Author Topic: Thinking about selling my project..........  (Read 2718 times)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Thinking about selling my project..........
« on: April 28, 2010 - 11:24:24 AM »
So I haven't worked on my project for nearly 2 years now.   I really don't see that I will be getting much time in the future either.  Basically my family has grown, responsibilities around the house have grown then throw in a dose of work.  I am frustrated that I got so far, but really PO that I got my dream motor and now I am facing this decision.   To add further, to sell the project I think that it would be in my best interest to part the car back out.  After all, selling an incomplete 71 Barracuda that was being built as a resto mod will be hard to sell as a complete project.  Especially when the motor cost me $50,000!  The work I have done on the car I tried to do the best of my abilities, but there are parts that I intended to revisit.  They are areas I am just unhappy with.  Bottom line, the car was being built as a driver and not a show car.

I am just putting this out there to see what kind of thoughts people might have and maybe help me out in this decision.   :dunno:
My main motivation here is to offload some of my responsibilities.   This project sitting there is nagging the crap out of me, but my family comes first.
Secondary is that fact that the money recouped would be nice.  :screwy:  However, I will more than likely be loosing some $$$$$$$$$$

ARRRGGGG!!!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Thinking about selling my project..........
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 - 12:05:54 PM »
Mine sat for 20++++years while my family grew up...Gave me something to Dream on.  :2cents:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 - 12:17:55 PM »
Agreed...It ain't eatin' nothin' just sitting there and once all this Economy BS is over, You can bet 'yo sweet ass it will cost you five times as much cause EVERYBODY's sellin' now...I've spent five long years restoring a car while My family life went right along...Where there's a will, there's a way..You just are experiencing what i call the "Project guilties"...You feel guilty cause you want to keep something that is considered an "extra" while your family has needs as well as your own life..Bottom line, it will always be that way, you just have to figure a way around it...I hate be the bearer of bad news, but your gonna lose money if you sell and your gonna spend three times as much to replace the project...PLUS, nobody's got that kinda coin right now and all your gonna get is lawballers and Wal-Marters that want to "Window shop"......
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 - 12:41:02 PM »
All of mine have set for years before they go done. Please don't give up on your dream to soon. Unless you need the cash just set on it till things get better. I know there are always other cars but it will get harder to jump back in if you decide to later.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:25:38 PM »
I watched your engine being built. It is one of the most incredible Hemi's I ever crossed upon. Yeah it was alot but it's done just waiting. I just know it'll eat you inside not ever getting the chance to hear it run in the frames. Isn't your peace of mind seeing it thru worth something? Of course it is! This will likely be your one and only chance to have a 71.

I say don't sell it. You're hitting a curve in the road right now and things will smooth out for you later.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:52:02 PM »
 :iagree:  I agree.  Hold onto it for a while longer.

If of course you have decided that there is no way yo uwill ever pick up on it, I will offer to buy the whole kit for $300.  Yeah, not a lot of money, but a quick and easy sale!  LOL  JK    :)  :poopoke:

Offline geminiviper

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:20:43 PM »
Hey, I'm just a newb here on the site, and with cars in general.  I've spent the last 5 years seeking something while settling for something else.  Everyday I go out of the house I'm setting myself up to secceed in getting what I want.  I have at least 3 years until I can have what I want.  But I know that when it gets here there will be a huge sense of accomplishment.  You might get money out of your car, but you'll never get back the time you've spent on it until you finish it and drive it.  Stick with it and you'll find yourself happy in the end.
Ben

Understeer is hitting the wall with your front end.
Oversteer is hitting the wall with your back end.
Horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall.
Torque is how far you can push that wall after you hit it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:26:06 PM »
If it's O.K. with you.
Can you get us back to current on some pics of your car and engine?
Do you have the You tube engine break in video?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:58:27 PM »
Here are some pictures.  These were taken a couple years ago.  We have since moved and it now lives in a new garage with a lot more space to work. ...and cleaner.  :bigsmile:
But the car hasn't changed much from where it was in these pictures.  I also have a link to the dyno run.

A lot of what has been said, I kind of knew. But when you hear it from someone else, especially someone who has dealt with my same dilemma, it takes on more meaning.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:09:52 PM »
After seeing the pictures and how close the car is, DON'T SELL IT!! You will regret it. That will be an amazing car and you will only lose money by selling it. If it's not costing you anything sitting there don't worry about it.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:11:18 PM »
You're too close to seeing it on the road. I wish I could be closer to help finish it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:15:48 PM »
Almost everybody that has sold their project has regretted it later.  I know I did when I sold my Corvette, but at the time I needed the cash.  If you don't have a "need" to sell it and it isn't taking up room that you need, why sell it at a loss?  I just took my Challenger off the road and I have a second child on the way so I won't be able to work on my car as much.  It will sit in my garage until I can get to it. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 - 03:32:06 PM by Scatterbrain »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:30:55 PM »
I just know that car would beat Sledgehammers Dart project.  :bigsmile:  :stirpot: :poopoke:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010 - 04:10:06 PM »
    My car also set for some 21 years in my garage while I was starting my family and career ect.  I almost sold it once but the buyer never came back with the money. I am so glad he backed out and I still have it.  Just park it untill you get remotivated again. Even if it sets for a few more years you will be glad you did'nt get rid of it.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010 - 05:01:40 PM »
Hang in there buddy. You're not that far away. If it's not running in the car yet  get it going and just take it for a short drine as is. You'll get your intrest going again for sure. :drool:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!