Author Topic: Drip rail question  (Read 4346 times)

Offline JigSawMan

Drip rail question
« on: May 22, 2010 - 05:21:45 PM »
I want to weep, really  :crying:    But I guess I knew this before I got it.  The worst part of this 73 Barracuda is the sheet metal under the shiny chrome drip rails.  The roof skin has literally rusted away here and the inner sheet metal is almost all gone as well from the pillars to the sail panels.  Someone just stuffed a bunch of fiberglass in along the drip rails hoping for some sort of fix.  What a mess.

So I am going to need some of that inner sheet metal if anyone can point me in the right direction.  I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
JSM

OxfordMotorSports

Re: Drip rail question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010 - 05:57:59 PM »
I want to weep, really  :crying:    But I guess I knew this before I got it.  The worst part of this 73 Barracuda is the sheet metal under the shiny chrome drip rails.  The roof skin has literally rusted away here and the inner sheet metal is almost all gone as well from the pillars to the sail panels.  Someone just stuffed a bunch of fiberglass in along the drip rails hoping for some sort of fix.  What a mess.

So I am going to need some of that inner sheet metal if anyone can point me in the right direction.  I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
JSM

I just did one a few months ago (71 Cuda) but I had a parts car available to me. Anyone on the aftermarket?

Todd
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010 - 10:45:30 PM by OxfordMotorSports »

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010 - 06:40:03 PM »
I know that AMD makes the roof skin, drip rails and inner structure. I have heard that the fitment is pretty good with them but I do not have any personal experience with installing them. her is a link for their site.
http://www.autometaldirect.com/
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010 - 07:16:01 PM »
Roof rot sucks!

Most of that inner stuff is not being repro'ed. A donor car would be a plus or you can fab it yourself, if you have the skills and equipment or find a competent shop. (That's a toughie!)

Check the resto thread from member wagesofsin. That guy is a fab-master and went to town on his cuda's roof.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010 - 10:44:34 PM »
 :iagree: You'll need to get the inner structure parts from a doner car.  The top skin and outer drip rails are available from AMD.  Let me know if you are interested and I will give you the cc.com member discount.

:useless:

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010 - 08:02:57 AM »
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=54767.105

Page 8 is where John starts the roof stuff.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010 - 12:28:46 PM »
Make sure you remove any other surface rust issues you may have in your roof structure. Don't just cover it up. Bag the car and spot blast it as needed.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010 - 12:40:44 PM »
The three cross bows are being reproduced, but the structure over the side windows can be repaired somewhat easily.
there are actually a few threads in the resto section that address this problem.
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline JigSawMan

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010 - 05:49:22 PM »
Geez!  Thanks for all of the help!  Those pictures and post referrals are awesome.  Also thanks for the discount on future products.  I had already been to your web site and downloaded the catalog.  I won't be purchasing probably until next month, but when I do, I'll hit you up.  I'll get you guys some pictures shortly.
JSM

Offline JigSawMan

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010 - 07:25:49 PM »
What's the panel under the rear window on the outside and between the two quarter panels called?  It would seem that this is also full of rust and crappy fiberglass too.  I'll be needing one of them.
JSM

wagesofsin

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010 - 07:44:46 PM »
What's the panel under the rear window on the outside and between the two quarter panels called?  It would seem that this is also full of rust and crappy fiberglass too.  I'll be needing one of them.
JSM

dutchman

Offline JigSawMan

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010 - 07:46:16 PM »

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010 - 08:14:51 PM »
Some folks refer to it as a deck panel also.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010 - 09:56:13 PM »
Get rid of the rest of the surface rust surrounding all of the areas you are cutting out. Don't just cover it up or prime it. If you plan on keeping the car any length of time you'll wish you had.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline JigSawMan

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010 - 10:21:19 PM »
Yeah, the plan it do what I did to my Pro Street 66 Mustang.  Cut away all sheet metal that can't be saved, remove all rust, inside and out and replace all removed sheet metal.  I hate to half-ass anything.
JSM