Tri State Oil Spill

Author Topic: Tri State Oil Spill  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Tri State Oil Spill
« on: May 01, 2010 - 10:18:20 AM »
BP claimed to do the inspections on the BOP devices on their platforms. This one malfunctioned. who checked it last? When?

The BOP device crimps the oil tube shut under a high psi emergency. They're saying now it could take up to 3 months to get this open line shut. The gulf is a multi Billion fishing industry just like off our west coast. It's a strong part of the working economy around New Orleans and the surrounding areas. Bottom line is this is going to have an impact bigger than Hurricane Katrina. Then add another 5-15 years of enviornmental impact. The whole situation just blows.  :2cents:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Tri State Oil Spill
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010 - 10:34:46 AM »
Definately a major disaster. Obama said he's gonna go check it out, maybe tomorrow. Took like 9 days for him to even respond to it at all. Wonder how the press would have responded to that
if it was GWB?  :clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010 - 11:14:37 AM »
I've noticed a lack of responsibility by the greedy oil companies when it comes to maintinence, care, and concern for the refinement industry in general. The overall tone seems to be: we'll get to it when we can, right now we are busy lining our pockets making oil for you.- by the way, this will cost you, the taxpayer for our lack of readiness and general disregard for anything but making us (the oil companies) rich.
Did you notice how there is no direct accountability?
@ holes.
I agree with you mike, top concern is the impact that it will have in the south coastal region, both environmental and economical.

Now I'll get off my pedestal.
Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010 - 12:23:17 PM »
Just so yall know, I work in the oilfield, and ya'll have no idea what you're talking about. BP is one of the absolute toughest in the industry as far as QHSE rules. I think they may actually have the most stringent. The tests they do on each and every well before ever working on the well take up to 24 hrs. This is a very long time, considering that our BOP's normally only take about 20 to function and then pressure test, which we do before every well. Believe me, BP is crazy with all of their safety rules.

Now, also understand that BOPs are hydraulically operated. This means that for each ram (the part that closes off above the pipe, or cuts the pipe, or holds the pipe, some have up to 4 rams on each side) there is an open and close hydraulic hose. In a blowout, if your hydraulic hoses get ripped off, how can you close your blinds? I know this from experience, as I was on a surface casing blowout a couple years ago. Luckily nobody was hurt, and it was caused by an overpressure of Nitrogen downhole, so there was no continuous blowout. But if there had been, there would have been no way for us to maintain well control because the scaffolding around the well ripped our BOP hoses off of the BOPs. No hydraulics, no function.

So, since everyone is complaining about a very unfortunate incident, think about the families who lost their husbands out there, trying to get oil out of the ground so that you can drive your muscle cars.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010 - 12:25:07 PM »
Oh, and either BP or the service company involved will be the ones paying to clean it up, not the taxpayers. If BP can't pin it on the service company, which they probably will, then BP will end up paying for it.
Kevin

Offline matt63

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010 - 12:29:30 PM »
Its still looking like a major disaster.  With all the supposed great risk management efforts, where is the emergency response plan for such an event?
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010 - 12:52:02 PM »
It is a major disaster. There is no mistaking that. Every production company, which is what BP is, same as Shell, Exxon, Chesapeake, and so on, has some kind of emergency plan. However, safety is the first priority when it comes to any type of major incident, such as a blowout.

Wells in the gulf can have high pressures, 3000 to 9000 psi. If you consider the volume of downhole fluids, this a very very high amount of force. You can't just run in and push a button.

Their primary BOPs, the ones not in use by the service company, are underwater. They use robots to open and close valves. But with conditions out there right now they are having problems getting that done.

There is only so much you can do in this situation, and BP has done everything they can. They are moving two rigs in right now to tap into the well so they can kill it with a heavier fluid.

I can't speak for every detail, but I promise you that BP is doing what they can, and that the environment is a huge consideration in everything they do.
Kevin

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010 - 02:35:05 PM »
I don't how the could get to this leak with entire oil plat form sank on top of it.  It seems like to me they would have to remove the drilling rig before they could get equipment to it to do anything.  Beyond the enviromental issues this will devastate the economy in Northwest florida and southern alabama along the coast.  There will be no tourist.  Restaurants will close, toursit related business will go belly up.  Chair rental companies.  Then all of the marine related business's.  As there will be no need to go fishing.  Who wants to eat a oily red fish.  No boats running no maintence on them.  Marinas will close.  Boat sells will drop along with the value of them.  Second homes in this market already have been devastated in value.  Who is going to want a beach house when you can't go to the beach.  I understand you can smell the oil in the New Orleans area.  I live on a barrier island in NW Florida.  If this takes 10 years to clean up and dissapate it will make hurricanes look like a minor annoance.  Then again a hurricane in a few years might just wash it all inland.  But like all things in life this will come to pass.  Some how things will work out, but this area may never be the same.

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010 - 05:38:23 PM »
This is a tragic situation for the families that lost loved ones. I sure hope that those responsible will take care of the enviromental disaster ASAP. I hate it when our world gets messed up by things that are preventable.

Offline priderocks

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010 - 07:01:31 PM »
I'm pretty much a conservative across the board regarding social and economic issues. Where I stray from the fold is in regard to environmental stuff. To be sure, I think many Greens are drug-crazed-hippie-burnout-Berkeley-tofu eating wackos, and a lot of their causes are off the wall.
But drilling in environmentally sensitive areas like the Gulf is a Faustian bargain. I'm in the enviros camp on this one- shut down all offshore drilling. I'd rather drive less and see $6/gallon gas than to see this happen.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010 - 08:51:23 PM »
It matters not if we shut down the rigs there because China is drilling 50 miles off the coast anyway and they care not about the impact it will have if a similar disaster strikes.
http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/china_starts_oil_drilling.html

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 - 08:54:42 PM by 71chally416 »
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010 - 12:08:12 AM »
Here's a little more info on the whole thing.

http://www.rigzone.com/news/topics/deepwater_horizon.asp
Kevin

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010 - 06:41:34 AM »
This is a tragic situation for the families that lost loved ones.

:iagree:   That is the tradgedy,everything else can be fixed.

Unless we completely stop using oil accidents are going to happen whether it is a platform or a ship and I think the impact of the world stopping the use of all oil products tommorow will have a bigger imapct than this spill.  :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010 - 07:52:00 AM »
Sad and tradgic any way you consider it, especially the loss of life. I've yet to hear even any speculation on what may have caused the inital explosion. With all the precautions and prventive measures required and taken, could sabatoge be a possibility? And with the extent of damage the cause may go unknown. Just sad.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010 - 01:11:29 PM »
BP and the White House are gonna catch Hell for this.

In a 52-page plan filed with the federal Minerals Management Service, BP concedes that any possible spill would impact beaches, wildlife refuges and wilderness areas. But it argued that "due to the distance to shore (48 miles) and the response capabilities that would be implemented, no significant adverse impacts are expected."
The document is public information and was excerpted by The Associated Press and The New York Times.

Two dozen lawsuits have already been filed against BP, including action by shrimpers and fishermen who fear the spill could bankrupt their businesses, and by families of some of the 11 oil rig workers killed.

The U.S. government has also come under fire for its response to the spill, with right-wing commentator Rush Limbaugh calling it "Obama's Katrina." He's referring to criticism of George W. Bush after his administration was seen as slow to respond to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which hit the same stretch of the U.S. Gulf coast.

Obama is heading to the Louisiana coast this weekend. But it took the White House until Thursday -- nine days after this oil spill began -- to declare it "a leak of national significance."

The same day, Obama pledged "every single available resource" – including possibly the U.S. military – to help plug the leak. He also dispatched SWAT inspection teams to other oil rigs in the area and sent three top administration officials to oversee the response.

On Friday, the White House also banned all new offshore drilling projects until the spill is thoroughly investigated.

600-Plus Species are at risk From Deadly Gulf Oil Spill.
Mike, Fremont, CA.