Author Topic: It's happening! UPDATED it got hotter, oh boy  (Read 5994 times)

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
Re: It's happening!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010 - 09:00:45 PM »
My parents came through Ellis Island.
They were both German immigrants
America is not against immigration.
Just do it according to the laws in place.

My mom and dad came thru Ellis in 1950, I saw my mom in March and my mom still carries her id papers around with her because it was the law and she was told she had to.....

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010 - 09:20:34 PM »
My Grandparents on both sides were immigrants. All four took their oaths of citizenship, then considered themselves Americans... NOT "British Americans" or "Italian Americans". Both my Grandfathers fought for our country during WWII not long after becoming Americans, returning to the places they just left to do so.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 - 09:22:25 PM by Challenger III »
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline priderocks

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010 - 10:57:14 PM »
This is a tough issue. I have never met a Hispanic person I didn't like. Lots of them here in southern Ca. If I were born in Mexico and watched my parents and kids struggle in poverty knowing I could do something about it, I would head north, without a doubt. If my sick wife or kid or parent could be made well or more comfortable with medicine I couldn't afford, I would head north. When you put faces and names to the illegals, everything changes. If you keep it at a distance and it is just a concept, it is far easier to have strong feelings about it. I know a lot of illegals. The lady who occassionally helps clean our house (her husband is disabled) is an illegal, and is one of the sweetest people I have ever known.
It is easy when you're a strong white employed male living in the wealthiest nation in the world with tons of extraneous crap (can you say big screens, cars) in your life you don't need to feel we should enforce the laws. Hell, I got mine, you get yours, right? Sure, lots of them milk the system, and sure, we can't throw open the borders. I have no answers.

Offline BP23G0B

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010 - 11:47:13 PM »
Join the Military. If you serve in the military you will get your citizenship.

Funny you should bring that up. It reminded me of a story from a few weeks ago on that very topic. Military service doesn't give one citizenship. Just ask this Vet
'70 Barracuda Gran Coupe
'14 Ram 1500 Express Black Edition

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010 - 08:29:27 AM »
I haven't watched the video because I'm about to leave the house, but when I was in the Marine Corps we had a few guys from different countries in my company. They got their citizenship fairly easy. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it if they got it just fine.

There was at least 5 Marines that I remember that got their citizenship while I was in that company.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010 - 08:38:43 AM »
There has to be a better way. 

I concur with this, but as the Arizona governor said at her press conference, "We've waited for Washington for years. If they won't do anything, we will."

Further evidence that this continues in today's Washington Post. Obama says that he sees no evidence of any cry for immigration reform.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline geminiviper

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010 - 09:03:51 AM »
Funny you should bring that up. It reminded me of a story from a few weeks ago on that very topic. Military service doesn't give one citizenship. Just ask this Vet

From being in the military there are a few issues with this.  Yes, serving in the military does get you your citizenship, but you have to do the legwork to ensure your paperwork gets through.  There is a chain of command and an entire section within the military dedicated to getting this process pushed through.  If there is anything I have learned in my military career so far, it is that no one looks out for you better than you do.  If you have something important being processed then you follow it as close as possible.  It's like your paycheck.  If you don't get paid you are going to start asking why.  Same thing.  The reason he is being deported is because (since he didn't ensure he got his citizenship) he was a legal alien that violated a law and got caught, and punished.  The legal system failed him in that process, that is true.  But had he plead not guilty and gone to trial and lost, he would have served more time and then he would have been deported.  I agree that he should have his citizenship retroactive to the date he submitted his application for citizenship (provided it was approved then) and he should be treated like any other convict released from jail.  But his entire situation comes down to personal accountability.  Everyone is accountable for what they do and what they don't.
Ben

Understeer is hitting the wall with your front end.
Oversteer is hitting the wall with your back end.
Horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall.
Torque is how far you can push that wall after you hit it.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010 - 09:07:21 AM »
I have no answers.

You said a lot that makes sense, the answer is sipmly enter with the proper (legal) paperwork. In other words honestly and proudly walk or ride across the border, don't tunnel underground, don't swim the rivers, don't by darkness scale the border fences. I need to have a visa to leave and re-enter my country, the legal paperwork. Yes, sadly some decent well intended people may be affected, but the criminally intent will not be open, some I understand are released prisoners who are intent to continue that life style. Thus the drugs, the kidnappings, the murders, and yes the rapes of any females, not just American citizens.  :2cents:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010 - 10:59:02 AM »
The key with all this is to do it legally. Period. The folks they just had on the news did what it takes and I couldn't be happier for them. WELCOME! to the greatest nation on earth.

:wavingflag:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010 - 11:13:18 AM »
My wife was brought here from Cuba when she was 10 years old by her father and had an indefinite asylum visa. She was thrown into a school in Miami that had NO spanish speaking teachers and the janitor had to translate what the teacher wanted from her. Her , her sister and her brother learned english because there was no bilingual schools back then. They ended up growing up in a foster home because their father died a month after bringing them here, and she thought she was a U.S. citizen up until about 5 years after we were married, at which time her sister told her that they had never been naturalized and she needed to get her citizenship. My wife had to go through the whole process, green card for 3 years and then applying for citizenship and jumping through the hoops to get it done. All this was after living in the U.S. for 25 years being a productive person with a good paying job and paying taxes etc.

Folks, the process of becoming a U.S. citizen is not that hard! Those who are in this country illegally choose that route for whatever reasons they have, but the key word is CHOOSE! I have no sympathy for anyone who makes the choice to remain here illegally and make no attempt to become a citizen or at least a resident alien.

The action taken by Arizona was spurred on by the fact that not enough is being done by the Feds to address the problem of illegal entry into this country, and by the murder of a rancher in S.E. Arizona by illegal border crossers. I'm not surprised that Texas is considering similar action, and I hope that New Mexico does also! Those of you who don't live down here in the border states don't really have a grasp of the situation along our southern border that is going on with the drug cartel wars just across the border, and this stuff is spilling over into the U.S. There are truly bad people crossing that border every day and if the Feds continue to do business as usual it's just going to get worse, a LOT worse! I'm a retired law enforcement officer and not prone to being an alarmist, but living only 34 miles from the border I keep loaded firearms in the house at all times, and I live in the middle of town! If I was a rancher or farmer out in the country I wouldn't step foot out of the house nowadays without a 45 on my belt and a rifle in my pickup. In the town just across the border from us in the last 12 months both the Mayor and a very well established dentist were kidnapped and executed, and the police chief crossed over seeking asylum. In Juarez, just across the river from El Paso, you see the military patrolling the city streets in pickups with 2 soldiers in the cab and 4 standing in the back, all armed with automatic weapons! In Laredo people hear bullets whizzing overhead from Nuevo Laredo, just across the river! This whole issue is not just about Mexican Nationals sneaking into the country to work, it also has a lot to do with the very safety of the citizens of the U.S., the people who have made this country what it is today. If you have nothing to hide and want nothing more than to come here and make a better life for yourself then do it the legal way, otherwise suffer the consequences! This country has the most liberal immigration laws of just about any country in the world and there is no reason to be here illegally if you want to be a law abiding, productive resident!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline BP23G0B

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010 - 12:42:01 PM »
In Juarez, just across the river from El Paso, you see the military patrolling the city streets in pickups with 2 soldiers in the cab and 4 standing in the back, all armed with automatic weapons!

I guess that's not surprising when you learn Los Zetas was founded by ex-Mexican millitary personnel.  They're better trained and better equiped than the police.  I've heard Juarez is a hell hole.  The author, Charles Bowden, has several books out about the drug cartel in Mexico.  I've been meaning to pick a couple of them up and learn more.  The last interview I heard with him he mentioned the mayor of one of the Mexican boarder towns actually has his residence across the boarder in Texas.
'70 Barracuda Gran Coupe
'14 Ram 1500 Express Black Edition

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010 - 12:56:38 PM »
A short time back in one of the bigger Mexico border cities in the Gulf Cartel's territory (I don't remember which one) a new Mayor was elected and he said he was not going to bow down to the cartels and was going to clean up the city. Six hours later he was shot to death in his pickup on a city street! BP you are right about Los Zetas. The Gulf Cartel started bringing in military trained personnel, even paying enough to get a lot of them to go AWOL! It backfired on them though when the ex-military guys decided they could cut out the middlemen and run everything themselves!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010 - 01:06:39 PM »
Ronald Reagan opened the door for illegal aliens, Gearge HW Bush opened it a little further, Bill clinton took the door off the hinges, GW Bush threw the door into the gulf and Obama is now torching it.

There will be no hope for this country unless the borders are SLAMMED SHUT.
Here is an article that lays out how illegals are treated in mexico

Link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_migrants_1

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010 - 01:56:17 PM »
So I will now have to carry proof of my citizenship even though I was born here, even my grandparents were born here.  My family has been in Texas longer than many and I don't even know anybody from Mexico, but if I get pulled over and they don't believe that I was born here I get hauled off until I can prove that I am supposed to be here?  Remember, the bill says that a driver's license isn't enough to prove citizenship.
I'd say its racial profiling catering to American fears.  There has to be a better way. 

If I drive and get pulled over and I dont have my license/registration, chances are good my car is towed and I am walking, and maybe fined.

The law says I have to have my driver's license anytime I get behind the wheel.

So, I do.

Easy enough.

The "racial profiling" argument is getting real old, real fast.

Sure there are cops who will abuse the new law.  Some people will always find ways to pick on and bully others....unfortunately some of them have badges. But they are the same ones that are abusing OTHER laws and they need to be rooted out.

I think its a shame that the cries of abuse of the law are already going out, and the law hasnt even taken effect yet.

All I know is that the solution is NOT to ignore the issue, and you can't rely on tehcriminals to be "nice" and obey the laws.  Someone...anyone....who breaks into our country in the dead of the night and sneaks around and avoids taxes and avoids becoming legit for whatever reason is a criminal.

I have worked hard for what I have and my lifestyle.

I have no problem with someone from another country wanting my lifestyle. I think we live in the best damn country in the world, even with the number of issues we have.  Glad to share it.  But my lifestyle comes with responsibilities, like following the laws of the land.  Gotta take the good and the bad, not just the good.

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010 - 02:13:51 PM »
If I drive and get pulled over and I dont have my license/registration, chances are good my car is towed and I am walking, and maybe fined.

The law says I have to have my driver's license anytime I get behind the wheel.

So, I do.

Easy enough.

Dunno where you live, but I've been stopped lots of times without insurance and without a drivers license and all they say is stop by Station with it or fax us a copy of it and I'm on my way.  With this they will hold you until you cough up a birth certificate.  A driver's license is a privilege not a right.  Is living in this country now a right?

So you are saying its ok for everybody in this country to walk around with "papers" to show that you belong here and if you can't produce them you are hauled away and treated like a criminal until you prove otherwise?  Subjected to the embarrassment and ridicule of everyone?  Cuz, thats what your statement sounds like its saying?

I'm not advocating for the illegals, I can't stand them anymore than anybody else, my Grandpa, rest in peace, would say the only thing that comes from Mexico is the trash.  But there has to be a better solution than this.  Their was a representative from Texas that said she wanted to introduce a bill like that here.  Her argument was "If I'm speeding on 290 and get pulled over, I don't get offended thinking he stopped me for being a woman."  Well, that analogy isn't correct.  It would be better to say that after I was pulled over I had to prove I was a woman.  Lets see how offended she'd get having to flash her boobies...