Author Topic: additives for cleaning valve deposits  (Read 9155 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
additives for cleaning valve deposits
« on: May 05, 2010 - 09:39:27 PM »
How do you guys stand on using fuel treatments for cleaing valve deposits?

During my little "rag-in-the-cylinder" ordeal I saw some deposits on the valves....I know some is normal.

I have heard folks using seafoam in the gas....I have used it in my bike  but never a car .

I run a bottle of lead substitute every other tank of gas (and I basically fill up when it hits half a tank) but no other additives/cleaners yet....   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010 - 12:41:02 PM by shadango »

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: additives for cleaning vlve deposits
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010 - 09:55:41 PM »
Seafoam is an exceptional product. Helps keep things clean. You can also try misting water into the carb at a bit higher than idle rpm. You may have to flutter the throttle tyo keep it running.     but it works great steam cleaning the valves. I know it sounds weird, but it works. :cheers:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010 - 11:50:31 PM »
Seafoam is an exceptional product. Helps keep things clean. You can also try misting water into the carb at a bit higher than idle rpm. You may have to flutter the throttle tyo keep it running.     but it works great steam cleaning the valves. I know it sounds weird, but it works. :cheers:

HA!
I use the water spritzer on my dirtbikes, like you said, it sounds crazy but it works!

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: additives for cleaning valve deposits
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010 - 12:42:40 PM »
Apparantly some folks srapy or pour seafoam into the carb too?

:22yikes:  So spraying water into the carb wont cause issues?  How heavy a spray do you need to be effective but not kill the motor?

Offline usraptr

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010 - 02:14:51 PM »
Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (Not Pro-Guard)  Works great!! :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010 - 02:40:21 PM »
Apparantly some folks srapy or pour seafoam into the carb too?

My Uncle dumps sea foam in his carb till it stalls for winter storeage.
He swears by that stuff.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010 - 03:30:09 PM »
My Uncle dumps sea foam in his carb till it stalls for winter storeage.
He swears by that stuff.

I have heard of that too. I think it's called smogging the engine.    :dunno:

So back to this water spritzer idea... A couple of sprays, or is this something you have to do for several minutes? All I can think of is it must really make the engine angry.    :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010 - 04:33:35 PM »
I've heard of the engine spritzing thing too but how does it work?  :dunno:

The deposits are on top of the valve so theoretically it doesn't really steam clean the valves unless it's the side of the valve facing the combustion chamber? (The face of the valve.)  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010 - 05:10:50 PM »
Well, the water would be hitting the back of the valves just like a fuel additive would...the valves will be hot, so the water would boil into steam...

I get how it might work...

But man, dumping water into an engine freaks me out...just a little. LOL :22yikes:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010 - 05:17:34 PM »
I`m sure it will work better than shop towels....  :aarg:  :poopoke:  :roflsmiley:
*** Bart ***

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010 - 06:38:40 PM »
Water works like a steam cleaner...I usually use a vacuum hose off the carb and restrict the end that goes into the water container down to a small jet size to prevent stalling the engine.  Get the engine fully warmed up so things are nice and hot, set the engine to about 1500 rpm, and suck water in thru the hose for about five minutes.  It will crack some of the carbon off and clean stuff up in the ports and combustion chamber...but, it will not work miracles on something that has a half inch clod of hard carbon/gunk on it.  Choke the hose down so that the ingested water does not kill the engine.

Better is something like top engine cleaner that you dribble into the carb at fast idle, and then pour the last part of the can or bottle so that the engine dies and let it set for a bit.  The downside is the tremendous smoke cloud that comes out the tail pipes.  SeaFoam, GM Top Engine Cleaner, and others are designed for this.  I always put new plugs in afterward

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010 - 07:40:54 PM »
I`m sure it will work better than shop towels....  :aarg:  :poopoke:  :roflsmiley:

............................. :sadwavey:  yeah, I deserved that......

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010 - 01:59:06 AM »
I have used water to clean up an engine, the engine must be over 1500 rpm and you can raise the rpm by hand especially if the motor starts to splutter. Only use a spray of water, not pouring water straight down, after run the motor for at least 10 mins to make sure that no residual water is sitting anywhere. I have changed the oil after doing this also just in case any moisture found its way past the rings.
Aim the exhaust away from anything that doesn't like carbon spray.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010 - 10:36:21 AM »
Water works like a steam cleaner...I usually use a vacuum hose off the carb and restrict the end that goes into the water container down to a small jet size to prevent stalling the engine.  Get the engine fully warmed up so things are nice and hot, set the engine to about 1500 rpm, and suck water in thru the hose for about five minutes.  It will crack some of the carbon off and clean stuff up in the ports and combustion chamber...but, it will not work miracles on something that has a half inch clod of hard carbon/gunk on it.  Choke the hose down so that the ingested water does not kill the engine.

Better is something like top engine cleaner that you dribble into the carb at fast idle, and then pour the last part of the can or bottle so that the engine dies and let it set for a bit.  The downside is the tremendous smoke cloud that comes out the tail pipes.  SeaFoam, GM Top Engine Cleaner, and others are designed for this.  I always put new plugs in afterward

Thanks for the explination guys!  :thumbsup:  Now I get it!

That engine cleaner is like what we used to use at the dealership on '91 Acura legends that had carbon buildup on the rings.  You yank of a vacuum hose and let the engine drink the can of engine cleaner then shut it down as the can is finished.  Let it set for a bit then start it up and run it.  The cool think is the giant plume of black smoke coming out the tailpipe like a smoke screen.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010 - 11:26:41 AM »

Spray.... he11 I've literally poured! A splash at a time, just keep the "r's" up! Works real good, you'd be surprised what blows out the tailpipe!  :bigsmile:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl