My Suspension Changes (Long)

Author Topic: My Suspension Changes (Long)  (Read 11819 times)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: My Suspension Changes (Long)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010 - 11:12:00 AM »
The Magnum Force racing connectors have a bend in them that keeps them hugging the floor, and even have a bolt on plate that sandwiches the floor pans behind the front seats adding rigidity to the whole floor.  I am not sure how they perform compared to the other types, but they seemed to work wonders on the feel of my car.
  http://www.magnumforceracing.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=3035&CategoryID=19&BrandID=&Category=&SubCategory=&Search=&Page=

Where does the plate mount?  Looks like it might use the existing seat mount?

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010 - 02:21:42 PM »
Where does the plate mount?  Looks like it might use the existing seat mount?
You have to drill 2 holes in the floorpan and sandwich the floor with a top plate and the lower tabs.  It can't use the seat mounting studs because there are reinforcing brackets already under those areas.
** Shane **

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010 - 03:35:34 PM »
I'd like to see your "rake" (not to mention your ride) sometime Shane. I have the XHD's and I like my rake, maybe I'm just lucky as my buddy's XHD's did not seem to have the same arch.
This picture was taken after the Espo springs, but before the 1" torsion bars.  The front is now about 1"-1.5 " lower and I will be dropping the back a similar amount.  I initially liked the XHD springs, but when they sagged, it was disappointing and I swapped them out.
** Shane **

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010 - 04:21:48 AM »
With the stock upper control arms, I was able to get almost 4* caster at 0 camber.  I have a set of Moog Offset upper control arm bushings that I might install to get even more.

I wouldn't bother. But if you want to add a little camber like .25 or .5 negative you will loose the max caster you can get. 

Modern 17” wheels and tires would make a big improvement too, but I don’t want to ruin the stock look of the car.  If I had to pick just a few items from my list, I would do the frame connectors, the front sway bar and the Firm Feel steering box first, but skip the fast ratio idler arm.  Next would be the 1” torsion bars and shocks and the rear bar.  Unless I was going to run the car really hard I would consider the brakes optional because I didn’t really consider the stock set up that bad.

Seems real similar to the results I've found on my 68 Barracuda. I don't have Fast Ratio steering gear as they don't fit A-bodies too well. But on a street cruiser I don't see it beeing a big gain. The steering box and other suspension mods add to the responsiveness of the car.

I'm going to add Hotchkis sub frame connectors and some Hotchkis RCD shocks soon. Excited to feel the results.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010 - 02:13:54 AM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
P.S. Buy Moog Suspension Parts or do it twice
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010 - 09:30:50 PM »
Just as a side note, the suspension had been done with Moog ball joints, and poly bushings except for the brand new cheap part store tie rod ends.  3200 miles later, there was noticeable wear on two of the cheap tie rod ends, but the Moog parts are solid as a rock.  This time the tie rod ends are Moog (11/16") and the adjusters are from Mancini.  Do it right- do it once, :2cents:
** Shane **

Offline challydust

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010 - 04:17:19 PM »
shane may i ask how u got over 2 degrees on ur adjustment on a stock set up?  i just had my car ligned today..and the guy been doin it his whole life and does all kinda mopars, high end stuff too...mopar nats winners...and says he can never get more than 2 degrees with stock set up....aware of the moog kit u can get more with that...but stock...never been able to get near 4 or 5 degrees....im interested about all this.....he could even get mine to move honestly.....he set the toe and i go..lol.....ill have to replace the bushings i guess to get it 100%, and maybe the moog kit???? 

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010 - 04:50:17 PM »
shane may i ask how u got over 2 degrees on ur adjustment on a stock set up?  i just had my car ligned today..and the guy been doin it his whole life and does all kinda mopars, high end stuff too...mopar nats winners...and says he can never get more than 2 degrees with stock set up....aware of the moog kit u can get more with that...but stock...never been able to get near 4 or 5 degrees....im interested about all this.....he could even get mine to move honestly.....he set the toe and i go..lol.....ill have to replace the bushings i guess to get it 100%, and maybe the moog kit????

I wish I knew, but to be honest both myself and my alignment guy were surprised especially since the torsion bar adjusters are set pretty low.  I was all set to put in the offset bushings once I got an alignment baseline.  I was trying to capture as much before-after modification info as I could.  I still might put them in and realign the car after I lower the rear a bit and get the stance just right.
** Shane **

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010 - 06:04:02 PM »
I'm looking into the subframe connectors a little more, what about the e-brake cable routing.  When I look under my car, it looks like there might be an interference issue?

Offline RB2929

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010 - 08:26:50 PM »
FJ5 440 (Shane)-
Impressive job on your front end rebuild.  And thank you for taking the scientific approach of testing each mod.  We'll be using your inputs for quite some time.

This summer is my B'Cuda front suspension rebuild project.  I have a box full of Moog parts.  I'm researching the rest of the components.
You ordered the T-Bars from Just Suspension, which, based upon comparing vendors, is a good choice - more bang for the buck.

Looking at Just suspension's web site, 1.00" T-bars for $180, plus a 5% discount using "GOOG5"

Here's the question (you knew one was coming) what did you do for the dust boots and rings?
I didn't see them listed at Just Suspension.

Thanks for your assistance,
Ron

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010 - 08:49:27 PM »
I'm looking into the subframe connectors a little more, what about the e-brake cable routing.  When I look under my car, it looks like there might be an interference issue?

The E brake cable goes between the connectors and the floor.  It is close, but works well and hasn't rattled or anything.
** Shane **

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010 - 08:53:33 PM »
Here's the question (you knew one was coming) what did you do for the dust boots and rings?
I didn't see them listed at Just Suspension.

Thanks for your assistance,
Ron
The .920 bars I replaced had been installed only 3200 miles ago with new boots and rings from Mancini, so I reused the boots and rings.
** Shane **

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010 - 02:49:02 PM »
I just thought I would update this thread after putting some miles on the car with the new suspension stuff.  I have been very satisfied with everything I have done so far.  The only thing I would change would be to skip the fast ratio pitman and idler arms.  In my opinion, they just did not add enough value to the package to overcome the cost, and the fact that they will now let the tire rub the frame rails when full lock turning. 

The steering has become a little less stiff than it was initially with the Firm Feel stage 3 box, and I am very happy that I did the stage 3. 

It rides and handles like a completely different car now.  My wife used to refuse to drive it because it “felt too big” and rode too harsh over bumps in the road.  Now she is threatening to drive it to work on days I am not using it.  I never would have imagined that going to bigger torsion bars and bigger sway bars would work so well with the Bilstein shocks that the car would actually ride smoother while handling so much better. 

I still don’t notice the big brake upgrade, but that may be only because I haven’t needed them in an emergency.  We now use the car just about every weekend, and even for little stuff like grocery runs, so be prepared to put many more mile on the car if you do these upgrades.
** Shane **

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010 - 03:28:15 PM »
Shane, thanks for the update. good food for thought!  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010 - 04:07:47 PM »
Shane, thanks for the update. good food for thought!  :thumbsup:

Did you get to test out your Firm Feel steering box yet?  I think you will love it.  Let me know if you will be attending any local cruises so I can check out that big old Hemi first hand.  I almost feel guilty driving around enjoying myself while you have been laying under your car messing with your dipstick!! (I don't think that came out right.) :bigsmile:
** Shane **

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010 - 06:21:07 PM »
I have done a test drive, got the alignment done last nite. It really is a 'different ' feel, I'm still working out some related issues w my p/s pulley (the (never ending)story) is in my steering gear post. So I dont want to make any opinions on it yet but I like what I've experienced so far. NIKKI will be at the Holz Chevy show sometime on the 4th of July. I'm not one to go to a show at 8AM and camp all day! And Lyons fest in South Milw a few weeks later. Hopefully everything will be worked out by then. I'm also waiting on Kim from passion to finish up a wiper motor for me. So if you see NIKKI I'm around there someplace... Find me!  :2thumbs:     
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl