Author Topic: Steering Column Change, Auto to Stick  (Read 941 times)

Offline scorpn

Steering Column Change, Auto to Stick
« on: May 01, 2010 - 04:09:31 PM »
Finally got the pic's loaded of the latest project.. Got rid of the Automatic Shift Column and replaced it with a Stick column. Things went very well thanks to the excellent PDF document by member "Topcat". 

Before Pic.. Ugly no longer needed gear indicator and Shifter Mount..

After Pic... Much cleaner look.. Even added a small Tach where the clock plate used to be..

While I had this apart I also upgraded the instrument voltage regulator to a home made Solid State unit, also repaired the Gas and Temp Gauge's and installed the little tach. 

Again thanks for all the help in this project..

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: Steering Column Change, Auto to Stick
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010 - 05:37:19 PM »
Looks much better  :thumbsup:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010 - 08:33:28 AM »
looks good.

Did you replace the whole colum or just the parts?
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline scorpn

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010 - 01:42:18 PM »
I got all the parts from a second stick shift column and rebuilt the original one. I was just going to change it all out, but the column I obtained had a bent steering shaft. The rebuild was really very easy with all the help from this site and the PDF doc that "Topcat" provided. The hardest part to find was the seal and retainer for the lower end of the column, Flea Bay to the rescue!!

Offline duodec

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010 - 03:43:45 PM »
I'm lucky my car came with a console shifter since I really prefer it to the column type.  I wonder though if that column shift window could have been retasked for something like additional warning lights, a shift light, or even somehow a gauge.