Author Topic: balancer install  (Read 1395 times)

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
balancer install
« on: May 02, 2010 - 10:29:33 AM »
puttin the balancer back on the 318.... put it on about 1/4" away from timing tab is this correct?

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: balancer install
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 - 10:47:37 AM »
You should be able to use the bolt or an installer to finish drawing the balancer on. Tighten it up until it doesn't go on any farther. The bolt washer will keep it from going on too far.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010 - 03:50:20 PM »
If using a breaker bar to tighten the bolt you need to stop the crank from turning to get the bolt tight enough.

I use a chain warp around the frame and use a harden bolt in the damper pulley hole to attach the chain. Works great--I use it both for removal and install.

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010 - 10:40:22 AM »
If using a breaker bar to tighten the bolt you need to stop the crank from turning to get the bolt tight enough.

I use a chain warp around the frame and use a harden bolt in the damper pulley hole to attach the chain. Works great--I use it both for removal and install.

I use a block of timber between the crank and the block before the sump goes on.
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010 - 10:46:22 AM »
Sometimes if it gets to hard to turn the bolt it could mean that the key  came out of the slot.This happened to me.

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010 - 11:14:06 AM »
The reason why you should use an installer is this: If you use the bolt, the threads "could" strip on the bolt "or" the crank.....  The installer tool would only strip the threads on the tool itself...

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010 - 02:42:23 AM »
You should be able to use the bolt or an installer to finish drawing the balancer on. Tighten it up until it doesn't go on any farther. The bolt washer will keep it from going on too far.

Just curious about the bolt washer.  My balancer and crank and is all jacked up.  My bolt has been ground shorter for some reason. The crank end is also munged up.   When I tighten it down it comes very close to hitting the timing tab.

My question is how does the washer affect the depth the balancer goes on does it not stop because there is a lip inside the balancer?

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010 - 08:16:30 AM »
Nope, it will stop when the large washer hits the snout of the crank.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010 - 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks so is there a washer inside the hole, or does the hole go all the way through? 

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010 - 11:40:21 AM »
I dont think that's right. The balancer will go on until it hits the oil slinger or crank timing gear I think. It should not be flush to the snout. I use an installer for them.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010 - 09:53:23 PM »
   Yup, moper is right. I was wrong ( my bad). The balancer will bottom out on the slinger or snout. But the washer is huge so you cant push the washer into the crank. If the threads on the bolt are a little bit shorter that shouldn't be a problem. Your maximum clamping load is 1-1/2 times the diameter of the bolt. For example ,if you use a 1/2 inch bolt to hold something in place then your maximum clamping pressure is reached when 3/4 inch of threads are engaged. Hope this helps.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010 - 02:49:03 AM »
Thanks Andy thats exactly what I thought and the way mine is.   I am building a 340 but I keep thinking I should set this right in the meantime. 

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010 - 02:47:10 AM »
 ???
I was under the impression that the balancer was TORQUED down to 135ft/lb.  At least that is what the manual says. 
Mike

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010 - 02:52:15 AM »
OOOPS!   I may have spoke too soon.  I'm rebuilding a 383, not a 318.  Is the balancer on a 318 set up differently?
Mike

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010 - 09:33:20 AM »
Same way, but remember, the torque is used as a safety measure to hold the balancer on. Don't use that value to install the balancer.

Andy  (phukker whither)