course, the E-Max's magical steering. So you know, it consists of a Flaming River quick ratio box and a sprint car steering quickener all tied into a custom column. The good news? Hotchkis is coming out with a Challenger steering package in a few months."

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:47:54 PM »
Too bad Hotchkis came up with it. I'm sure it will work great, but it'll also probably cost an arm and a leg. Hard to drive a 4 speed like that...

Offline ericindc

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:09:31 PM »
Wierd tho, everything i read on steering quickeners says they are way too dangerous for the street.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:42:27 PM »
I axctuially like the feel of manual steering but the steering speed is even slower than power , the only oither time it sucks is when you are parking

That's why I bought a 20:1 ratio steering gear for when I go manual. Although it will make parking even worse...