Author Topic: Best security systems?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline willhaven

Best security systems?
« on: May 11, 2010 - 07:35:00 PM »
Ok, my car is nearly done and I'm researching some security systems.

1) First and foremost, there is the old standby "woo woo" alarm system.

2) I definitely want one of the GPS services that notifies you when your car has been disabled or moved. This also involves a hidden battery to make sure it keeps power if the thief disconnects your main battery. Not sure who makes the best system. Even having something notify me if my alarm goes off VS battery disconnect VS being moved without being disarmed would be great.

3) I've also seen the Ravelco system with the multi-pin plug. It's a small 1.5" disc that hangs out on your key ring and you disconnect it from your key ring and plug it into this socket. All the wires are black and in a metal sheath. All the plugs are different with many thousands of possible combos.

4) Similarly to the Ravelco I could install a hidden switch somewhere that immobilizes the car. Disconnect ignition wires? Block the fuel line? Lock the brakes?

5) I've seen Master locks that go on your disc brake to stop your car from rolling.

6) Grant makes a steering wheel disconnect/lock system, but you have to take your wheel with you.

1, 2 and 3 or 4 seem like easy passive everyday things you can do without thinking about it. 5 and 6 are more involved and would probably be done when storing the vehicle.

Anyone have experience with these? Any other ideas?

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: Best security systems?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010 - 09:43:24 AM »
An AR-15 rifle is a nice add-on to whatever system you decide on!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010 - 12:29:30 PM »
Heh, at home I'm going to get a camera/alarm system and I'll park any unused vehicle on the other side of the garage door.

I keep hearing about hood locks, but I only have a fiberglass hood to begin with.

Putting the main battery in the locked trunk probably isn't a bad idea either.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010 - 08:10:33 AM »
I was contemplating a system too......

I have learned that pretty much anything just keeps the honest people honest and will only slow down a thief a bit....if they want it they will get it.

Remote battery alarms are neat, but a lot of wiring, wouldnt it be?

The removable sterring wheel is a neat idea too, but then the thief can just flat bed it away.

For now I have a couple of the usual tactics....will at least keep the joy riders away I hope.....and decent insurance coverage "just in case" though it would break my heart.

I recently had, of all things, a motorcycle helmet stolen off my bike.....it was cable-locked to the bike.

Someone cut the cable to get it.

A 4 year old helmet, far from being new.

If someone will do that for an old helmet, what do you think someone will do to get a gorgeous classic car if they want it?

I think most of the "anti theft devices" these days are more or less for peace of mind of the owner even if not fully effective.

Although the lojack system is cool....at least you have a chance at finding the car eventually.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010 - 08:50:17 AM »
There has been a couple of threads of cars stolen in the last 12 months from reasonably secure places, it appears a tow vehicle was used so making it harder to roll would be a first, then maybe a something which detects it being jacked up on an angle.   :2cents:
Dave

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 - 09:46:00 AM »
leave doors unlocked , so they won`t damage the glass. leave the keys in the ignition,  so they won`t have to thrash the lock.  Use a hidden start button and hide a BigMF trainhorn under the driverseat connected to the start-position of the ignitionlock....  :popcorn:
*** Bart ***

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010 - 02:05:28 PM »
leave doors unlocked , so they won`t damage the glass. leave the keys in the ignition,  so they won`t have to thrash the lock.  Use a hidden start button and hide a BigMF trainhorn under the driverseat connected to the start-position of the ignitionlock....  :popcorn:
I LOVE that!  :roflsmiley:

I looked a several alarms, especially the ones with LCD fobs that alert you that the car is being messed with.  They only work if you're relatively near by.

I like Dutch's idea, but if that causes someone to have "the big one", you could be found liable (in the US).
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010 - 05:04:31 PM »
Use Dutch's system and have it signal your key fob when it is triggered, then create an iPhone app to source a tree chipper from a rental place, then

I should stop watching Fargo.....

Seriously though, I think the lojack is a decent system but not all police agencies use it (per Lojack -check with your local law enforcement).
Problem on these old cars is all the ignition, key on wiring is right out in the open. I think 2 or 3 levels of security are needed.

1 - Make it so someone can't slide hammer the ignition lock cylinder and steal the car - i.e. hidden ignition wiring bypass/some other switch or relay in the circuit that needs to be activated to start the car.
2 - A locked garage or storage with a monitored alarm system
3 - Lojack or some other GPS trackable system

I'm sure there are other things that could be done- Like others have said - if someone wants your car, they are going to get it. Friends that have had their cars stolen were either pushed from the scene or dragged/flatbedded. Physically securing your car to an immovable object could help but seems silly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 - 05:23:05 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010 - 05:51:54 PM »
Just get a trunk monkey.  :roflsmiley:

Seriously though I would go with something that was silent and notified you when your car is being messed with (i.e. moving, doors, trunk, hood, being opened, windows breaking, tilted like being loaded on a flatbed or tow truck), that way you can get to the car and catch them in the act. I would also install either a fuel or ignition cutoff system and of course a hidden GPS tracker. And of course all of this would be on its own power source and all completely hidden. Having an AR-15 wouldn't hurt either, for me its a Desert Eagle .44 magnum.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010 - 06:41:54 PM »
I once saw an interview with a known, REALLY good car thief and was asked "What's the number one thing I can do to keep you from getting my car in under 30 seconds?"

Reply: "Don't buy one"....

The best security System I've ever seen for these type cars is the stock wiring system...Don't worry, about 30 min. into the theif's exit, he'll be sorry he stole an older Mopar....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 - 06:44:07 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010 - 09:14:19 AM »
Just get a trunk monkey.  :roflsmiley:

Seriously though I would go with something that was silent and notified you when your car is being messed with (i.e. moving, doors, trunk, hood, being opened, windows breaking, tilted like being loaded on a flatbed or tow truck), that way you can get to the car and catch them in the act. I would also install either a fuel or ignition cutoff system and of course a hidden GPS tracker. And of course all of this would be on its own power source and all completely hidden. Having an AR-15 wouldn't hurt either, for me its a Desert Eagle .44 magnum.

A car theif can usually be gone with your car in under five minutes so unless you are really close by a notification will do you no good.Also an AR15,.44 mag or any other weapon will only do good if you are standing guard over it 24/7/365.A good kill switch, battery shutoff or fuel shutoff where they ca`nt access it will keep them from driving off and a GPS locator may help recover it if it`s towed away.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline someone972

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010 - 10:14:29 AM »
In regards to the tilt sensor mentioned earlier, there are mercury switches that will detect when you're car changes its tilt (like when someone's trying to get it on a truck without you knowing). There are also systems that detect the sound of breaking glass which you can install, but many cars already go off when a window breaks. The backup battery is a good idea too.

By the way, I'm not trying to sound like an expert, this is just stuff I found online.  ;)

Offline ericindc

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010 - 10:37:09 AM »

I'm a big fan of kill switches.  Ignition, or fuel.  A professional thief with a flatbed probably isnt going to have any problems, but where I live, the majority of cars are stolen by kids, or "non-professionals".  There are numerous stories of theives in DC giving up cause of a push button start, or even a standard transmission.  Your best bet outside of a security system is to have stated value insurance so you can get what you think its worth if it is stolen.
1974 Challenger, 440, auto, 17s
1983 Jeep CJ7, Chevy 350, auto, 32" tires, 2.5" lift

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010 - 11:23:55 AM »
A car theif can usually be gone with your car in under five minutes so unless you are really close by a notification will do you no good.Also an AR15,.44 mag or any other weapon will only do good if you are standing guard over it 24/7/365.A good kill switch, battery shutoff or fuel shutoff where they ca`nt access it will keep them from driving off and a GPS locator may help recover it if it`s towed away.

If it takes a car thief 5 minutes, 95% of the time that is more than enough time for me to get out there. If it happens at home I have another car that I can chase after them if they do happen to get the car moving before I get out there (highly unlikely though as I can walk to the car in under a minute). At the end of the day the car is insured and if somebody wants it that bad go for it, just don't expect me to make it easy on them.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline willhaven

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010 - 12:11:22 PM »
I'm a big fan of kill switches.  Ignition, or fuel.  A professional thief with a flatbed probably isnt going to have any problems, but where I live, the majority of cars are stolen by kids, or "non-professionals".  There are numerous stories of theives in DC giving up cause of a push button start, or even a standard transmission.  Your best bet outside of a security system is to have stated value insurance so you can get what you think its worth if it is stolen.
Oh, great insurance is a no-brainer. But still, I've waited so long and went through so much for this car that I couldn't simply buy it again. Even covered for more than it's worth, it'd be more waiting and they don't reimburse you for time and patience.

The kill switches all sound well and good, but that's essentially what the Ravelco does. Takes a bunch of electrical components and obfuscates where they're coming from and where they're going. Basically meaning you can't figure out how to start the car.

Do these things have locking steering columns? I also read that, when parked, it's smart to turn your wheel all the way to one side and lock it so it's harder to tow away. Is it easy to break the column and undo this?