Author Topic: It's happening! UPDATED it got hotter, oh boy  (Read 5993 times)

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
It's happening! UPDATED it got hotter, oh boy
« on: April 28, 2010 - 01:35:10 PM »
The Arizona Republic newspaper posted this article this morning, here is part of it!

Adriana Miranda leaned against the door frame and started to sob.
Her husband hasn't found steady work in a year. Then, on Friday, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the tough anti-illegal-immigration law that will allow police to arrest illegal immigrants like her. It was the last straw. After seven years in Arizona, the family was moving.
"Yesterday, we sold our trailer," Miranda, 38, said between sobs. "We don't know exactly where. Another state."
Miranda is not alone. More than 100,000 undocumented immigrants have left Arizona in the past two years because of the bad economy and earlier enforcement crackdowns. Now, a new wave of Latinos is preparing to leave. And it isn't just illegal immigrants: Legal residents and U.S. citizens also say they will leave Arizona because they view the state as unfriendly to Hispanics.
Phoenix resident Javier Collazo, 18, a U.S. citizen who was born in California, said he is worried police may question him about his immigration status because of his appearance. He is also worried that he could be arrested under a provision of the law that makes it a crime to transport undocumented immigrants. His in-laws are undocumented, and so are several of his friends.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 - 08:12:43 PM by az-nick »

Offline somedaysoon

Re: It's happening!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:46:32 PM »
  Good! If you're illegal you shouldn't be here anyway.  Now if we can just get the other states to fall inline.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:49:34 PM »
Good riddance.

If you are here in our country legally, went thru all the trouble of doing it "right", then welcome....roll up your sleeves and build yourself a life.

If you snuck in, well, all I can say is "easy come, easy go". 

Bye bye, and dont let the door hit you on the @ss on the way out.

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 - 01:52:04 PM »
An official in TX just announced that they are going to introduce the same or similar bill also!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:24:02 PM »
I'd say most of the illegals will head north, Texas or California is too close to the border and like Arizonia they will be under surivalence. Instead of going back to Mexico they will try and avoid this by going north and east in my opinion. What however needs to happen is for Texas and California as well as other states to pass this kind of law as well, perhaps then the Fed. will do what should have been done in the begining. But the Fed. wants an aministy reform to automatically make them citizens, especially with November elections approaching. It's so obvious it's a farce.   :2cents: 
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

wagesofsin

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:30:54 PM »
god bless arizona and texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  now if everyone else gets on the stick , ..............  hey , a fella can dream right??  haha

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:38:30 PM »
I was listening to the People's Radio recently and there was a woman saying something to the effect that "we shouldn't be criminalizing illegal immigrants."

They're ILLEGAL immigrants. They're already criminals. They chose to be criminals and to commit a criminal act by crossing the border illegally.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010 - 02:57:16 PM »
Well its one thing to target criminals, but how do you identify them in this case?  Simply put the color of their skin.

So I will now have to carry proof of my citizenship even though I was born here, even my grandparents were born here.  My family has been in Texas longer than many and I don't even know anybody from Mexico, but if I get pulled over and they don't believe that I was born here I get hauled off until I can prove that I am supposed to be here?  Remember, the bill says that a driver's license isn't enough to prove citizenship.

I'd say its racial profiling catering to American fears.  There has to be a better way. 

I spent a week in south Texas for my Grandfather's funeral.  I stayed at my sister's place.  At around 3 o'clock I got back from the funeral home to change and there was a line of cars parked all along the sides of the street in front of my sisters house.  I asked her whats going on.  She said those are the Mexican's picking up their kids from school to take them back to Mexico.  WTH?  She said yeah, they come over to drop them off for the bus and they come to pick them up.  They use their relative's address for the school.  This isn't a poor neighborhood, my sister and her husband are professionals.  These cars weren't old jalopies, they were new model LExus', BMRs and Expeditions.  These people are stealing, they don't pay school taxes.  They are taking advantage of a system.  My sister says they have called the police, but nothing gets done.  With this bill, my sister and I would be just as likely to get rounded up as these criminals and thats where this bill is wrong.

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:15:51 PM »
Well its one thing to target criminals, but how do you identify them in this case?  Simply put the color of their skin.

So I will now have to carry proof of my citizenship even though I was born here, even my grandparents were born here.  My family has been in Texas longer than many and I don't even know anybody from Mexico, but if I get pulled over and they don't believe that I was born here I get hauled off until I can prove that I am supposed to be here?  Remember, the bill says that a driver's license isn't enough to prove citizenship.
I'd say its racial profiling catering to American fears.  There has to be a better way. 

I spent a week in south Texas for my Grandfather's funeral.  I stayed at my sister's place.  At around 3 o'clock I got back from the funeral home to change and there was a line of cars parked all along the sides of the street in front of my sisters house.  I asked her whats going on.  She said those are the Mexican's picking up their kids from school to take them back to Mexico.  WTH?  She said yeah, they come over to drop them off for the bus and they come to pick them up.  They use their relative's address for the school.  This isn't a poor neighborhood, my sister and her husband are professionals.  These cars weren't old jalopies, they were new model LExus', BMRs and Expeditions.  These people are stealing, they don't pay school taxes.  They are taking advantage of a system.  My sister says they have called the police, but nothing gets done.  With this bill, my sister and I would be just as likely to get rounded up as these criminals and thats where this bill is wrong.

Well hell I guess we should sit back and do nothing, because we sure wouldn't want to inconvenience a few for the good of the whole.  Good thing are armed forces don't feel this way.    Pete
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 - 09:08:04 PM by somedaysoon »

Offline geminiviper

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010 - 03:33:08 PM »
While I don't condone the illegal access to our country I do believe there needs to be steps established where people can be welcomed in the official and legal way.  I worked with a guy for a couple years who was an illegal alien for almost 10 years because he was not aware he needed to become legal.  Some say that can't be but in a society where it hasn't been a priority to be a legal resident he didn't know.  He told me the day he found out he was illegal he went down to ICE and applied for his green card and studied up and took the test and became a citizen as soon as possible.  What needs to happen is they need to put fundamental socialogical and economical government functions within ICE (maybe not physically but at least get them directly involved).  For example, wellfare.  Put the wellfare offices inside ICE.  Make illegal immigrants OF ANY NATIONALITY have to go through Immigrations to become legal before they qualify for food stamps.  When I got my driver's license I had to provide my birth certificate, if you're BC does not state your US location you should have to provide legal documentation from ICE stating you have the legal PRIVILEGE of driving.  I'm all about giving people a fair chance to become legal citizens and it should start with their initial entrance to this country.  But rounding up latinos like a herd of sheep regardless of citizenship status is not the way to go about it. 
Ben

Understeer is hitting the wall with your front end.
Oversteer is hitting the wall with your back end.
Horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall.
Torque is how far you can push that wall after you hit it.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010 - 04:54:32 PM »
There was just a local news clip about a group of around 40 people who just took the oath to the US. They went through all it takes to become a citizen here. I wish them all the best and hope they get a piece of the American dream. For the illegals well I guess it says it all in the description. They are illegal so send them back. When they want to come legal OK.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010 - 07:42:48 PM »
Mexico is howling over the "injust" laws Arizona just passed. If I go to Mexico illegally, I could spend two years in prison. How's that for justice! Arizona has upwards of 1/2 million illegals and has been overburdened for years with the fedaral goverment turning a blind eye to the problem and refusing to take action. The governor and the state legislature did the right thing by enacting carefully considered laws regarding illegal immigration. If you are here legally, you have nothing to worry about.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010 - 08:11:28 PM »
I saw a show about some 1000 illegals that were arrested and deported. One of the guys was from Guatamala. He had been here for 10 years and never got his citizenship so that he didn't have to pay taxes. They interviewed him in Guatemala and he said he regretted not getting it more than anything.

I don't like illegals who leach off our system. The ones who come here and honestly try to become an American I don't mind.

Join the Military. If you serve in the military you will get your citizenship.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

wagesofsin

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010 - 08:20:28 PM »
if you dont subscribe to the following text..... get out and have a nice day.

http://www.handgunrepairshop.com/Theodore_Roosevelt_on_Immigrants.html

Offline RB2929

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010 - 08:35:06 PM »
My parents came through Ellis Island.
They were both German immigrants
America is not against immigration.
Just do it according to the laws in place.