'72 Cuda - Largest rear tire/wheel combo

Author Topic: '72 Cuda - Largest rear tire/wheel combo  (Read 8368 times)

Offline neifvneiurv

'72 Cuda - Largest rear tire/wheel combo
« on: October 12, 2004 - 05:54:31 PM »
Just purchased a '72 Cuda, BS-code, now with a stout 440.  Traction IS a problem!  I want to fit the largest rear tire/wheel combo I can in back (using Weld ProStars and BFG Drag Radials).  I WILL NOT tub, cut, bend, or otherwise alter any body panels (including rolling the lips), and I don't want them to rub.  Can anyone help?  Please, I am looking for suggestions based on actual experience.

Thx, Kevin

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: '72 Cuda - Largest rear tire/wheel combo
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004 - 07:10:30 PM »
Hey Kevin . . .welcome to cc.com!!  Great place here for all MOPAR lovers!!  I'm sure someone will have the info for you about the tires!  I know quite a few members have been toying with wheel clearance and will be happy to tell ya what they have learned!!  Got any pics of your ride!!  We love them pics!!   ;D    ;D    ;D

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004 - 07:39:00 PM »
try this section

Suspension, Wheels/Tires, and Brakes

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/smf/index.php?topic=5186.0

1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004 - 11:23:14 PM »
The biggest you will get on the drag radials is the 275/50/15's on 10 inch rim with 5 inches of backspace...

I have convo pros 8.5 inch with 5 inches of backspace on stock e body rear with no 3/4 relo kit MT ET Streets 28*12.50*15......and the tire just touches the springs....however i am putting in a 3/4 relo kit.....I like the tucked look
the Biggest tire with no relo kit would be the 28*11.50*15 MT.....

Also I will be putting in the B Body rear wich is 3/4 inch shorter on each side to get a 10 inch rim in there....

[attachment deleted by admin]

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004 - 11:23:35 PM »

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004 - 11:24:17 PM »

Offline neifvneiurv

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004 - 08:08:42 AM »
Thx guys.  Hey 8Pack, could you have gone another 1/2" on the backspacing (for a total of 5-1/2") and then cleared both lip and spring...using the 28x12.5, but without using a relo. kit?  Just wondering.

Kevin

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004 - 04:17:28 PM »
NO! 5.5 backspace would have taken me even closer to the spring.....
here is a pic of 275/60/15 on 8 inch rim with 4 inch backspace....

Offline KoolmanDude

• The Best of both worlds!!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004 - 02:28:40 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread....

But I had a question of my own...

I have a 70 Cuda with the 3 inch relo kit...

Currently running 285/40/17 tires on 9.5inch wheels with 6.5 BS....Have plenty of space...

My question is...Can I fit the ET Streets or ET Drags in 28/13.5*15 which will have a sidewall width of 13.2, thread with of 11 inches on 10 inch wheels with 7.5 BS without problems....

I know the wheel will fit...just want to be sure the tires will clear and not rub...

Or should I just go with the 28/12.5*15 to be sure?

To my calculations yes...but I want to be certain...as I cannot afford to order things and ship them over seas only to have them wrong and having to ship them back over....costs a hell of lot of money!!

Any help wll be greatly appreciated.

Offline challenger500

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004 - 04:20:03 PM »
well,

As I would remember Chally eats at least 14" tires, I have 12.5MTs' and there's plenty of space to go. Allhtough I would need also that 3" kit in that case. Friend of mine is having a Cuda with exac 28*12.5MT's and he said it's pretty close to frame rail... I can check from him if you want.

PH, you should be quite ok with 28*11.5 ET's as well with that engine combo.

but yet again, learn by doing i.e. take the rim to the shop, put a 13.5 Et on it and try it out (if it's possible with reasonable effort)  :grinyes:
Dementia already from the year...mmmm ???

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004 - 10:19:59 PM »
Hey PH         
I have a 70 Cuda with the 3 inch relo kit

Are you sure it's a 3 inch weld in kit or the 3/4 inch bolt in kit

The 3 inch kit is not common on E-bodies because it digs into the frame alot

Offline KoolmanDude

• The Best of both worlds!!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004 - 06:19:05 AM »
Hey PH         

Are you sure it's a 3 inch weld in kit or the 3/4 inch bolt in kit

The 3 inch kit is not common on E-bodies because it digs into the frame alot

Yep pretty sure....It is the weld in kind..not the bolt in one...

Thanks for the replies...

Plum6Pak

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004 - 06:45:02 AM »
The biggest you will get on the drag radials is the 275/50/15's on 10 inch rim with 5 inches of backspace...

I have convo pros 8.5 inch with 5 inches of backspace on stock e body rear with no 3/4 relo kit MT ET Streets 28*12.50*15......and the tire just touches the springs....however i am putting in a 3/4 relo kit.....I like the tucked look
the Biggest tire with no relo kit would be the 28*11.50*15 MT.....

Also I will be putting in the B Body rear wich is 3/4 inch shorter on each side to get a 10 inch rim in there....

I am considering these same options myself and have thought about going to a B body rear too, but could'nt you just increase your backspacing in the wheel instead to get the extra width (once the springs are relocated) or do you want the deep wheel look? Is it due to being able to get the wheel and tire in between the quarter and the axle? Need to consider being able to put these on and off. How does that work? Do you have to jack the car up from the frame to get them on and off instead of from the axle? I just want to know all the angles before I go spend several hundred dollars on rear tires & wheels and relocation kit.   :dontknow:
As Challey500 suggested to go to a shop and try a few combinations, will most shops mount them up and let you see how things fit before purchasing? Glad you are all putting in such good info here, it's gonna save me a big  :spank:  butt ache later!!  :thumbs:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004 - 07:22:46 AM »
So, is the frame narrowed or notched a bit?

Got any pics?

Offline challenger500

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004 - 08:17:57 AM »
I'll jack it up from banjo so that I can remove both rims at the time. Though I'm really on the edges to get the donuts on/off, with the correct "angle etc" I can barely make it... I've e-body rear i.e. b-body rear would give you just about that 3/4 play room to throw 'em in or out, should not be a problem at all with b-rear.

I'll probably order next spring a new set of AR Torq Thrusts with 10*15 w/ 5,5" backspacing.
I dunno about tire shops in US how helpful they're to swap the donut's on and off just for trying, But hey, if you're acting at least to buys the gear from them as well, hell yea, why not to help an enthusiast  :thumbs:
At least back here our tire shops are very helpfull with guys that build these oldies  :grinyes:

BTW, monday I'll go and have a look my friends 528" stroker with Twin-turbos!!! olalaaaa!! Not that big of a fan for turbos but hey, that combo will move some iron  :guitar:  :worship: ... I'm more into Roots or hi-helix type  :grinyes:
Dementia already from the year...mmmm ???