Author Topic: Please help with brake issues  (Read 1395 times)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Please help with brake issues
« on: May 02, 2010 - 03:55:48 PM »
Here's what I have:
10 inch drums, non-power assist. Lots of lining on the shoes. NO leaky wheel cylinders. Master cylinder is full and no loss of brake fluid.

Here's what's happening:
If I have to stop suddenly, the pedal goes real low and the brake light comes on, BUT if I give the pedal even just one pump it doesn't go low and the car stops decently. Also, once stopped, the pedal stays there. It doesn't creep down while I'm sitting there and giving it pressure.

What could be wrong? I've adjusted the front brakes so that there's just a bit of resistance to free wheeling when I spin the tires. Should I adjust them further? More questions. Can the rear brakes be adjusted the same way as the fronts? How do you tell if there's some spinning resistance what with gears and the Sure Grip holdin it back?

Thanks for any replies. Oh, before it's suggested, a disk brake conversion is not happening any time soon. 
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Please help with brake issues
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 - 05:14:34 PM »
John,

Back in the day I had a 74 Dart that acted the same way. I would give it a quick pump, then I would be fine stopping. The pedal was hard after that initial pump. I thought it was the brake system not being bled properly, but back then I wasn't capable of such a task, so I lived with it. Have you checked if there is air in the lines?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010 - 05:55:07 PM »
Thanks Mike. They say there's no dumb questions, but these sure sounds dumb. How do I check for air in the lines? Is re-bleeding the way to find out? I'm still curious about adjusting rear brakes too.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010 - 06:30:54 PM »
Yeah John,

I was thinking about re-bleeding.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010 - 06:54:36 PM »
sounds like it needs rebleeding for sure
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010 - 07:46:40 PM »
The (manual) brake pedal in my Challenger was the exact same way, quick pump and rock hard after. After the disc swap and tons of bleeding.......same thing :banghead:

Offline tman

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010 - 08:20:34 PM »
How old is master cylinder?  Sounds like the beginning of the master cylinder failing, internal leak between seals.  You can rebuild it or just get a new one. 

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010 - 08:49:46 PM »
Usually you can feel the resistance on the brake drum.  Other possibility is to over adjust the rear shoes, then back off the adjuster a coupla clicks.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010 - 09:25:31 PM »
John, have you done any thing like new lines/wheel cyls??? My buddy had a wierd prob on his RT/SE and it was  due to unmatched parts. Degree angle wise that is....  Other than that bleedem' my friend!  :bigsmile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010 - 01:07:02 AM »
it could be it needs to be adjusted again , often if a second pump bring the pedal up the adjustment is off

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010 - 02:06:04 AM »
 :iagree: if it still goes to the floor and you dont have a fluid leak replace the master cylinder
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010 - 04:36:54 PM »
John, have you done any thing like new lines/wheel cyls?
New wheel cylinders installed last spring and after that the brakes were great. No need to pump and high pedal.

Maybe I should have mentioned that this all started happening last September when I had to come to an emergency immediate stop from 50mph because someone 2 cars ahead of me didn't know how to merge onto a highway.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My plan of attack will be: 1st to re-adjust the fronts and try my best on the rears. I think if I disconnect the drive shaft there may be a better feel at the rears. Next would be re-bleeding and if those fail then a new master (it is pretty old).
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010 - 04:41:04 AM »
:iagree: if it still goes to the floor and you dont have a fluid leak replace the master cylinder

I also agree it sounds like it could be a seal is going bad in the M/C.  Once it seals the pressure holds it out against the bore so it seals fine then and doesn't creep down.  A clue is they sometimes do it worse when they are cold so if it seems to get better after driving for a while then probably it's a seal.
'72 'cuda

Offline tman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010 - 05:25:29 AM »
After your note that the m/c is "old", that is most likely the problem.  The next thing is to check rubber brake lines.  When they get real old, they expand like a rubber hose that is about to burst under pressure.  The hose itself is failing if that is happening.  Don't cut corners, it is your life and car you are saving.  M/C and hoses are cheap insurance and not that expensive.   

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010 - 09:12:01 PM »
My vote is master cylinder too.  I've had a couple go out in the Roadrunner through the years and the first sign of failure was this type of behavior.  It's cheap insurance just to go ahead and replace it because I came very close to rolling through a busy intersection years ago when I didn't immediately replace mine after it went to the floor the day before.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black