Author Topic: So I let my boy cruise my car tonight....  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
So I let my boy cruise my car tonight....
« on: May 15, 2010 - 10:16:17 PM »
Well, He woke up bright and early this mornin' lookin' to cut the grass so maybe he wouldn't have to go to his "Real" father's house..I said maybe I let 'ya cruise the Dart (505 C.I.) to the show tonight ifn' 'ya get that yard cut in time...Well, the mower belt (Self propelled) got all kindsa' loose and he was actually pushing it to get the grass done..I was wondering why he was comin' in for water so often as it wasn't all THAT hot out..(high 70's)....Once I saw what had happened, I asked him to bring the mower over and I'd look at it..Well, the design was quite unadjustable, so I made it adjustable..Got it going, he finished the yard in time to go...

He asked me if I was serious about lettin' him drive the Dart..I said, "Well son, That's alotta car, you sure you can handle it?"(16 Y/O)..
He replied with a big grin on his face "YES!"...

Unknown to myself, as I was preparing to get Christine out, he had called all his High School Buddies and for them to "Meet" him at cruise night in "His" Dart..Well, we get there and he's cleaning, polishing chrome, waxing, etc. and I hear a guy ask "Is this one yours?" Of course, my boy said "Yes"..As the guy was looking at the car, he looked up at me and said "That ones "Mine" tonight"...I had to laugh as he had worked and earned the "Right" to call it "His" I guess...He did ok with it on the road as this was his first time out in a high HP antique car...I was pretty d@mn proud of him...I looked up from talking with another guy, and he had about four people as a "congregation". He was rattling off facts that he knew about each car, but when his buddies from school that give him such a hard time about his "Hoopty" car(1966 Plymouth), Showed up, I could'nt steal his thunder and just let him be "The man" tonight.... It was great not to be the one in the center doing the talking, and to watch the pride he had talking about "His" Dodge Dart.......
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010 - 12:05:13 AM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
Re: So I let my boy cruise my car tonight....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010 - 11:03:02 PM »
What a great story, thanks for passing it on.  I have a 14 year old son that I'm hoping will be interested in the car I'm building.  Hopefully he carries on his Dad's passion for Mopars! 

Sean

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 - 11:09:37 PM »
That is a great story! And talk about a bonding moment for you and him, all good my man all good!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010 - 11:13:45 PM »
WTG Dad     :woo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010 - 11:27:52 PM »
Great story Cooter! I'm sure he'll never forget that cruise!

I let my son take the Cuda out occasionally, he's 18 and graduating in 6 days. He used it for Homecoming, Prom and Winter Ball. The high school had a spring carnival thing last week and it included a car show out in the parking lot, so I let him take it and put it in the show. The kids voted on the cars, and he got a 3rd place trophy! The car has really bad paint, and he said the only reason the other vehicles beat him was on paint. He brought the trophy home to give to me and I told him that was his trophy. He has it sitting over his bed now! Great times!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010 - 01:44:49 AM »
Thats a really cool story. Sounds like you both had a great time   :cooldancing:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010 - 02:31:01 AM »
Way to go dad  :2thumbs: Sounds like you made his day
Dennis,Ohio

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010 - 04:26:16 AM »
Way to go dad  :2thumbs: Sounds like you made his day

:iagree:    way cool  :bigshades:
*** Bart ***

Offline cudachall74

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010 - 06:32:50 AM »
good to see.my kids love cruzin in the barracuda and the[ challenger before i started the resto]my son whos 5 said to me the other day dad we need a bigger shed when i ask him why he said to put his barracuda and challenger in :bigsmile:a couple of 68's might be the go a barracuda and a charger. :money:gotta go now and plant a couple of money trees.
74 barracuda
74 challenger

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010 - 07:49:17 AM »
 :2thumbs: Great story and a nice thing for you to do.  :2thumbs:  But REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY, ......  :useless:  :roflsmiley:  Gotta capture the moment "Dad".  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010 - 10:41:41 AM »
I can just imagine how proud he was for a night!  Good job!  :clapping:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010 - 11:22:57 AM »
Great story and I bet he will remember that day for the rest of his life. It's always nice to see a younger generation take up the classic car hobby.  What a gread dad you are!!!!   :clapping:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010 - 11:36:26 AM »
Man, that is a great story!  I hope to be able to tell a story like that about me and my son if a few more years!  Thank you for sharing that.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010 - 11:51:57 AM »
That's awesome. I have a few friends that do projects with their sons and it so awesome seeing it instead of the kids out on the streets getting in trouble. It instills pride and provides some great bonding time which every son needs with his dad. I have a 17 y/o daughter. She doesn't like to get her hands dirty.  :roflsmiley:Maybe I'll do some sewing with her.....not!! :smilielol:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:42:19 PM »
He did real well with it, but I was following in Christine and could tell when I asked him to pull around me so he'd be in front of me once out on the highway, he was "Testing", or "satisfying" his curiousity by finally getting the chance to "Step on it"..

I just figured he'd pull around in good time..Well, as I heard the roar of that Holley Dominator and Flowmaster 3" exhaust, then seeing my car for the ONLY TIME without myself driving coming at me in the rear view mirror...I was praying that he didn't get in over his head, but later he was telling me he was a little hesitant about "Testing the water", as I might be upset with him...

I never said a word, but I could tell the car made it around Christine at an alarmingly fast pace so to speak, but he kept it under control...I have never been so proud. He respected my wishes and never once took it above 3000 RPM like I wanted, but he did say "Well, you didn't say anything about how fast I could get to 3000 RPM right?" I had to smile inside as that is something I woulda said myself...LOL..

As stated above, I woulda killed for a "Cool" Dad back when i was his age that had fast cars and such, but it just wasn't to be..
Poor 'ol Dad loved cars (God rest his soul), but could hardly change oil. So, I had to rely on my buddies and their cousins for my High Perf. fix..This led to ALOT of street racing scenes and the like.. I figure if He can get his respect and "Fix" from home, he will be more likey NOT to do the things I did..It really is kinda weird when he tells his buddies from school that "This is "My Dad"..Of course, I'm not his "REAL" dad, but to be considered for the role is kinda cool..I can only hope that one day when I'm all bent, gray, and old, he'll at least have some cool stories to tell the grandkids about "Grand daddy's car"...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)