Author Topic: Tri State Oil Spill  (Read 10037 times)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
Re: Tri State Oil Spill
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010 - 08:11:13 AM »
Just caught part of one news report on this and it something to the extent that the inital blast was caused by underwater methane gas, evidently sparked by something on the platform. Also seems that this well must have been a lot stronger (pressure) comming in than usual...............unless part of that extreme pressure that "bypassed" the safty and shutdown procedures was a mix of crude and methane.?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010 - 10:30:40 PM »
OMG, did anyone hear the testimony on Williams the worker from the oil well platform  that's leaking on 60 Minutes tonight?

BP was pressuring the crew to speed it up. were told it took 6 weeks to hit oil. Timeframe BP wanted was 2 weeks.  The Annualer gasket came up from the well and they were told by a BP manager..."Don't worry about it" The annualar seal does the pressure tests if methane gas is coming up. This story is getting muddier than Watergate.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010 - 08:57:18 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010 - 09:42:37 PM »
my family sends our prayers out to the loss that the familys had on the day the platform went down . god bless
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010 - 06:39:53 PM »
Yeah, it's turning into more and more of a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if that Company man goes to jail for multiple counts. I'm surprised this happened to BP, they are one of the most stringent in the business, alongside Shell and Chevron..
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline willhaven

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010 - 09:24:17 PM »
BP had hundreds of safety violations in the last three years  (760 willful violations). Exxon had 1. One. Uno. Singular.

Citgo? 2.

If what the BP/Transocean people are saying is true, they weren't following procedure, they were rushing and they were knowingly working with damaged equipment. If that's true, expect heads to roll and expect a lot more regulation. It's about time too.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010 - 10:48:27 PM »
I can't speak for all of BP, but I do know from all the people I have worked with BP has a very stringent safety policy for doing Well completions. Now that is a very small part of the process, but they are some of the hardest companies to work for.

I would imagine that the majority of violations came from either refineries, or the drilling process, which must be done by a certain to avoid losing a lease. I am by no means saying that vindicates; don't get me wrong. I'm just saying from my experience they have a very strong safety policy.
Kevin

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010 - 10:54:49 PM »
Alright, so I did a little looking, and it does appear that these charges were given at Refineries. Also understand that it wasn't 760 individual times that these were done, it was something like 400 at one time. That is ridiculous though. It said that

"According to the Center for Public Integrity, in the last three years, BP refineries in Ohio  and Texas  have accounted for 97 percent of the "egregious, willful" violations handed out by OSHA".

That is absolutely insane. I had no idea that BP was like this. Like I said, for the completions side, they are very stringent.
Kevin

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:12:20 PM »
I'm gonna throw my  :2cents: in here

First off the 11 that died.... I dont here to much about that... WTF? My sympathy to the families.

Second the enviromental concerns... CLEAN THE SOB UP!!!! My gawd I cant watch the news for 5 mins w/o someone who has there own plan.  As a recycler some of these plans are actually pretty good ... JUST DO IT!!

Third Odrama wanting to know whos booty to kick... n!%%@ please... he said she said we said (and repeat) and play the blame game.

Fourth, do we need the oil from offshore drilling ... damn right we do... in jobs, now I hear it tops 46,000. And no I do not liver in a third world county $8 a gallon gas...... heeeellllllll no

70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:37:50 PM »
I'm gonna throw my  :2cents: in here

First off the 11 that died.... I dont here to much about that... WTF? My sympathy to the families.

Second the enviromental concerns... CLEAN THE SOB UP!!!! My gawd I cant watch the news for 5 mins w/o someone who has there own plan.  As a recycler some of these plans are actually pretty good ... JUST DO IT!!

Third Odrama wanting to know whos booty to kick... n!%%@ please... he said she said we said (and repeat) and play the blame game.

Fourth, do we need the oil from offshore drilling ... damn right we do... in jobs, now I hear it tops 46,000. And no I do not liver in a third world county $8 a gallon gas...... heeeellllllll no

Great post  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010 - 10:00:23 PM »
I saw on CNN yesterday where there is a guy down in Florida that is selling para-sailing trips so you can go out and look for oil on the water. They made a huge about "a white sheen that must have been oil". When they got close they noticed it was barely even enough see up close. It was so dilluted that when they scooped it they only got tiny specks. The reported then said "Well, it's not hardly anything. But any day now they will be getting all the oil over here!" I thought it was pretty funny....kinda like "The death toll is currently 0, but that could change at any minute!" lol.

And the guys who lost their shrimping income, think about all the hands that worked on the offshore rigs that have been out of work too. I don't know how many that is, but the shrimpers aren't the only guys losing work.
Kevin

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010 - 08:30:45 AM »
It is a devastating tragic event, but sadly it has as usual become mostly political drama. Pointing fingers at whose fault it might be, political and environmental grand standing. Personally if they had started atempting to clean it up from once the inital fire was put out instead of just trying to contain the "slick" until it was stopped it surely wouldn't be as bad and widespread as it is now. Sorry,................Obama wants to know who is at fault so he knows where to start "kicking asses", I beleive his time and energy would have been better spent first as Bigs said giving support and comfort to the families who lost family members, and then doing what might be possible to help all those affected by the loss of employment because of the now massive oil slick.   :dunno: I heard that the Fed. EPA prevented the state of La. from building sand barriers around the wet lands and marshes to absorb the oil when it did arrive.   :clueless:  At least the state was wanting to be proactive in a possible help/solution to protect those islands, but the government said no, you do what we say and when we tell you. That is basically the situation in that one aspect of this mess. In the mean time.........................  :swear:  :banghead:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010 - 09:11:08 AM »
I caught CNN for a few seconds while playing TV News Channel Roulette the other day; long enough to hear Kyra Phillips comment on her recent assignment regarding Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, quoting the Admiral as saying "I'm very careful who I rent space to in my head.". 

Here's the video. Jim, I think he heard you...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/02/a-day-with-coast-guard-adm-thad-allen-and-the-oil-spill/

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010 - 10:16:41 AM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline willhaven

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010 - 04:18:14 PM »
It is a devastating tragic event, but sadly it has as usual become mostly political drama. Pointing fingers at whose fault it might be, political and environmental grand standing. Personally if they had started atempting to clean it up from once the inital fire was put out instead of just trying to contain the "slick" until it was stopped it surely wouldn't be as bad and widespread as it is now. Sorry,................Obama wants to know who is at fault so he knows where to start "kicking asses", I beleive his time and energy would have been better spent first as Bigs said giving support and comfort to the families who lost family members, and then doing what might be possible to help all those affected by the loss of employment because of the now massive oil slick.   :dunno: I heard that the Fed. EPA prevented the state of La. from building sand barriers around the wet lands and marshes to absorb the oil when it did arrive.   :clueless:  At least the state was wanting to be proactive in a possible help/solution to protect those islands, but the government said no, you do what we say and when we tell you. That is basically the situation in that one aspect of this mess. In the mean time.........................  :swear:  :banghead:
The problem with the sand berm plan is that it would take 6-9 months to complete at a cost of nearly $4m per mile. And hurricane season is approaching. Storms and normal wave action will make quick work of a sand berm.

Too slow, too expensive, too fragile. At least our crappy boom plan is quick, less expensive and still very fragile.

My guess is that we're absolutely screwed until those relief wells are drilled. The newer cap may capture more of the flow, but not all of it. So, August is best case scenario for controlling the flow.

Thanks BP! I hope rushing the drilling process was worth it.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010 - 04:57:33 PM »
I also forgot to add. In the years 1998-2008, the number of offshore drilling rigs increased tenfold. The number of inspectors only grew by 13%.