Author Topic: Cleaning 90 weight gear oil off of epoxy primer  (Read 1100 times)

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
Cleaning 90 weight gear oil off of epoxy primer
« on: May 15, 2010 - 02:51:58 PM »
 After cleaning the crap off of the shelf (aka 69 Charger) I found that I had, in my massive boneheadedness, left an open container of 90 weight on the hood of the car. Needless to say, it spilled into the corner of the hood and thankfully most of it ran out of the hood signal hole.

Is there a safe way to remove all traces or do I have to take it down to metal?
The epoxy is, I think, dp-90 (without checking the can)
Thanks guys

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Cleaning 90 weight gear oil off of epoxy primer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010 - 04:26:29 PM »

How about wax and grease remover.  I would think that you could flood the corner with it, then blow it dry or wipe it up.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:44:28 PM »
After cleaning the crap off of the shelf (aka 69 Charger) I found that I had, in my massive boneheadedness, left an open container of 90 weight on the hood of the car. Needless to say, it spilled into the corner of the hood and thankfully most of it ran out of the hood signal hole.

Is there a safe way to remove all traces or do I have to take it down to metal?
The epoxy is, I think, dp-90 (without checking the can)
Thanks guys

If your current top coat is epoxy you are fine. If it's DP 90 it should be white in color. DP 90 is all I shoot. One guide coat in black over top of it - finish sand - tinted sealer before final top coat. Works every time.

Hit it with wax and grease remover BUT DO NOT APPLY MORE THAN YOU CAN WIPE CLEAN BEFORE IT DRIES, OR NO CONTAMINANTS ARE REMOVED. Change your wiping cloth regularly. Do not worry. You'll be fine.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:45:24 PM »
try wax & grease remover, carb or brake cleaner,if there is a stain still present,try scrubbing with brown scotch pad or some 400/600 grit paper, if that doesn't remove the stain,keep sanding till it's gone,you don't want any oil traces trapped under new paint
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010 - 09:12:28 PM »
Ah - but there are two types of wax and grease removers and most people think they are all the same. THEY ARE NOT. For NON SANDED surfaces I use HOK KC10 wax and grease remover. If you have not sanded the epoxy yet, use this kind first. Then I would assume that you would sand the entire car anyway eliminating ANY issues. If the epoxy has been final sanded, use KC20 POST SANDING CLEANER. This removes all the contaminants like the KC10 (standard wax and grease remover) BUT also removes sanding residue as well. Most people miss this step. SO KC10 BEFORE sanding - and KC20 for initial and final surface preparation. Standard wax and grease remover DOES NOT REMOVE ALL SANDING RESIDUE.

Todd

OMS

NYC

www.newyorkcustomauto@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010 - 09:14:09 PM by OxfordMotorSports »