Author Topic: My Challenger had a bad day today- wrecked  (Read 53850 times)

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
Re: My Challenger had a bad day today- wrecked
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2010 - 12:58:40 AM »
Wow that accident suxs.

For the car just remember to get NOS parts!

As far as medical goes, it takes three years for nerve damage to rear its painful-ugly head.  People said that to me after my accident and damn if it didn't come in like clockwork.  So, don't settle on medical period.  Especially these days now that our personal health insurance is picking and choosing who they insure.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline model maker

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2010 - 02:44:26 AM »
Sorry to hear what happened ! Listen to what people are telling you in regards to MEDICAL, The insurance company doe NOT care about you and you need to PROTECT YOURSELF.  The insurance company is responsible for the BAD driving habits of their clients financially. Your medical condition can show up after you settled and the insurance co. would say TOUGH LUCK, GET LOST :violin: Don't settle on medical, and make sure YOUR CAR IS MADE WHOLE AGAIN with correct parts and workmanship. You should really try & see if you can get information on the other drivers driving record, see if this is common place for her. maybe text messaging while driving, careless driving etc. It may come in handy down the road as they say. I hope everything works out CORRECTLY for you, by the way, what if anything, did the lady that hit you say ? what kind of attitude did she have ?
Bert

Offline DetMatt1

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2010 - 07:05:49 AM »
I am glad to hear things are going relatively well for you, I know there is still a lot "up in the air", but try to keep the pos. attitude. It sounds like it will all work out, but it still sucks!.

Offline sprecks

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2010 - 07:33:31 AM »
by the way, what if anything, did the lady that hit you say ? what kind of attitude did she have ?
Bert
The lady that hit me was very remorseful. She was totally upset and admitted guilt to me and the police. I had to keep telling her that everything was going to be alright. I'm really glad her and her kids were alright. I'm confident the car will be fixed. You can't replace the kids. As upset as I was about my pride and joy being trashed, I actually felt sorry for the gal that hit me.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2010 - 08:53:48 AM »
I'm not actually dealing with my own insurance company. This is the insurance company of the gal that hit me. Her company is called American Family Insurance

You still need to notify your insurance company, to often the the other company wont be cooperative & your company can cover you and will subrigate to recover the loss.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010 - 09:18:40 AM »
The lady that hit me was very remorseful. She was totally upset and admitted guilt to me and the police. I had to keep telling her that everything was going to be alright. I'm really glad her and her kids were alright. I'm confident the car will be fixed. You can't replace the kids. As upset as I was about my pride and joy being trashed, I actually felt sorry for the gal that hit me.

That's a really good attitude you have given what has happened.  :thumbsup:  Cars can be fixed/replaced, people can't.  Real sorry that the accident happened.  Unfortunately there are so many road hazzards and bad drivers out there.  I'm sure your car will be made to look sweet again.  :grinyes: 

Remember, she hit you and you have the right to make your car as perfect as it was before.  Also, take all the medical check ups offered to you can now because you never know what may show up later related to the accident.

Hope all works out well for you.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline twist

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010 - 09:48:04 AM »
Unfortunately there are so many road hazzards and bad drivers out there.

Road hazzards and bad drivers in Massachusetts?? Phil, I have never seen either of those - lol
Besides the "cone state police" would have the road hazzards blocked off for miles in either direction!
Mike (in western mass)
70 Challenger R/T SE
68 Charger RT
68 Dart GT Convertible

Offline sprecks

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010 - 10:06:06 AM »
You still need to notify your insurance company, to often the the other company wont be cooperative & your company can cover you and will subrigate to recover the loss.
Thanks for the advice. I contacted my insurance company the same day as the accident and have talked to them a couple of times since. Appreciate everyone's input.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010 - 06:05:53 PM »
Sprecks sorry for your loss , It would be wise not to mention the vin and or give out to much information this site has numbers munchers that will retain this information ,and if you ever sell the car it could be used to beat you down mainly at an auction .
My point is when you settle with the ins co go for a lost value compensation some times a loss doesnt show its ugly head till you sell. again sorry GB .
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline RB2929

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010 - 08:29:25 PM »
Sprecks-
Sorry about the accident - glad to hear that you'll be ok.

The damage looks like a lot of work for the repair/resto shop.
Like others here, please keep us advised as to the insurance turnout.  Evertime I take my car out, I worry about all those idiots out there.

I'm surprised that an insurance company will fund the corrective measures.  My first thought was that they would say: It's a 40-year old car, here's 2-grand.

Good luck with the Doc and insurance
Ron

Offline thenuke1

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010 - 08:19:34 AM »
i may be a little late on this BUT ...

what you want to do (or should have done ....) find a lawyer .... they love rear end cases ... tell them your hurt ... (i noticed you mentioned you had soars but MAYBE that was during the day of the accident and NOW your in pain ....) they will get you therapy which gives you "pain and suffering damages" could be worth anywhere from $1,000 - $3,000
(OO{+++++++}I{+++DODGE}OO)
     o                               o 
71 Challenger

If its got BOOBS or an ENGINE, your gonna have problems.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010 - 08:40:18 AM »
I'm sure America is the same as Australia in these type of accidents, I won't go near my company when it is not my fault and the other person is insured, they can screw you as they do work together to keep their costs down. I managed a panel shop in my last job and saw first hand what I only suspected went on. Handle the claim yourself.
Once the car is stripped down it will be assessed for any hidden damage, make sure you get to the panel shop and get as many pictures of the stripped down car for your own record. Talk with the owner/manager and see if he will let you take progress pictures as well, the panel shops here in Australia take progress pictures and I am sure it would be done that way in America but the panel shop may not be allowed to give their pictures to you. You will find the panel shop will be on your side because it is in their own interests not having to deal with inter-insurance claims so they will do the right thing by you.   :bigsmile:
Get that back checked out and re-checked, as mentioned back problems can show up years later if not fixed early.   :cheers:
Dave

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010 - 10:40:14 AM »
im glad everyone is doing alright i know what your going through right now im still waiting to get my challenger back from the body shop...................keep your head up

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010 - 10:49:09 AM »
I see a lawyer in your future. I hate to say it but her ins co is going to do all they can to total your car and not want to give you much for it. What ever you do DO NOT SIGN ANY MEDICAL RELEASES NOW. Your claim is good for 7 years. At least that is what it's here in ND. If they say they need you to sign one to fix your car then get ahold of a lawyer. Talk to Crazy Pete on here. He just went through this on his T/A a year ago.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010 - 01:43:26 PM »
I see a lawyer in your future. I hate to say it but her ins co is going to do all they can to total your car and not want to give you much for it. What ever you do DO NOT SIGN ANY MEDICAL RELEASES NOW. Your claim is good for 7 years. At least that is what it's here in ND. If they say they need you to sign one to fix your car then get ahold of a lawyer. Talk to Crazy Pete on here. He just went through this on his T/A a year ago.
As much as I hate to say it, I tend to agree here.....

The insurance company;s goal is going to be to spend as little as possible.....

Did you have your car appraised by chance after the restoration?  do you at least have a  record and receipts of all the money and labor (INCLUDING YOURS)? 

They will probably balk at the total bill, which to do it right I am sure will be hefty.   They will not look at it as a sweet classic piece of history but as a 40 year old car.   

Yeah, the lady feels real bad right now...as she should.

But once all the adrenaline and shock wear off a few weeks into it, and the money figures start popping up, people start looking out for themselves.

I hate to say it but you really should discuss the case with an attorney...not an ambulance chaser looking to screw the other party over, but a decent one who will work to make this right.

I hope you luck out and are dealing with an insurance company who wont try and screw ya.  I have never had to file a claim for a classic vehicle so I may be talking out of my butt....LOL

I guess all I am saying is cover all your bases to prove the car's prior worth before this happened.