Author Topic: Squeaky heater box  (Read 759 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Squeaky heater box
« on: May 13, 2010 - 08:16:31 AM »
I hadrebuilt my heater box with new gaskets etc last year.....so everything is fresh.

Installation was easy but I have an annoying medium-pitch squeak that happens over bumps and at certain RPMS where I have some vibration/shake.

I jammed some foam up between the box and the firewall which worked at first...but the  squeak, she is back.

Anyone else deal with this?  I checked the "j" hook hanger doohickey on the right side, and the firewall bolts/nuts around the heater motor securing the box to the wall are tight.

Am I missing a mount of some sort somewhere or is this par for the course?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Squeaky heater box
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010 - 01:28:55 AM »
definatly not right in some way

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 - 07:45:43 AM »
SO what am I missing as far as how it is suspended?  I put it back tpgether the way it came out, and it was clearly never out of the car before.....

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010 - 11:17:07 AM »
Only thing holding the Heater only box is the 3 nuts on the firewall & the J-hook through the vent opening, otherwise there should be a piece of foam around the fan motor & the board/insulation on the inside of the firewall. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Slotts

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:31:54 PM »
This is a long shot, but here goes...

Maybe the foot of the J hook was not at a 90 degree angle, bent back slightly and didn't catch the top edge of the flange opening. By tightening it down, it wedged on the inside of the flange and the metal rubbing against metal could be what is making the noise.

Slotts