Author Topic: Body Shop Fiasco....  (Read 7425 times)

lemonboy69

Body Shop Fiasco....
« on: October 15, 2004 - 03:26:02 AM »

Just when I thought things were running smoothly and my car would come home.... >:( >:(

::VENT ON::

(Today is referencing Thursday morning... just an FYI)

So.. I hadn't been up to the body shop for a bit, but I had talked with Ed (the owner) and he agreed to let me work in the shop blasting parts and what not to help cut some costs. So, today, I went up there to work right after I got off work at 7am from the overnight shift. I had talked with Rich (the guy NOW working on my car) and he told me he needed my fender and door bolts so we could start getting everything lined up and what not... no problem, I took those with me. So I get up there, and I see that my car is STILL in primer, and that Rich and another guy named Jeff (not the Jeff that originally started the work on my car) were block sanding the primer. Ok, good, at least it's going to be straight and smooth. Well, I saw Jeff (the one who did the awesome body work) had started on an old Thunderbird that was there. So, I went over to talk to him real quick. He seemed really urcked and upset. He pulled me a side and said Mike, I'm glad you're here. It turns out, Jeff had the car in primer, block sanded and READY for paint, when Ed pulled the car away from him and gave it to Rich. Ed wanted work started on the Thunderbird. So, now that Rich had the car, he took it upon himself to switch somethings around that Jeff had fixed. There was a big lip in the wheelwell from the new quarters, so Rich trimmed it down, AND (this one gets me), Rich added a body line. On the '67-9 'Cuda's, there's a body line towards the bottom of the front fender that extends across the door, then slowly fades out...does it continue to the rear quarter, we're not quite sure. Rich thought it did. So he added it in, without bothering to ask me. After Jeff informed me of this, along with a few other things, I was quite perturbed about the whole situation. According to Jeff, the car SHOULD HAVE been painted last week, as it was ready when it was taken out of his hands... now, it's going to be AT LEAST another week before she's ready!!! :o ::) :'( If Ed ends up charging me for this extra blocking work, I'm going to tell him to shove it up his ass because it was UNCALLED for as well as UNNECCESSARY!!! >:( >:( For those that didn't know, the body shop bill, after all the body work and paint, was going to be around $18,500 on the HIGH ballpark side... :o :o Ed wants to get my car out of the shop at around $15,000 (he's being generous). Hence why I'm trying to do some free work and get things prepped, such as the rear end, suspension pieces, k-frame, etc... I got the 8 3/4 about 2/3 of the blasted today, and I touched up the k-frame, so that's at least ready for paint. It'll probably be another couple hours of blasting on the rear end, then that will also be ready. I got all of my suspension pieces ready for new bushing today, and unrusted the torsion bar adjusting ears as those were NICELY rusted in place.

::VENT OFF::

So, all in all, it's been a very fustrating day. All I really want, before the weather gets too cold, is to have my garage finished and my baby back home so I can start working on her again. I almost scored a sponsorship with a local Dodge dealer, but his business is too slow right now to be able to help me out. He is willing to get me parts at cost, so that helps some!! Guess there's always a little bit of light shining through all the mess... ::) ::)

Thanks for listening guys, EVERYBODY here is part of my 2nd family, and I know I can count on you guys for a shoulder to lean on.... I just wish I had an easy solution and fix to all this.... ::) ::) ::) anybody wanna buy a '69 'Cuda?? :'( :'( ::) :o

LB

Offline onebadhemi

Re: Body Shop Fiasco....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004 - 07:46:36 AM »
LB....... that would pi$$ me of big time. I know I would have said something to the owner right there and then!
I also would have asked why are we making these changes to the body line and wheel lips? Remember you are the customer and whats done to your car has to be cleared by you first!! It is nice that they are letting you do the work to help on the"Bill' but, do not let them do extra work to the car to make up for cost saving effort on your part.
Good luck I will be out of town for a few days but, I will call you when I get back.

Dave

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004 - 09:58:44 AM »
LB I would be quite upset as well. Hopefully it works out in the end but I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra for that work.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004 - 10:10:00 AM »
 ??? ::)  What the hey? Mike, any work that was done WITHOUT your input or approval is FREE work! What if they did something you didn't want done, and they had to change it back? Stick yo your "guns" LB, and if this shop owner in a "straight up" guy he'll not charge for the added shop time.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004 - 10:45:41 AM »
I think before you go blowing up at anyone, get the car done!   Causing waves now will only hamper the progress!  Wow LB for that kind of money, the replacement panels should be made of silver!!   :P

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004 - 12:40:54 PM »
Sorry LB . I hope you get everythign straightened out.
Dude, how are you paying off $15,000. THAT IS INSANE!!!
I guess thats why i do my own work! I didn't think your car was bad at all from the start!
For the kind of money the car should look stunning! And they should not be making custom body lines, if they wernt sure they should have checked with you!

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004 - 12:44:43 PM »
next time you want a car drive south and get one without rust  ;)

how much is the body work
and the paint seperatly
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004 - 03:02:57 PM »
Geez Mike...that's more than I have in total in my car...including the intial cost of it!  Man, I feel for ya!  I'd take 4C's advice and don't cause any waves until you get the final bill  AFTER the car is finished.  We're still having to play kissy-face with the idiot who painted our car so he'll fix his mistakes.  We should all take welding and painting classes...someone here could teach it!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

lemonboy69

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004 - 04:05:09 PM »

Thanks for the input and support guys... but at this point, if I had to, I COULD pull the car from the shop and have it painted elsewhere... it's that close to being done!! ::) ::) ::)

I would rather let them know I'm unhappy about it now, then after the fact, just seems to make more sense!!

The car was actually pretty bad off when I first took it to them... shot quarters, shot floors, shot inner fenders, shot rocker areas under the rear quarters, BAD dent in the passenger door, the front fenders have 13 and 11 brackets (handmade) to fix all the spots that were bad in them... I'd say the car was pretty bad off...

Nick, I don't know how I'm paying this off either... my Mom opened up a Home Equity Line of Credit for me to put this all against, and I've been doing that and paying plenty towards it, but once that final bill comes... I'm not sure what she's going to say (she doesn't quite know the final amount yet ::)) :'( :'( :'( Hence why I've been pushing and working real hard to find a sponsorship... the less I have to pay for on this project, the BETTER! The body shop amount doesn't include all the new parts I've bought, or the motor work yet... at least I saved myself about $1K by rebuilding the trans... that's $1K I can put elsewhere!! ::) ::)

I've been working my ass off at work, but I know that's not going to be enough, and I'm about at the point of collapsing from work...all this is just too much!!

LB

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004 - 04:18:29 PM »

Dannnng Mike that really sucks!  >:( Do you want us to go around and rough 'em up?  >:(

15G is a lot to be paying so I hope that the end result is better than you thought it would be.  :)

I wouldn't worry too much about when the car will be back atleast there trying to do it right the first time.  ;)

My painters are really good and have had my Challenger for about 4 months, was suppose to come back in september but since I changed my mind with the vinly top etc I told them to weld the holes for the body side moldings and fix the roof (they were not "too" happy because the car was finished and ready to leave LOL!! They did it and it's FINALLY ready middle of next week.
All white, no vnily top, no holes from body moldings and exactly how I want it, time was not a worry and if they said we need it for another 2 weeks to fix up a few places there not happy with? Sure, keep it and make sure your happy, I'm happy and my resto guy are happy. It's been off the road for around 18 months so whats another 2 weeks.  :) Just saying bide your time mate your awesome one of a kind blue beast will be with us soon. Think ahead to all the great times, take a seat and relax mate because even I know your car is going to be better than evern you thought.  ;) 8)

So do you want us to rough 'em up? LMAO!!

;D

Cheers Mike  ;)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004 - 05:38:05 PM »
Mike, your mother is really nice to be helping you out with your project!
Did you ever get a quote before bringing your car to the shop? 
Well you live and learn, no turning back now, The best of luck, if theres anything you need let me know bud!
Nick

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004 - 05:57:23 PM »
how much have you payed and what is the amount owed ?
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004 - 06:35:01 PM »
!5-18k is a LOT to pay for body work and paint so I would talk(nicely but firm) to the owner and make sure it is done the way you want and will not cost extra for redoing something.I do know on most aftermarket quarters i`ve seen the wheel lip is too large and needs to be trimmed but as far as I can tell the lower body line fades out at the rear of the door and does not carry on to the quarter.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Robb

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004 - 09:23:04 PM »
Body Shops are more like artists studios.   Time is an abstract concept to them. 

DUDE!     $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ^10         :o :-\ :o   
You might need several sponsors ! 

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline MoparMan

• 70 Challenger R/T, 71 Duster 340, 68 Fury
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004 - 10:48:06 PM »

LB,

I feel for ya' bud..
I have $13,000 in body and paint work on my Challenger. Yours was a lot worse than my car. You probably got the better deal. Although a lot guys in my area (Northern VA) think I got a deal due to the nice work.   
The only thing rotted on mine was the lower part of the floor underneath the back seat. This had to be handmade as you can't get that part of the floor. One or two other small parts were handmade also.
What ran the bill up on mine was the (labor) removal of undercoating, minor surface rust inside and underneath, and other filth from years of sitting.

The money seems bad right now but once you get it back, get it together and drive the car it will all be better !!

MoparMan
(Bob)