Author Topic: Tri State Oil Spill  (Read 10040 times)

Offline priderocks

Re: Tri State Oil Spill
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010 - 07:55:38 PM »
The Obama group is relying on BP to fix the mess.
States are relying on the government to force BP to fix the mess.
Some are relying on the feds to fix the mess, like they have a clue how to do this.
The lawyers are expecting nobody will be able to fix the mess.

It's obvious, despite the supposed safeguards in place, BP was unprepared to cope with something like this, but managed to somehow snow the responsible parties with  the reams of paperwork, permits, and environmental stuff they were required to submit before they drilled.

If BP is allegedly the most thorough and best prepared to deal with spills like this, imagine how an exploration company like Joe's Drilling, Fried Chicken and Car Wash would have handled it. I hope BP is sued back to the stone ages.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010 - 08:07:16 PM »
We the little people will start fixing it.  Like pay at the pump. Watch the fuel prices rise and the news tell us why :money:.  Bottom line is..........Bottom feeders will never have a happy long life.  Our progress is destroying our future

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010 - 11:29:13 PM »
Production companies have Blowout insurance. I don't really know for how much, or how it works, but they do have insurance. I doubt it's enough to cover even a small part of it, but still.

Accidents happen, even to the most stringent companies. This happens to be a major one. It's just getting old hearing so many people talk about how BP didn't do their job. They did what they can, and are doing what they still have the means to do. In the event of a blowout, the first priority is the safety of personnel. If this means that they have to hold off on environmental measures for a couple days to look for survivors (which is what happened here), then by all means f--- the fish. 11 men were missing. I don't know if they found them or not. I haven't read much more than the report on RigZone.

If every rig had to have every possible contingency staged right by in case a major catastrophe happens, work would be impossible because the cost involved in keeping all that equipment, ships, and personnel there would keep them from making any profit, probably actually making them lose money to get the oil out.

Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010 - 12:05:33 AM »
I dont care if they loose money and go belly up.  I hope there's a fine like 6 trillion bucks a day on them. Not only are people dead, but they killed off a lot of marine life, peoples life styles and dreams, you name it. High dollar paid people were to make sure this could not happen. It did. Now get their mess cleaned up, pay every court fine and lawsuit and what ever damages they will be causing, and get their dumb arses out of my ocean. Dont care, dont want to hear it. 

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010 - 01:14:33 AM »
The Blue Fin Tuna, the most sought after Ocean sport fish is currently in spawning in the Gulf now. The species is almost at the point of being endangered and now this may be the beginning of the end for the pacific strain. I have never even seen in person, right before me or caught one and I have fished for them for over 15 years.

The Brown pelican is just now getting it's numbers up. So it also become re threathened.

Red Snapper, Shrimp, and Oyster prices will no doubt climb this summer.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline priderocks

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010 - 01:30:10 AM »
They say if the oil gets into the Gulf Stream it could get sucked up the east coast.

"...All of those tourists covered with oil" -Jimmy Buffet, Margaritaville

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010 - 09:05:37 PM »
Kevin,
you are right, I really don't know enough about oil rigs, or the safety implementation methods to say that BP is going about things at a liesurely pace
You are also correct, 11 families lost someone they loved- it is a horrific tradgedy, and my hearts go out to those families. It was rude of me not to acknowledge that.

I do believe that we the taxpayer ultimately pay the price for this accident, wether preventable or not, insured, covered or whatever.
The cost on the environment, especially in that region is potentially devastating, no matter who pays for it. In this case, spiecies and ecosystems are affected.
Failsafe systems need to be implemented to prevent disasters of this magnitude.
BP knows the potential cause/effect of equipment failures like this one.

BTW- I really don't care what I pay for gas,  I care about the economic well being of the south, and I care that I have safe fish to eat, and that those ecosystems continue to thrive.

I appreciate your insight, I am confidant that you know more than anyone else here and could testify to the fact that BP has an exceptional saftey record. Thank you for taking the time to give us a valid point of view.
Dan

One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010 - 10:58:06 PM »
Blames are being shifted now.

While accepting the costs of the disaster, BP CEO Tony Hayward said the blame for the spill lies with Swiss company Transocean Ltd., which owns the giant Deepwater Horizon platform. BP had leased the platform.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline priderocks

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010 - 12:52:08 AM »
The MMS requires the sub-surface safety valves to be tested every thirty days. Not sure if an MMS guy has to witness the test or if they trust the platform people just to document it was done.
The sub-surface safety valve is a normally closed valve that is held open by a high-pressure hydraulic line from the platform. If the platform has an incident, or a storm rips it loose and the line is severed it closes.
 The problem could be a defective valve, or maybe the concrete between the casing sections has blown out but that seems like a long shot.
Rest assured BP people will be called to testify before some committee in Congress and the Senators will rail on them so they can convince the people congress is doing its job.

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010 - 12:46:50 PM »
Go to usgs.gov and look at the oil reserves in colo wyo and sd ,the 2005 estimates have the us as having more oil than all of the trd eaters in the middle east combined .  Its a good read .GB  :popcorn:
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010 - 05:40:28 PM »
Well well it looks like the dems beloved token gave BP a pass on the valving that would have most likely bypassed this mess , that was in 09 .Today hes throwing his financial support under the bus to save his kfc azz. GB
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010 - 03:30:46 AM »
Finger pointing needs to be put aside right now and just fix the damn leak. The latest news doesn't look so good now.

The icy buildup on the containment box made it too buoyant and clogged it up, BP's Suttles said. Workers who had carefully lowered the massive box over the leak nearly a mile below the surface had to lift it and move it some 600 feet to the side. If it had worked, authorities had said it would reduce the flow by about 85 percent, buying a bit more time as a three-month effort to drill a relief well goes on simultaneously.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010 - 10:47:44 AM »
Whatever happens on a Presidents watch is his to own. At least that's the way it played out for GWB. This catastophe is a major test of Obama's ability to lead and solve problems.  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline BP23G0B

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010 - 12:36:40 AM »
Accidents happen, even to the most stringent companies.

I see what you're saying, but they haven't cast themselves in the best of light in recent years.   They blew 16.5 million on lobbying in 2009.  There was this little drip in 2006,
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2006-09-07-bp-hearing_x.htm

and the minor incident in 2005 that killed 15,
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/26/60minutes/main2126509.shtml

'70 Barracuda Gran Coupe
'14 Ram 1500 Express Black Edition

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010 - 12:41:13 AM »
I think the worst thing of all this is there was never any type of back up plan from the Oil companies on this exact type of disaster. And there wasn't any mandates of safety standards and inspection criterias from our Gov't on any offshore rigs before.

I bet this will all change now after this.
Tuesday, hearings begin in Congress.
Mike, Fremont, CA.