Author Topic: Cardone 2 speed wiper motors.... Beware!!!  (Read 1861 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Cardone 2 speed wiper motors.... Beware!!!
« on: May 15, 2010 - 06:14:54 PM »
Hi all!  It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I've been really busy with work, getting the new car, and of course the Challenger.  My original 2 speed wiper motor finally started giving me the parking fits that are all too common.  So I headed down to the local Auto Zone and ordered a remanufactured wiper motor for $42.  It looked decent, but I was already prepared to get one or two bad ones out of the box since these cores have been recycled probably 3 or 4 time by now.  Sure enough, I plug it in and it blows the fuse instantly in the OFF position.  Low and high seem to work ok.  I ordered another one......  Exact same thing happens.  Weird.  All told, I went through THREE motors with this exact same issue.

I finally got tired of this (and the Auto Zone employees were doubting they were bad now) and decided to take the $40 warranty gamble and open it up to confirm my suspicions.  The armature, brushes, and magnet end looked great, surprisingly.  I'd already concluded that the issue was in the park switch circuit; it must be shorted.  The gearbox is sealed with 6 rivets.  I drilled them out on my original and the new box.  The issues were very obvious.  The plastic park cam and spring were not even in the new box!  On top of that, the parking brush was soldered directly to ground and not the F2 terminal!  This was causing a direct short in the OFF position.  I also discovered that the threaded end that bolts to the drive link was too big on the new box.  I didnt find that out until after my first rebuild attempt....  Hopefully, you guys can learn from my mistake! 

The existing components were good quality though.  I ended up extending and soldering the brush to the F2 terminal, swapping the old driven gear and park cam parts, and riveting it all back together.  Luckily, the motor runs flawlessly!  I ran it in with the wipers off for 30 minutes while tapping on the motor to seat the bushings and brushes.  All in all, it took maybe 30 minutes to swap everything and redo the park brush wire.  Not bad for a $40 part, but not a nice surprise either.  I figured I'd give everynone a heads up to avoid the surprise, and to know how to correct it.  I don't think anyone else sells these anymore, especially for that price.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Cardone 2 speed wiper motors.... Beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:02:02 PM »
I'm surprised to hear that about Cardone. The machine shop
I used to work at did lots of work for them (mostly brake parts) and they are VERY picky and seem to have a very good QC department, at least for machined parts.  :clueless:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline quagmire

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 - 08:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I've always had awesome luck with them too.  Not sure what happened, but it was pretty clear that the park system was omitted and wired wrong.  All three had the same problem too, and I know they weren't the same part since I marked each one I had just in case they tried to stick me with the same one again.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010 - 12:57:12 PM »
What is the "parking issue" being talked about here?

My two speed wipers dont want to go all the way down to park them when you switch the switch to off....they hang above the stainless steel molding.....it also seems like they could go "further" too to the drivers side when they wipe.

I assumed my issue was linkage adjustment or issues....  could it "just" be the motor? :clueless:

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010 - 03:25:40 PM »
What is the "parking issue" being talked about here?

My two speed wipers dont want to go all the way down to park them when you switch the switch to off....they hang above the stainless steel molding.....it also seems like they could go "further" too to the drivers side when they wipe.

I assumed my issue was linkage adjustment or issues....  could it "just" be the motor? :clueless:
Sometimes the wide chrome trim strip at the bottom of the windshield sits up off the glass and prevents the wipers from parking properly.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010 - 08:37:34 PM »
Yeah mine does, some.

Is there a trick to getting it to sit flush? Seems like it wants to be raised from the glass.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010 - 08:51:51 PM »
The motor can also prevent the wipers from parking.  There is a cam linkage that reverses the motor and parks them.  Externally, there is another cam on the 2 speeds that allows the wipers to drop more than normal when reversing.  If the wipers reverse but dont drop enough, then you are likely dealing with an external wiper cam issue.