Author Topic: Anyone using Flowmaster 40's  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: Anyone using Flowmaster 40's
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010 - 06:00:45 PM »
It's funny, about 15 years ago, everybody and their brother wanted that "Movie/TV" sound from their cars and Flowmaster delivered in spades and nobody was complaining about the level of droan/noise/etc...Now, it would seem that the famous 2 chamber flowtubes are out of style...

I run the old skool 2 chamber none of that three chamber Delta Flow crap, and kinda prefer people in the mini van next to me to say things like "Look kids, that's what daddy wants to be like one day"...However, After 12 years of Flowmasters, I heard a set of the DynoMax "Turbo" mufflers on a 440 Road Runner the other day, and am now after that famous "4BBL moan" type sound....So, I will prolly just run a set of them on the Challenger....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline challydust

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010 - 10:46:11 AM »
I gotta chime in here....i want my muscle to sound like muscle!...every on here has a opinion for sure...its ur car do what you like....IMO....I run 3 inch with crossover into flowmaster 44's....supposedly there deepest tone muffler....Ive had tons of compliments over the years, tons...but ive never had anyone come up to me and say  man that car sounds like crap....lol  to each is own....i love the flows :clapping:

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010 - 01:55:36 AM »
I have not had a chance to get a hold of the guy to check out the mufflers.  I am also in debate (with myself) on what exhaust system I am going to use.  The TTI is recommended, but expensive.  The Magnaflow is there and about 550 only, but it is more a universal design.  I want to find a local shop that can mandrel bend 3" and go that route.  I talked to another muffler shop and said that I had the x-pipe, collectors, and the mufflers already and how much for 3" installed.  He told me a "not much more than 400 bucks".  Like he was giving me a deal.  I could not believe it.  So now I am scoping out 3" exhaust.
Jason

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010 - 12:28:25 PM »
I got flow 40's on the 'cuda. They were there when I got her. Dodgeboys(Scott) took a decent vid. Can't find it quick.  It's on youtube.    The charger and my work van also both have flow 40's.  Got them for 40 bucks for both off CL for the charger. The one for the van was free.  Can't beat those prices.  But I'm about to get side exit with different mufflers.   Nobody has ever complained about how she sounds. With a crossover they do drone more at idle.   When i roll Golden. The first time through I keep her in 2nd. Come in letting everyone know. They all look.  :crazy:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010 - 01:22:37 PM »
I can rememberabout 2 decades ago plus some when they came out.  Chevy and mopar started using them first as I recall, then ford mustangs started mounting them on there sides back at the rear bumper. I got no problems with them and they unleash a lot of power.  It's a sound us oldtimers kinda like to hear from back in the day

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:49:47 AM »
I have them and they make my 318 sound pretty good. I get lots of compliments on the sound.  One guy did mention flowmasters and I wondered how he knew without looking under the car...  Lol I guess in retrospect that may not have been a copmpliment.   They do drone at 40 mph or so and have the metallic trash can sound, but I kinda like it.

I never thought of changing them out but once I get the 340 in it I may have to look into somthing else.  I'll try to hear some other 340s first.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010 - 09:32:28 PM »
I love the Roar and Rumble of the  Flowmaster Mufflers, sounds like the 440 has Big Balls!

It must be loud as people walking on the street turn their head a block away and look as I approach them from behind, or they love the sound of a Mopar!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010 - 09:34:12 PM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline challydust

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010 - 02:44:25 PM »
I Agree...... :drool:......most mopars do have Big Balls...... :roflsmiley: