Author Topic: Chasing the Bodyline  (Read 8046 times)

OxfordMotorSports

Re: Chasing the Bodyline
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010 - 05:38:44 PM »
Yes - that's a big car. I do it every day so it's become fairly easy. Just be patient and let the block and paper do their job. I still recommend to all of you the Extreme light weight filler in the PINK can. I love the stuff. I never use much filler but when I do - it's the only way to go. If you can - use the 3M Green sand paper. Cheap paper will clog and make the finish work that much harder.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010 - 06:19:15 PM »
You know there are other brands of sandpaper and some will cost more than 3M, and some cheaper paper actually works and lasts more than 3M
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010 - 09:48:08 PM »
You know there are other brands of sandpaper and some will cost more than 3M, and some cheaper paper actually works and lasts more than 3M

Come on exvelocity. Nothing beats 3M. :horse: All of their products are superior to the competitions. As for expense - I not only use the stuff - I sell it. My supplier is National Oak. :chatting: The next cheapest is the Mirka line. I don't know who you buy from but if you're paying more than 3M price for another brand you're being over charged.  :bricks1: :money:

I respect everyone's opinion on these boards. :ylsuper: Everyone has a favorite product. Use what you like best. I use what I know is best after doing this day in day out for 33 years. I'm just giving you my honest OPINION. :thumbsup:

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010 - 10:53:01 PM »
Come on exvelocity. Nothing beats 3M. :horse: All of their products are superior to the competitions. As for expense - I not only use the stuff - I sell it. My supplier is National Oak. :chatting: The next cheapest is the Mirka line. I don't know who you buy from but if you're paying more than 3M price for another brand you're being over charged.  :bricks1: :money:

I respect everyone's opinion on these boards. :ylsuper: Everyone has a favorite product. Use what you like best. I use what I know is best after doing this day in day out for 33 years. I'm just giving you my honest OPINION. :thumbsup:

Todd

OMS

NYC

Why do you think one of the reasons I bought 3M body filler? Because their products work!

Ever try a competitors Scotch brite pad? They suck. Only 3M scotch pads last and work.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010 - 11:04:51 PM »
I was just responding to exvelocity.  I agree with you Topcat. 3M rules :ylsuper: I like the Evercoat product line next. I am stuck on the Rage bondo though.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010 - 08:18:29 AM »
Todd, why no glaze?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010 - 09:40:41 AM »
Todd, why no glaze?

The Evercoat G2 is a polyester catalyzed primer surfacer that fills and and seals imperfections. Sand scratches, pinholes, dye back and shrinking in bondo are a body shops worst nightmare. Glaze products are just an extension of the problem. I work through to 220 grit paper on my final sand on bondo work. Once the filler is sanded dead on I let it cure for 48hrs. Then I'll spray two coats of G2 on all of my filler spots, going a couple of inches out into the straight panel. It just gives you the perfect level surface for final blocking. It works perfect and I swear by it.

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010 - 10:02:20 AM »

Todd

OMS

NYC

LMAO!Just because you sell 3M doesn't mean it's the best . Ever heard of Norton,Carborandum,Sunmight? Most of their stuff is the best on the market when it comes to abrasives, because that's all they do. 3M buys out anything that's good and competes with their products ,I guess that's one of the best ways to control the competition. What I hate about them, is that they bought Duramix, which was IMHO the best line of two-part adhesives,so now you have to buy a different gun to use their Automix line, which is not the same as Duramix,because the mixing ratio has changed.  Now there is nothing wrong with 3M,I use alot of their products at the shop and get it at 33% off . BTW I'm no newbie to autobody and paint industry,and have been doing it day in and out for over 22 years,20 of which running my own shop, and working 12 hours + a day

Stefan
Stefan B

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010 - 10:28:41 AM »
LMAO!Just because you sell 3M doesn't mean it's the best . Ever heard of Norton,Carborandum,Sunmight? Most of their stuff is the best on the market when it comes to abrasives, because that's all they do. 3M buys out anything that's good and competes with their products ,I guess that's one of the best ways to control the competition. What I hate about them, is that they bought Duramix, which was IMHO the best line of two-part adhesives,so now you have to buy a different gun to use their Automix line, which is not the same as Duramix,because the mixing ratio has changed.  Now there is nothing wrong with 3M,I use alot of their products at the shop and get it at 33% off . BTW I'm no newbie to autobody and paint industry,and have been doing it day in and out for over 22 years,20 of which running my own shop, and working 12 hours + a day

Stefan

I was clear on MY opinion. Not trying to make a contest out of it. I've been doing this for 33 years. I work 7 days a week the same hours you put in. Rarely a day off. I know where you are coming from. 3M makes the best product not because I sell it but because I use it. No other sand paper on the market matches 3M. Same with there buffing compounds. My opinion of course.

By the way - Norton,Carborandum,Sunmight - suck. :roflsmiley:

Todd

OMS

NYC

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010 - 10:49:02 AM »
I'm glad it's your opinion and NOT a fact :roflsmiley:

how many pieces of 6" 3M Gold d/a paper will it take sand a whole small 4 door car?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010 - 11:29:05 AM by elitecustombody »
Stefan B

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010 - 12:05:37 PM »
I'm glad it's your opinion and a fact :roflsmiley:

how many pieces of 6" 3M Gold d/a paper will it take sand a whole small 4 door car?  :popcorn:

At MY shop or YOURS? :roflsmiley: I take all of my cars to metal. Part chemical stripper - sandblasting where needed. I think we have a bit of a different approach to SANDING down cars. I don't sand them down. :cooldancing:

Two days to take a complete car - any size - down to cold hard steel. You can keep the sandpaper.

Todd

Oxford MotorSports

New York Customs

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010 - 12:57:44 PM »
At MY shop or YOURS? :roflsmiley: I take all of my cars to metal. Part chemical stripper - sandblasting where needed. I think we have a bit of a different approach to SANDING down cars. I don't sand them down. :cooldancing:

Two days to take a complete car - any size - down to cold hard steel. You can keep the sandpaper.

Todd

Oxford MotorSports

New York Customs

Maybe you don't sand them down,but your do-boys  :dunno:

So when you get a customer with late model car that wants a colorchange ,you'll strip the whole car to metal? Or a simple fender bender, you strip the whole car if there is light bodywork or do you just drill out spot welds and replace panels because of a scratch? Or how about a car you did that needs touch up work,especially if it's a complicated paint job with graphics,candy,pearl,flake,e.t.c. do you strip it all down to metal or send them down the road because they do not want to strip the car to metal? Wonder who or what insurance co. would be stupid enough to do that or pay a shop to strip a car down to metal for no reason. What makes you think your metal prep work is superior to latest OEM anti-corrosion process? Do you have access to multimillion dollar sterile facility that offers metal washing, dipping and  application of primers and topcoats ?

BTW, I work on anything from vintage cars to muscle cars to late model cars,trucks SUV's,bikes,airplanes and anything in between, some of these job do not require stripping  to bare metal,especially when some of them come in for touch up and spot repair and keep original paint & value 

You may step off the hockey puck pedestal before you fall and God forbid break something   
Stefan B

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010 - 01:35:01 PM »
How did a thread on sanding get so complicated. You must not have caught any of my past threads about what I do. I restore investment motor vehicles. I did the bump and grind collision shop thing for 25 years. I finally got to the point where I DIDN'T have to do it anymore. For the past 7 years I've done NOTHING but FULL restorations and COMPLETE custom paint jobs. I restore many of my own collectibles for resale. So - no - I don't patch a fender or straighten a quarter panel anymore - nor would I. Been there - done that. Collision shops are a dime a dozen. Full restoration shops are few and far between. My paint and body supply store is new this year. I'm stocking every line and every brand that I can. That way the customer can decide how much they wish to spend on a product.

Enough of the p#ssing contest.  :cheers: Enjoy what you do. I'm sure you do it well.

Todd

Oxford MotorSports

New York Customs

wagesofsin

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010 - 02:15:58 PM »
how bout some pics? i havent seen any yet......  as for so off topic... any man can dig a hole , but a wise man stops digging while he can still climb out.

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010 - 02:36:15 PM »
how bout some pics? i havent seen any yet......  as for so off topic... any man can dig a hole , but a wise man stops digging while he can still climb out.

I'll have some interesting pics to post soon. As for off topic your statement is correct. Enough said.

Todd

OMS

NYC