Author Topic: just bought one of those "not for sale " cars!  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Jamie

just bought one of those "not for sale " cars!
« on: May 16, 2010 - 12:02:32 AM »
This is the 70 hemi cuda in a barn I have been hearing about for 3 years.Turned out to be my favorite 1971 and a small block.The owner was never going to do a thing with it ,but knew what he had.Was stuck in the dirt.I just happened to be there with cash when he was ready.(did not steal this by any means)
 Its orange on orange.local delaware car .318 stick.fixed rear windows and a coat of large metal flake that reminds me of the carnival ride paints.other than the paint and cragers, it is bone stock.
I will finish a project.I will finish a project. I will finish a project.

70 barracuda plum crazy
( current goal is to keep just one car) AND FINISH IT!
08 charger r/t  w/road & track package
2011 silverado

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: just bought one of those "not for sale " cars!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010 - 12:24:34 AM »
A '71 with a 4 speed? Not too shabby!  :2thumbs:

Although it looks like I should buy some stock in AMD, going to be a bit of a project for sure. Best of luck!  :bigsmile:

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 - 02:39:24 AM »
Looks like shes gonna take some work but good score  :thumbsup:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:21:29 AM »
congrats on the purchase  :2thumbs:    when will you start work on it.....?
*** Bart ***

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010 - 10:48:47 AM »
I'd be happy with it . . . nice job!  :bigsmile:

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010 - 11:26:38 AM »
Awesome!  Great too see another out of a barn and on it's way to be back on the road.   :2thumbs:  Have fun with it and keep us posted on the work you're going to be doing on it!!!

Sean

Offline Jamie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:15:57 PM »
Have to sell the 73 project first .Cannot start ripping on this one until I have the garage space. Plus the money I get out of the 73 can go right into sheetmetal. I Have a 360 mopar parts crate engine, But I think with a 71 I would love to have a big block shaker.but because its all numbers matching would I be stupid to rip out the 318 and hide it in the corner.Luckily the underside does not look like the outside.just needs a driver floor and trunk pan.but because its all numbers matching would I be stupid to rip out the 318 and hide it in the corner?

70 barracuda plum crazy
2011 silverado

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010 - 03:37:59 PM »
I Have a 360 mopar parts crate engine, But I think with a 71 I would love to have a big block shaker.but because its all numbers matching would I be stupid to rip out the 318 and hide it in the corner.[/quote]

One way of the other, the 318 has got to go.  Having a 360 in a car already set up for a small block (will still need new motor mounts) is the way to go unless you absolutely must have a big block.  When I actually see these cars on the road, they usually have a small block given the mgp's.  Most of the big block cars I am aware of spend even more time in the garage.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010 - 03:42:01 PM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010 - 08:32:32 PM »
but because its all numbers matching would I be stupid to rip out the 318 and hide it in the corner?

I don't think so. A crate 360 would go right in, and you could always put the #'s 318 back in if you decided to show/sell it. Best of both worlds really. Or build a 408 stroker. Plenty of power, and no major changes to the car to go back to #'s matching.

On the other hand, it really depends on what you're going to do with the car. A streetable 350 hp 318 isn't all that hard to accomplish, and if your plan is just to cruise/drive it they're plenty fun. Hell I think the stock-ish rebuilt 318 in my Challenger is fun, and I still only have 3.23 rear gears. It can't put out more than 250 hp. Obviously not nearly the same as have a high hp big block, but most of the high hp big block cars I see get driven to shows like grandma going to the grocery store. Why bother? So you can say "yeah its got a big block in it" without mentioning that its never been over the posted speed limit by more than 5 mph and never seen the track? A 350 hp 318 with a set of 3.55's or 3.73's would be plenty of fun.

But maybe I'm just biased. I like small blocks, I think the 318 is horribly underrated (they can easily do battle with the cookie-cutter 350 Chevy crowd), and with the advent of the small block stroker kits (390, 408, 416 etc) I think that small blocks are a better choice for a well balanced, good handling, frequently driven car. But you know what they say about opinions... ;)

Offline acudanut

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010 - 09:03:52 PM »
IMO, it just a 318 car and the numbers matching drivetrain won't help it much anyway. Build it the way you want and have fun. :cheers:

Offline Jamie

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010 - 10:34:15 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback. now it is just a matter of time until the teardown begins.I am putting the 73 back together so I can trailer it to the ocean city maryland show this weekend.This place draws an insane amount of people.Maybe I can find someone with a little bit of cuda love needing to buy the car.I will post a new resto thread once I get to work on the 71. Thanks,Jamie

70 barracuda plum crazy
2011 silverado

Offline 4x4HEMIrig

• U. S. Navy: Interior Communications Electrician
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010 - 01:49:46 AM »
Nice find Dude! Good luck on your project man!  :working:
-Aaron-
Bozeman, MT, USA (and wherever the Navy takes me)

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Rigid industries off road lights, Rough Country 4" suspension lift, CB radio... still working on it.
Fellow Service Members and Veterans, join me on www.togetherweserved.com, JK owners at www.jkowners.com, and Hemi Truck owners (and former owners) on www.hemitruckclub.com.
Former wheels: 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 Rallye, 2003 Hemi Ram 1500, 2006 Dodge Charger R/T.
Future projects in the garage: Streetable .030 over 383, 1977 Chevy Custom 20 SC/LB.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010 - 07:49:46 AM »
Congrads on finding the car of your dreams. Looks like a little welding is in order. Best of luck!   :cheers:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010 - 10:20:14 AM »
Great score - LUV those 71's.  Drop in the 360 and let 'r rip
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010 - 12:59:53 PM »
I'm with acudanut. A numbers 318 car, even a 71 BARA'cuda, isn't going to be worth more than a non-numbers B/RB 71 'cuda clone or street machine. Unless you are a "numbers matching or it's sacrilege" guy I wouldn't worry about numbers.

Whether you go big block or stay with your 360 for the MPG's is your deal, BUT if it were mine I would be enticed to keep your 360 since you already own it and you would have to source more parts for a big block build. Then I would get in touch with www.wardracingenterprises.com for a turbo kit. That's just me though.