Author Topic: Tri State Oil Spill  (Read 10037 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Re: Tri State Oil Spill
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2010 - 05:52:02 PM »
I was talking today with one of our other supervisors who knows a lot of guys that still work offshore. I know what I'm about to say is probably gonna go over most people's heads, but I'm gonna try and explain it to the best of my ability.

They were cementing the well. This is when they cement in between the casing (the metal pipe that makes up the well bore) and the formation outside of the casing. They began to take a "kick", which is a high pressure jump caused by various downhole issues, most of the time it is pressure pockets or gas pockets. The cement supervisor on duty at the time told the Company Man, which is the BP representative on site, that the kick was coming. They were displacing, or pushing the cement into the formation, with regular sea water. In well control we have what is called "hydrostatic pressure", or in other words the pressure caused by a column of fluid. Just like when you go deeper in a pool and it makes your ears pop, that is called "hydrostatic pressure". Now when you take a kick, you must overcome it with heavier fluids, which raises your hydrostatic pressure. The heavier the fluid the more pressure it creates downhole. So, if you have a kick pressure of 8000 psi, the hydrostatic of the fluid you use must equal at least 8000 psi to keep the kick in check. Back to the story, the supervisor knew they needed a heavier fluid than seawater to handle the kick. He told the Co Man this and the co man told him that he had done the calculations and seawater was heavy enough. Well, needless to say it wasn't. That is the cause of the blowout itself, and the BOP's (blowout preventers) obviously didn't do there job either. They were getting pieces of the packing gasket back at surface and the Co Man told them to keep working as they were almost done.

Sorry if that got a little technical, hopefully I made it fairly understandable.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010 - 06:36:08 PM »
I don`t know a thing about drilling for oil,  and I wouldn`t know who to blame,  but I think it`s just unforgiveable BP has been twisting the facts from day one. I can`t say if other decisions would have been made, based on other facts,  but it sure as heck didn`t improve things. 
It`s heartbreaking...
*** Bart ***

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2010 - 06:56:02 PM »
You can bet that in the meantime OPEC is laughing at us.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010 - 09:36:54 PM »
I was talking today with one of our other supervisors who knows a lot of guys that still work offshore. I know what I'm about to say is probably gonna go over most people's heads, but I'm gonna try and explain it to the best of my ability.

They were cementing the well. This is when they cement in between the casing (the metal pipe that makes up the well bore) and the formation outside of the casing. They began to take a "kick", which is a high pressure jump caused by various downhole issues, most of the time it is pressure pockets or gas pockets. The cement supervisor on duty at the time told the Company Man, which is the BP representative on site, that the kick was coming. They were displacing, or pushing the cement into the formation, with regular sea water. In well control we have what is called "hydrostatic pressure", or in other words the pressure caused by a column of fluid. Just like when you go deeper in a pool and it makes your ears pop, that is called "hydrostatic pressure". Now when you take a kick, you must overcome it with heavier fluids, which raises your hydrostatic pressure. The heavier the fluid the more pressure it creates downhole. So, if you have a kick pressure of 8000 psi, the hydrostatic of the fluid you use must equal at least 8000 psi to keep the kick in check. Back to the story, the supervisor knew they needed a heavier fluid than seawater to handle the kick. He told the Co Man this and the co man told him that he had done the calculations and seawater was heavy enough. Well, needless to say it wasn't. That is the cause of the blowout itself, and the BOP's (blowout preventers) obviously didn't do there job either. They were getting pieces of the packing gasket back at surface and the Co Man told them to keep working as they were almost done.

Sorry if that got a little technical, hopefully I made it fairly understandable.
Yeah, they went with seawater because it was faster. Apparently they were already 5(?) weeks behind schedule so the pressure was on to get it done.

I also heard that the rubber annular to do the pressure testing had been ruined. Apparently when it was clamped down performing a test, someone nudged a joystick and pulled a dozen yards of drill pipe through the annular... shredding it to bits.

Human error + impatience + lax maintenance, repair and inspection practices = this spill

And you bet OPEC is laughing. Even Brazil (if I recall correctly) uses that $500k backup system in case the BOP fails. $500k is going to seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the $10+bn that BP may be charged.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2010 - 07:27:28 PM »
Now the strippers have got their hand out::)

Countless people's livelihoods have suffered as a result of the gulf oil spill: fishermen, drilling crews, oceanfront restaurateurs. And now ... strippers?

That's the word out of New Orleans, where over the weekend England's The Observer reported that the Mimosa Dancing Girls adult entertainment club filed a compensation claim for lost business under the $20 billion gulf oil spill escrow fund that the Obama administration conceived and BP agreed to last week.

But today, the government-appointed administrator of the fund, pay czar Kenneth Feinberg, expressed his doubt that the claim was legitimate.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010 - 11:47:17 PM »
Hey I got a few extra singles.  ::)  :roflsmiley:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010 - 05:34:28 AM »
The economy definately affects their livelyhood, and it's in the tank there since this started.  :grinyes:

Ya gotta love the way the press is all over BP's CEO for taking a single ride in a boat, while most give Obama a pass for having 7 rounds of Golf, two concerts, some baseball games and whatever else he's done since this crisis started. If he was GWB..... :villagers: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010 - 07:52:56 AM »
The economy definately affects their livelyhood, and it's in the tank there since this started.  :grinyes:

Ya gotta love the way the press is all over BP's CEO for taking a single ride in a boat, while most give Obama a pass for having 7 rounds of Golf, two concerts, some baseball games and whatever else he's done since this crisis started. If he was GWB..... :villagers:
:iagree:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline willhaven

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010 - 02:25:20 PM »
Well, the cap came off today... and two people died as a result of the cleanup effort. Faaaaaantastic.

The 6 month moratorium is being appealed, which is a good thing. It only pertains to 30-some platforms out of 3600+ platforms. So roughly 1%. Only exploratory drilling.

Time to review what went wrong, how we fix it, and who else is at risk.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010 - 04:26:53 PM »
Willhaven, you are correct about the annular packig rubber. They were getting pieces of it at surface, but the co man told them to just hurry and finish the job.

What's the deal with the other two dead? I haven't heard about this
Kevin

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010 - 09:33:24 PM »
Someone sent me this. I sure hope it's wrong!
http://www.petroleumworld.com/sf10062001.htm
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline willhaven

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010 - 10:14:37 PM »
What's the deal with the other two dead? I haven't heard about this
I still haven't seen the details yet. CNN/Fox/MSNBC all reported it today.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010 - 09:50:09 PM »
Brad, I don't know how much of that I would believe. The main thing being the 100,000 psi methane pockets. A very high pressure well is 15,000 psi. That is an incredible amount of pressure. There are wells that go higher, but I don't think they go anywhere near 100k. In some areas they actually drill for methane instead of oil or gas.

The H2S (hydrogen sulfide) that they are talking is normally measured in PPM, not PPB.

The blowout preventers are never smaller than a 10k system. I could be wrong, but I don't think they even make them smaller than 10 k. I definitely do not believe that a 1k bop would be used anywhere, as any blowout pressure is going to be much higher than 1000 psi.

Another note about BOP's, they are only "preventers", meaning if you have a blowout, it's not guaranteed they will stop it. However, the ones they use sub-sea are different from the ones we use on land and are supposed to be operated by changes in pressure. There BOP did not, and we all know why.

I would not be surprised if BP intentionally drilled there knowing all of the risks. A couple decades ago the oilfield was very "cowboy", meaning every one operated with disregard to safety and environment. This has changed over the last couple decades, and has gotten even better in the 5 years I've been in the field. But think about it, all the guys from the 60's, 70's and 80's are now higher ups in the companies. So, it's no wonder that some BP co man would try some dumb **** like that guy did.
Kevin

Offline willhaven

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010 - 10:16:30 AM »
I heard that the Fed. EPA prevented the state of La. from building sand barriers around the wet lands and marshes to absorb the oil when it did arrive.   :clueless:  At least the state was wanting to be proactive in a possible help/solution to protect those islands, but the government said no, you do what we say and when we tell you. That is basically the situation in that one aspect of this mess. In the mean time.........................  :swear:  :banghead:

The problem with the sand berm plan is that it would take 6-9 months to complete at a cost of nearly $4m per mile. And hurricane season is approaching. Storms and normal wave action will make quick work of a sand berm.

Too slow, too expensive, too fragile. At least our crappy boom plan is quick, less expensive and still very fragile.

See... the berms are expensive and useless. At least BP seems to have a better cap in place now. Hopefully the pressure doesn't fracture the sea bed, then we're really screwed. Well, we're already really screwed as it is with all of that oil dumped into the ocean. I believe current estimates put it at 6.4M barrels.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/gulfs-artificial-islands-already-failing.html

"Building what they call 'the Louisiana wall' makes sense at first, but the science doesn't support it," Bahr said. "The science should be leading this issue, but it isn't. It never has."

Unfortunately, the berms project has charged ahead in this vein, seeking to build (and spend hundreds of millions of dollars) first, and ask questions later.