Resetting odometer, clock hands not moving

Author Topic: Resetting odometer, clock hands not moving  (Read 3625 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Resetting odometer, clock hands not moving
« on: May 22, 2010 - 04:41:02 PM »
I have a speedo that hangs at 10mph when stopped.....and runs 10mph too high at all speeds...odometer is fine.

So I bought two gauge clusters at a swap meet awhile back aiming to get a good speedo.

One was $25, the other about $75 I think.

The $25 one I bought for the speedo first, as the rest was not in great shape....  and then I found the better $75 one with a clock in it and very clear plastic, needle paint is excellent etc.

Well, today I started tinkering.  I hooked up the clock's connection to 12v   and the case to ground, but no luck....I also tried spinning the setting gears and the hands dont move....       :stomp

Bummer. Oh well.

The speedo seems to spin OK.  SO, aside from deciding what to do to replace the ammeter  (clock wont interchange with any other hole as I had hoped), I guess all I can do is try it in the dash.

So then I started playing with the $25 cluster , complete with badly scratched plastic, broken ammeter and faded needles...which is now my test guineau pig.

I was able to get the speedo, which I thought was bad, freed up and it works when I spin it with a drill now....  :2thumbs:

The I looked at the odometer.

I know they arent meant to be changed....but my goal was to maybe match the "better" speedo's odometer to the current one in my car, even though I am sure THAT mileage is way wrong...or, reset it to zero....

Got it apart and now am stuck.,....how do you "clock" the odometer so it works right?  It has to be possible.

It doesnt matter since my car is registered as an antique and they dont record the mileage anywhere on antiques.  And in all likelihood I will just use the "better" speedo cluster as-is after all....even though its mileage shows different than what I have on my car's now.... which I am sure is ALSO wrong...LOL

It really isnt that important I guess ,but now I am very curious and frustrated after trying it and failing...its like a rubix cube...LOL

So....Anyone know the trick to reclock the odometer?   :clueless: Or why the hands on my clock wont budge with the setting gizmo?

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: Resetting odometer, clock hands not moving
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010 - 07:10:52 PM »
Do you have the clock knob and extention?

You have to push up while turning to get the knob to engage.

You'll have to remove and manually spin the wheels on the odometer to get it to the milage you desire. Getting it back in is the fun part.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010 - 07:50:54 PM »
Do you have the clock knob and extention?

You have to push up while turning to get the knob to engage.

You'll have to remove and manually spin the wheels on the odometer to get it to the milage you desire. Getting it back in is the fun part.

I dont have the knob and extention...I was turning the actualy gear on the back. :clueless:

I can get the thing back in...just cant figure out how to set up the dial so it reads right....I think those little black cams (two per segment) come into play but no idea how they work.....  :swear:

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010 - 02:17:18 AM »
When I put my 'cuda back together I set the odometer to zero.  I figured as so much on the car was new we would have a fresh start.

It's a bit fiddly but if you play with it you'll get the hang, I can't remember exactly but I think as you move each of the little black tabs round all the lower wheels change together.  Set the top end and then work your way down, and then it's just a case of getting it re-assembled which, as noted above, is the fun part.
'72 'cuda

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010 - 02:44:39 PM »
Patience will be your friend on this one, I re-set the O on the Charger and it took forever to get it in properly and functioning (with drill) Thankfully, I too had a spare and didnt take it apart till I had studied how it goes back together

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010 - 01:18:10 AM »
it only takes a minute or do to reset the Odometer each drum affect the next one up so rotate each drum unit hte next higher on is at zero
 RTE has new guts for the clock to get it working

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010 - 05:28:20 AM »
Thanks guys.  But is there a specific position the two little black "cams" should be in?   

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010 - 02:32:13 PM »
I just looked in the back of my spare Rallye speedo.  I think you are talking about two little black tabs on each reel ??

One tab is solid the other has a gap in it. 

There is a rectangular plate sitting about three quarters of an inch behind the face of the gauge.  The shaft for the pointer goes through a little brass bearing in the center of the plate.

The black tabs which have the gap in them locate onto the edge of this plate so they all line up like that and stay put.

I hope that makes sense - I would take a photo but no camera here at the mo.
'72 'cuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010 - 08:32:31 PM »
I just had 3 speedometers apart yesterday to fix my odometer for the power tour next week. I had to take them all apart to try to make a good one. I found out all of my gear shafts are bad, so I have a working speedo but no odometer or trip tic.  If your needle starts jumping up and down, pull your cable off right away. If it isn't the cable causing it to jump, it is the stripping white teeth on the shaft that drives the odometer.

All of those number wheels have a black plate between them that sit on the silver metal plate to keep them all aligned.

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010 - 10:56:11 PM »
I have a speedo that hangs at 10mph when stopped.....and runs 10mph too high at all speeds...odometer is fine.

Well, today I started tinkering.  I hooked up the clock's connection to 12v   and the case to ground, but no luck....I also tried spinning the setting gears and the hands dont move....
 Or why the hands on my clock wont budge with the setting gizmo?

If you are really careful, you can hold the shaft with a needle nose then twist the speedo needle back to the zero position. DO NOT PULL ON IT.  I had to change my needle because my speed bounced at anything below 60. it It finally just broke off because on the quick up and down motion.

The clock hands are not moving because the friction set point it too loose. When I put in a Borg quartz movement  from RT-ENG.COM , it has detailed instructions on setting this.  If you have that out, you might as well fix it right. You can clean the contacts and have the clock work for a little while but it wont be accurate and the points will pit again soon from the arcing.   You can probably find the info on the friction setting in the instructions to the clock upgrade.  This might help you get the stock one working?

http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/images/c/cf/EbodyRallyeClock1209.pdf

15) Install the clock face onto the clock movement. At this point, I recommend that you see if it is possible to adjust the clock setting by moving the clock set shaft, using some needle nose pliers to hold the clock set shaft. If you can’t adjust it, or you see that the gears are slipping, you may need to adjust the slip clutch to have a little less friction by bending the slip clutch spring, or by applying some light sewing machine oil to the
slip clutch. You don’t want to get the slip clutch too loose, as the clock won’t keep proper time if you get it too loose.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010 - 10:58:54 PM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0